Necessary Smart Scope Changes

Smart Scope has a lot of problems that must be corrected. I will do my best to name and explain these issues.

FICTION:
Ever since Halo: Combat Evolved, zooming has been a part of gameplay that has remained the same all the way to Halo 4. Now, in Halo 5, zooming has been completely changed. Instead, it is called “Smart Scope”, and Spartans now physically move their weapon and head to aim down the sightline of a weapon. This is a complete disregard to the Halo lore. The animation for Smart Scope must change. Frank O’Connor said it himself: a SPARTAN’s weapon is cybernetically linked to the MJOLNIR armor, specifically the helmet. As a result of this advanced link, A SPARTAN does not need to physically move his weapon in order to see a zoomed reticule. The helmet visor need only to change what it is displaying to its wearer. The visor changes its display from the normal view and HUD to what the optics on the weapon see. The cybernetic link between the MJOLNIR armor and the weapon completely eliminates the need for a SPARTAN to move his/her weapon and his/her head in order to aim down the sightline of the weapon. To see a zoomed view and also being able to shoot, a SPARTAN needs only his visor to change its display to what the optics on the aimed weapon see. For the current sate of Halo 5 here are 2 lists of good and bad Smart Scope Animations:

Perfect (These Animations do NOT need to be changed for the final game):

• The Assault Rifle (the visor simply zooms in, allowing magnified aim)- The Hydra MLRS (again, the visor simply zooms in, allowing magnified aim)- The Energy Sword and The Prophet’s Bane (the visor provides a magnified view, and the SPARTAN holds the sword differently)ANIMATIONS THAT MUST BE CHANGED:
  • The Battle Rifle (the player’s view should instantly change to a magnified view with the reticule. The weapon model should not be shown on screen, as the zoomed view is what the scope on the Battle Rifle sees)- The DMR (again, the player’s view should instantly change to a magnified view with the reticule. The weapon model should not be shown on screen, as the zoomed view is what the DMR’s scope sees)- The Magnum (the player’s view should instantly change to a magnified view with the reticule. The weapon model should not be shown on screen, as the zoomed view is what the Magnum’s scope sees)- The SMG (the SPARTAN should minimally move the SMG to a more stable shooting position, and the visor should magnify its display for more ranged shooting. This animation should be very similar to the Assault Rifle’s Smart Scope animation)- The Sniper Rifle (the player’s view should instantly change to a magnified view with the reticule. The weapon model should not be shown on screen, as the zoomed view is what the Sniper Rifle’s scope sees)Unsure Animations
  • The redesigned Rocket Launcher: the scope comes out of the weapon’s chassis, and is put over the helmet. The design of this weapon may warrant its current Smart Scope animation.- The Light Rifle: As a Forerunner weapon, perhaps the Forerunners used and operated their weapons differently from the UNSC. The Light Rifle’s scope transforms into a sort of “picture frame” and comes over the helmet visor when the Rifle is moved. This is an interesting concept, and the design of this weapon may warrant its current Smart Scope animation.In conclusion, ANIMATIONS FOR SMART SCOPE MUST BE CHANGED TO FOLLOW HALO’S LORE.
    Gameplay:
    **1. Here is a link to a previous post on this subject:**https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/bee0f457ca024faba8acad15950b4db6/topics/smart-scope-has-already-been-exploited/1fe92e39-0d7f-49c6-a5c9-edfac71cfad5/posts?page=1

Smart Scope has been exploited. In Kill Cams, I have seen players rapidly zoom in and out of Smart Scope with weapons to acquire aim-assisted shots on enemy players. I believe these players are exploiting Smart Scope’s aim assist features, and with the addition of the option for Smart Scope to be on Left Trigger, this rapid scope/unscope is relatively easy. It could be said that this is a fair use of the ability, and that if one plays with a control scheme where Smart Scope is on Right Analog Stick, that player has a disadvantage. However, I think Smart Scope being on Left Trigger and players rapidly zooming in and out of Smart Scope to gain assisted headshots is an exploitation of the Smart Scope ability, and unfair to players with a different control scheme.

Here are videos showing the exploit.

Perhaps this issue could be solved by implementing the following changes to Smart Scope:

• After Smart Scoping, aim assist does not kick in until the player has been in Smart Scope for 0.3 seconds- Not allowing players to rapidly activate and deactivate Smart Scope with Left Trigger
    2. Smart Scope should not drastically increase accuracy for automatic weapons.
    In the Halo 5 Beta, Smart Scoping with the Assault Rife or SMG drastically increases their accuracy. This is a departure from the classic Halo formula. Automatic weapons normally do not have a zoom-and-fire function. Halo 5 has introduced this ability to all weapons. The drastic increase in automatic weapon accuracy when Smart Scoped makes automatic weapons unbalanced and untrue to Halo’s legacy. This should be fixed. When the Assault Rifle and SMG (or any other automatic weapon) are Smart Scoped, their accuracy should only be slightly increased.

Zoom used to affect accuracy before. I remember it clearly. But yeah, I agree. Some weapons need different scopes (the DMR is actually quite distracting).

This is the first truly constructive post I’ve seen regarding Smart Scope. However I have to disagree with you on the Battle Rifle and magnum, since they both use ironsights. Unless they have a camera mounted somewhere on top of the gun, you have nowhere for the visor to display.

• The Assault Rifle (Fine)- The Hydra MLRS (Fine)- The Energy Sword and The Prophet’s Bane (Fine)- The Battle Rifle (could use some tweaks) - The DMR (definitely need tweaks)- The Magnum (slight visual tweaks)- The SMG (slight visual tweaks)- The Sniper Rifle (Already fixing snap so should be perfect)- The redesigned Rocket Launcher (slight tweaks)- The Light Rifle (Fine)

The battle rifle should go back to the classical sights

The rapid zooming thing was a bug in the beta. No one actually did that, the kill cams were just so messed up.

They should have allowed an option on the visuals thats linked to your character like your armor. Classic zoom should be redesigned to be stylized so that when compared to SS it offer no advantage or disadvantage.
This would make the classic v SS aesthetic a personal choice.

Could also be used in campaign to help differ chief and locke.

I also want far less spread reduction aka returned to the was it was before. Shouldnt fix what isnt broken only enhance what is already there.

> 2533274924282060;3:
> This is the first truly constructive post I’ve seen regarding Smart Scope. However I have to disagree with you on the Battle Rifle and magnum, since they both use ironsights. Unless they have a camera mounted somewhere on top of the gun, you have nowhere for the visor to display.

Indeed. With the current design of the Battle Rifle and Magnum for Halo 5, the classic Halo zoom system would be implausible unless the cameras on the weapons are very small. In response to this, the aesthetic design of the Battle Rifle and Magnum must be changed. In order to have the visor change its display to what the optics on the weapon see, the Battle Rifle and Magnum models must be changed to have a visible scope/optics suite on them.

In case it wasn’t exactly clear, I will try to simplify my arguments.

1. Excluding the current animations for the Assault Rifle, Hydra MLRS, and Energy Swords, the animation for Smart Scope in Halo 5 should be exactly the same as the zooming animation has been in every other Halo. The zoom function in Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo: Reach, and Halo 4 all have the conceptually-identical animation. The player’s view changes from the first person render of the weapon and HUD to a magnified view with only the weapon reticule on screen. The equipped weapon is not shown on screen when zoomed, because what the player sees is what the optics on the equipped weapon see. Halo 5 must return to this animation style. The entire point of a SPARTAN’s weapon being cybernetically linked to the MJOLNIR armor is so that the SPARTAN does NOT need to move his/her weapon to aim down the weapon’s sightline. The current Halo 5 Smart Scope animation of the SPARTAN centering his/her weapon and moving his/her head and neck to aim down the sightline of the weapon is pointless, and completely disregards Halo lore. This aim down sights animation (similar to Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Crysis) must be removed from Halo 5, and replaced with Halo’s classic zoom animation.

2. In order to accommodate Halo’s classic zoom animation, the aesthetic design of some weapons must be changed. The Battle Rifle’s flat reflex sight must be changed to a scope. The Magnum should have a taller attachment over the front of the barrel to accommodate an optics suite.

3. People have seen the Smart Scope Exploit, and some have tried it. It proves to be highly deadly. I highly recommend watching some of the video links I have posted.

4. Smart Scoping with the Assault Rifle and SMG should only very slightly improve their accuracy and range. In the Halo 5 Beta, Smart Scoping with the Assault Rifle would drastically increase its accuracy, increase its range, and decrease its recoil. The same would apply to the SMG: Smart Scoping with the SMG would significantly increase accuracy, increase range, and decrease recoil. Automatic weapons should not have this drastic of a buff in Smart Scope. The Smart Scope buff makes fully automatic weapons overpowered, and detracts value from firing auto weapons from the hip. Halo is supposed to be played firing from the hip, only zooming to magnify sight picture and shoot targets at range. In conclusion, Smart Scoping with automatic weapons should only give them a very slight increase in accuracy, a magnified/zoomed sight picture, very slight increase in range, and very slight decrease in recoil.

Smart Scope needs to scope in faster, and the spread buffs need to be adjusted on a weapon-by-weapon basis for balancing reasons. That’s about it.

As a matter of correct gun discipline, hipfire like what used to be shown in Halo doesn’t really stand up. No good instructor would tell a student to not aim a gun properly, technology or no.

1000000% agree with OP

> 2533274903234962;2:
> Zoom used to affect accuracy before. I remember it clearly. But yeah, I agree. Some weapons need different scopes (the DMR is actually quite distracting).

It only affected snipers at extreme ranges, the main weapons were not affected at all in the main games.

> 2533274976643293;9:
> In case it wasn’t exactly clear, I will try to simplify my arguments.
>
> 1. Excluding the current animations for the Assault Rifle, Hydra MLRS, and Energy Swords, the animation for Smart Scope in Halo 5 should be exactly the same as the zooming animation has been in every other Halo. The zoom function in Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo: Reach, and Halo 4 all have the conceptually-identical animation. The player’s view changes from the first person render of the weapon and HUD to a magnified view with only the weapon reticule on screen. The equipped weapon is not shown on screen when zoomed, because what the player sees is what the optics on the equipped weapon see. Halo 5 must return to this animation style. The entire point of a SPARTAN’s weapon being cybernetically linked to the MJOLNIR armor is so that the SPARTAN does NOT need to move his/her weapon to aim down the weapon’s sightline. The current Halo 5 Smart Scope animation of the SPARTAN centering his/her weapon and moving his/her head and neck to aim down the sightline of the weapon is pointless, and completely disregards Halo lore. This aim down sights animation (similar to Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Crysis) must be removed from Halo 5, and replaced with Halo’s classic zoom animation.
> 2. In order to accommodate Halo’s classic zoom animation, the aesthetic design of some weapons must be changed. The Battle Rifle’s flat reflex sight must be changed to a scope. The Magnum should have a taller attachment over the front of the barrel to accommodate an optics suite.
>
> 3. People have seen the Smart Scope Exploit, and some have tried it. It proves to be highly deadly. I highly recommend watching some of the video links I have posted.
>
> 4. Smart Scoping with the Assault Rifle and SMG should only very slightly improve their accuracy and range. In the Halo 5 Beta, Smart Scoping with the Assault Rifle would drastically increase its accuracy, increase its range, and decrease its recoil. The same would apply to the SMG: Smart Scoping with the SMG would significantly increase accuracy, increase range, and decrease recoil. Automatic weapons should not have this drastic of a buff in Smart Scope. The Smart Scope buff makes fully automatic weapons overpowered, and detracts value from firing auto weapons from the hip. Halo is supposed to be played firing from the hip, only zooming to magnify sight picture and shoot targets at range. In conclusion, Smart Scoping with automatic weapons should only give them a very slight increase in accuracy, a magnified/zoomed sight picture, very slight increase in range, and very slight decrease in recoil.

I don’t think any benefit is really a good thing, it just creates a reason to scope in, which in 343s words breaks the game.

> 2533274796029854;4:
> - The Assault Rifle (Fine)
> - The Hydra MLRS (Fine)
> - The Energy Sword and The Prophet’s Bane (Fine)
> - The Battle Rifle (could use some tweaks)
> - The DMR (definitely need tweaks)
> - The Magnum (slight visual tweaks)
> - The SMG (slight visual tweaks)
> - The Sniper Rifle (Already fixing snap so should be perfect)
> - The redesigned Rocket Launcher (Fine)
> - The Light Rifle (Fine)

You mean Light Rifle is freaking PERFECT. Seriously, that animation is crazy awesome.

> 2533274903234962;14:
> > 2533274796029854;4:
> > - The Assault Rifle (Fine)
> > - The Hydra MLRS (Fine)
> > - The Energy Sword and The Prophet’s Bane (Fine)
> > - The Battle Rifle (could use some tweaks)
> > - The DMR (definitely need tweaks)
> > - The Magnum (slight visual tweaks)
> > - The SMG (slight visual tweaks)
> > - The Sniper Rifle (Already fixing snap so should be perfect)
> > - The redesigned Rocket Launcher (Fine)
> > - The Light Rifle (Fine)
>
>
> You mean Light Rifle is freaking PERFECT. Seriously, that animation is crazy awesome.

Agreed It was awesome it functions awesome the weapon is awesome. But i was just trying to keep thing uniform in the list.
Really smart scope is something i have been wanting since i first read the books, Ar and pretty much any weapon have some form of optics that the spartans and even ODST can use Heck even Marine and infantry have minimal HUD’s were smart scope can function. But they only had it on BR, DMR, and Sniper, I always felt they should expand. and im glade they did, I do think some of the scopes need tweaked and fixed, DMR the main focus. But really i never had my view so obstructed that it caused problem on any of the weapons except DMR,

> 2533274796029854;15:
> > 2533274903234962;14:
> > > 2533274796029854;4:
> > > - The Assault Rifle (Fine)
> > > - The Hydra MLRS (Fine)
> > > - The Energy Sword and The Prophet’s Bane (Fine)
> > > - The Battle Rifle (could use some tweaks)
> > > - The DMR (definitely need tweaks)
> > > - The Magnum (slight visual tweaks)
> > > - The SMG (slight visual tweaks)
> > > - The Sniper Rifle (Already fixing snap so should be perfect)
> > > - The redesigned Rocket Launcher (Fine)
> > > - The Light Rifle (Fine)
> >
> >
> >
> > You mean Light Rifle is freaking PERFECT. Seriously, that animation is crazy awesome.
>
>
> Agreed It was awesome it functions awesome the weapon is awesome. But i was just trying to keep thing uniform in the list.
> Really smart scope is something i have been wanting since i first read the books, Ar and pretty much any weapon have some form of optics that the spartans and even ODST can use Heck even Marine and infantry have minimal HUD’s were smart scope can function. But they only had it on BR, DMR, and Sniper, I always felt they should expand. and im glade they did, I do think some of the scopes need tweaked and fixed, DMR the main focus. But really i never had my view so obstructed that it caused problem on any of the weapons except DMR,

Yeah, same. But the Magnum was a bit annoying at times, as was the Rocket Launcher, actually. Felt clunky.

> 2533274903234962;16:
> > 2533274796029854;15:
> > > 2533274903234962;14:
> > > > 2533274796029854;4:
> > > > - The Assault Rifle (Fine)
> > > > - The Hydra MLRS (Fine)
> > > > - The Energy Sword and The Prophet’s Bane (Fine)
> > > > - The Battle Rifle (could use some tweaks)
> > > > - The DMR (definitely need tweaks)
> > > > - The Magnum (slight visual tweaks)
> > > > - The SMG (slight visual tweaks)
> > > > - The Sniper Rifle (Already fixing snap so should be perfect)
> > > > - The redesigned Rocket Launcher (Fine)
> > > > - The Light Rifle (Fine)
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > You mean Light Rifle is freaking PERFECT. Seriously, that animation is crazy awesome.
> >
> >
> >
> > Agreed It was awesome it functions awesome the weapon is awesome. But i was just trying to keep thing uniform in the list.
> > Really smart scope is something i have been wanting since i first read the books, Ar and pretty much any weapon have some form of optics that the spartans and even ODST can use Heck even Marine and infantry have minimal HUD’s were smart scope can function. But they only had it on BR, DMR, and Sniper, I always felt they should expand. and im glade they did, I do think some of the scopes need tweaked and fixed, DMR the main focus. But really i never had my view so obstructed that it caused problem on any of the weapons except DMR,
>
>
> Yeah, same. But the Magnum was a bit annoying at times, as was the Rocket Launcher, actually. Felt clunky.

You do have a point i was talking to a friend about the pistol it felt a bit off. ANd i changed my original post I do remember the rocket have some minor issues, it could use being a little more snappy. But over all i think its a very neat addition

If all the zooms are like the Assault Rifle then there is no smart scope right?

Nice post OP. I couldn’t agree more about the lore and how 343I is pretty much throwing it out the window…it’s sad.

I agree with a lot your saying and agree with you. This being said, I think we all know the smart scope animation isn’t going anywhere. The best we can hope is an option to use the old zoom look. I would be beyond happy about this if they added this option in. Also remember, if we’re suppose to be this super solider I should be able to make my HUD look and feel how I want too… aka choosing which “smart scope” I use.

I have been waiting for the smart scope for a long time ever sense call of duty. I know everybody likes using the zoom in mode, I mean so am I but I still think this will bring in call of duty fans to play halo for once too. Well, if possible try to keep the zoom in mode and the smart scope and this will definitely make Halo better.