Native Elite Controller support for Halo 5

Hey there. So like many of you, I am very excited for the Elite controller and plan on picking one up at release.

However, I feel that all the features that are included with the new controller can be made even better for use with shooters if the paddles can be mapped to new additional functions rather than just replacements of current buttons.

Since the Elite controller is fully remappable, I see a flaw in not allowing an additional button mapping for a “P1, P2, P3, & P4” (Paddles 1-4) that would allow for native functions within games rather than pressing current actions and combos.

For example, a player without an Elite controller can still have their ground pound activated by crouching in mid-air. However, a player with an elite controller couple map “Ground Pound” to “P1” and have that function only work off the back paddle, so they can continue to crouch-jump and such.

It would be one thing if the remapping was done completely done physically on the controller, but since the remapping is done via software, there’s no reason not to include an additional button command that could be implemented by shooters that wanted to include native support for the Elite controller.

Totally Agree.

Me too.

I also concur.

… Not sure. Ground Pound is mapped to Melee now, not Crouch.

Wanting to separate certain actions feels like wanting to take away situational awareness that others must have due to the sharing of some inputs.

In a perfect world, the Elite controller would have launched with the XB1 as the default controller. And with that, I would fully support being able to PC-our controller mapping more specifically. We’d all have the option to do so.

Being allowed to separate Board from Reload to ensure one never accidentally does one over the other because they can but others must buy into that convenience… Nope. Don’t approve.

Yes, there’s already an inherent advantage to what the Elite offers, but that’s a matter of input positioning, not input selection… Though I do hope I can now up my sensitivity up to 10 and adjust the Elite’s values to make myself quite the snappy reticle :smiley:

Can’t support that in a competitive game; any kind of advantage brought about by a non-standard interface shouldn’t be allowed. The increased sensitivity and remapping is already kind of sketchy for MS to be doing; if they gave the controller a whole new set of available inputs, it’d just be nonsense, and give players and advantage simply because they spent more.

The whole point of console competitive gaming is to have a level playing field; you know that 99% of the people you face off against have the same setup as you, and that the 1% who has an advantage is soon to be banned for tampering with the console’s hardware.

In any single player games, sure, I’d be all for as much customization. Bring it on; that’s the player’s experience to do with as they please. In multiplayer though, it’s a hardware version of pay-to-win, and defeats the whole basis of the competition.

I already have a elite controller… It’s called a scuf controller and I use it for cod and halo
also I’m getting the xim4 in October (mouse and keyboard for xbox one or ps4 or any last gen console)

I think it’s pretty cool but i really see it as an advantage, this elite controller can make not fair the games between players

> 2533274866939692;8:
> I think it’s pretty cool but i really see it as an advantage, this elite controller can make not fair the games between players

It’s the exact same thing as a scuf which I use already every day. It’s not cheating because at heart it’s still a controller. Just a more precise controller. It’s like on PC it’s not cheating to have a better mouse or a pro razr gaming keyboard. It’s along the same lines

> 2533274795515722;7:
> I already have a elite controller… It’s called a scuf controller and I use it for cod and halo
> also I’m getting the xim4 in October (mouse and keyboard for xbox one or ps4 or any last gen console)

There goes one of the things I’ve always favored about consoles over PC; restricting everyone to the more or less “same” handheld controller.

> 2775209234672000;10:
> > 2533274795515722;7:
> > I already have a elite controller… It’s called a scuf controller and I use it for cod and halo
> > also I’m getting the xim4 in October (mouse and keyboard for xbox one or ps4 or any last gen console)
>
>
> There goes one of the things I’ve always favored about consoles over PC; restricting everyone to the more or less “same” handheld controller.

It’s still a controller I just have trigger stops and paddles
also I have an adapter to I can use a 360 controller on PS3 (it’s a better controller)

I really hope this is considered not just for halo, but for every game. Much like the 3DS, circle pad pro and n3DS, games can work on all 3 but some games support extra functions like a button that goes directly to a map, or inventory, quest sheet, etc.

They wouldn’t have to support competitive play either. They always state very quickly what kinds of controllers or characters (fighting games) are permitted so they would simply say “no elite controllers” and anyone fussed about it would play regularly.

> 2533274795515722;11:
> > 2775209234672000;10:
> > > 2533274795515722;7:
> > > I already have a elite controller… It’s called a scuf controller and I use it for cod and halo
> > > also I’m getting the xim4 in October (mouse and keyboard for xbox one or ps4 or any last gen console)
> >
> >
> > There goes one of the things I’ve always favored about consoles over PC; restricting everyone to the more or less “same” handheld controller.
>
>
> It’s still a controller I just have trigger stops and paddles
> also I have an adapter to I can use a 360 controller on PS3 (it’s a better controller)

its cheating end of. It Provides you with a unfair advantage against others who do not know about the existence of the Elite Controller and people who don’t have £120 to spare because they have families to feed…

Maybe if the price difference for the elite controller was smaller

> 2533274883108544;13:
> > 2533274795515722;11:
> > > 2775209234672000;10:
> > > > 2533274795515722;7:
> > > > I already have a elite controller… It’s called a scuf controller and I use it for cod and halo
> > > > also I’m getting the xim4 in October (mouse and keyboard for xbox one or ps4 or any last gen console)
> > >
> > >
> > > There goes one of the things I’ve always favored about consoles over PC; restricting everyone to the more or less “same” handheld controller.
> >
> >
> > It’s still a controller I just have trigger stops and paddles
> > also I have an adapter to I can use a 360 controller on PS3 (it’s a better controller)
>
>
> its cheating end of. It Provides you with a unfair advantage against others who do not know about the existence of the Elite Controller and people who don’t have £120 to spare because they have families to feed…

In a way its cheating, but it wouldmt really matter too much unless you were a serious professional gamer.

Also, @OP if button remapping were possible inthe way you stated it would be just as easy for it to work on ANY controller. If its remapping the game and not the controller, you dont need an elite to change anything.

> 2533274883108544;13:
> > 2533274795515722;11:
> > > 2775209234672000;10:
> > > > 2533274795515722;7:
> > > > I already have a elite controller… It’s called a scuf controller and I use it for cod and halo
> > > > also I’m getting the xim4 in October (mouse and keyboard for xbox one or ps4 or any last gen console)
> > >
> > >
> > > There goes one of the things I’ve always favored about consoles over PC; restricting everyone to the more or less “same” handheld controller.
> >
> >
> > It’s still a controller I just have trigger stops and paddles
> > also I have an adapter to I can use a 360 controller on PS3 (it’s a better controller)
>
>
> its cheating end of. It Provides you with a unfair advantage against others who do not know about the existence of the Elite Controller and people who don’t have £120 to spare because they have families to feed…

it’s not cheating at all.If everyone has the option of buying it then everyone is still on a level playing field.All these controller do is allow you to gain better muscle memory and time efficiency when playing. I’ve been playing with a Cinch Controller with 4 buttons on the back for about 1 month now and it definitely gives me confidence in my ability to compete.

> 2533274818114287;16:
> > 2533274883108544;13:
> > > 2533274795515722;11:
> > > > 2775209234672000;10:
> > > > > 2533274795515722;7:
> > > > > I already have a elite controller… It’s called a scuf controller and I use it for cod and halo
> > > > > also I’m getting the xim4 in October (mouse and keyboard for xbox one or ps4 or any last gen console)
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > There goes one of the things I’ve always favored about consoles over PC; restricting everyone to the more or less “same” handheld controller.
> > >
> > >
> > > It’s still a controller I just have trigger stops and paddles
> > > also I have an adapter to I can use a 360 controller on PS3 (it’s a better controller)
> >
> >
> > its cheating end of. It Provides you with a unfair advantage against others who do not know about the existence of the Elite Controller and people who don’t have £120 to spare because they have families to feed…
>
>
> it’s not cheating at all.If everyone has the option of buying it then everyone is still on a level playing field.All these controller do is allow you to gain better muscle memory and time efficiency when playing. I’ve been playing with a Cinch Controller with 4 buttons on the back for about 1 month now and it definitely gives me confidence in my ability to compete.

Yup. Every console has forced everyone to use the same controller.
360. OG Xbox. Gamecube. Advantageous controllers have been around since the NES, folks.

I still view it as cheating I will however use the controller but my opinion of it as been used as a cheat will not change…

Here’s the thing… Some people argue that it’s not competitive if you “spend more”… However, to play on a competitive level, there is a “required” amount of money to spend. To compete with high tier players, you’re going to need a high-end headset. There’s a reason everyone on the pro circuit uses $200+ headsets. On the competitive circuit, that is a “required” high-end purchase. I see th controller as just another required high-end purchase for playing on that level.

> 2533274860199253;1:
> Hey there. So like many of you, I am very excited for the Elite controller and plan on picking one up at release.
>
> However, I feel that all the features that are included with the new controller can be made even better for use with shooters if the paddles can be mapped to new additional functions rather than just replacements of current buttons.
>
> Since the Elite controller is fully remappable, I see a flaw in not allowing an additional button mapping for a “P1, P2, P3, & P4” (Paddles 1-4) that would allow for native functions within games rather than pressing current actions and combos.
>
> For example, a player without an Elite controller can still have their ground pound activated by crouching in mid-air. However, a player with an elite controller couple map “Ground Pound” to “P1” and have that function only work off the back paddle, so they can continue to crouch-jump and such.
>
> It would be one thing if the remapping was done completely done physically on the controller, but since the remapping is done via software, there’s no reason not to include an additional button command that could be implemented by shooters that wanted to include native support for the Elite controller.

As someone with a scuf, and some who actually DOES use a controller with paddles, I disagree. I disagree completely.
They have a choice to move certain buttons to the back paddles, that’s fine. It’s THAT much of an advantage, but it does help when you’re using it to jump, or zoom quicker, etc. Having it do as you requested, makes me think it’s going a bit far. It’s completely fine how it is.