Necroposts? (Solved, can be locked)

How far back is too far back?

I wasn’t sure if this applied to posting on someone else’s topics or only your own.

It’s just that I’ve seen a few that seemed interesting here and there, but they are a few weeks old already. With forums as active as these, I figured they’d be considered “dead” by now.

Maybe I’m being too cautious, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks in advance~

Personally, I vary depending on how active the forum is. With something like the MCC or Halo 5 forums, being very active and topics dropping off after a day usually, I’d tend to say between 1 month and 2 months is pushing it and anything over that is really bringing back old threads. At that time it’s better to start a new thread rather than continue possibly redundant conversations, but maybe link to the old thread for reference. For less active forums, depending if the post is still showing on the 1st page a little longer between posts may be acceptable, but really only if you’re going to bring something useful to the topic - reignite the discussion and not just add “yeah me too” or something.

Some topics can be tricky to gauge though, as I’ve seen a few over the last few weeks that have been consistently bumped at least once per month with a few new recent replies. Even though the topic is a year old, the discussion has been kept going. I guess you could always double check with a mod before posting and see if they think it’s better to start a new topic or not. Perhaps a mod may post here too and give their thoughts on it as well :slight_smile:

Good rule of thumb: If you have to use the search feature to find the thread, it’s probably dead.

Alright, thanks for the help!