Narrative Structure of Halo 5: Guardians

THE FOLLOWING IS THE PERSONAL OPINION OF THE O.P.

Like all of you, I too found Halo 5’s story premise to be highly ambitious before its release; but post-release, I see now that it was poorly executed.
(For my thoughts on this, please look up my previous forum post, THOUGHTS ON HALO 5: GUARDIANS AND THE FUTURE)

However, after playing through the campaign and mulling over its story and the manner in which it was told, I have come to a realization: I believe that I have discovered how the story of Halo 5 is structured from a narrative standpoint.

Below are my thoughts on how this is so.

Halsey Prologue: Foreshadowing
#1: Intro to SPARTAN-IV Fireteam Osiris
#2: Beginning of Story Proper / EXTREMELY IMPORTANT
#3-6: Main Story (From Outside Perspective)
#7: Main Story / EXTREMELY IMPORTANT
#8-12: Side Story
#13-15: Main Story
#14: Main Story / EXTREMELY IMPORTANT

Allow me to break it down:

Halsey Prologue: This is obviously meant as a foreshadowing piece, just like the prologue for HALO 4. But exactly how is unknown.
#1-OSIRIS: This level acts as an introduction to SPARTAN-IV Fireteam Osiris.
#2-BLUE TEAM: This level obviously continues the story of John-117 / The Master Chief and is the proper beginning to the story, as it is the catalyst for what comes after. EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO THE STORY
#3-GLASSED: This level is part of the main story, except that it is viewed from the perspective of a separate party (aka Fireteam Osiris).
#4-MERIDIAN STATION:^^^
#5-UNCONFIRMED:^^^
#6-EVACUATION:^^^
#7-REUNION: This level is viewed through SPARTAN-II Blue Team’s perspective. EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO THE STORY
#8-SWORDS OF SANGHELIOS: This level acts as part of a side story starring SPARTAN-IV Fireteam Osiris.
#9-ALLIANCE:^^^
#10-ENEMY LINES:^^^
#11-BEFORE THE STORM:^^^
#12-BATTLE OF SUNAION:^^^
#13-GENESIS: This level continues from the side story on Sanghelios and coalesces into the main story.
#14-THE BREAKING: This level continues from the last mission and shifts the story focus back to Blue Team. EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO THE STORY
#15-GUARDIANS: This level wraps up the story for HALO 5: Guardians from the outside perspective of Fireteam Osiris.

Please leave your thoughts and comments below.

[KEEP IT CLEAN! RESPECT PUBLIC PROPERTY!]

Yeah, there’s one thing I find odd about claims that h5 is about locke replacing chief or whatever. All the important stuff in h5 is oddly enough chief focused stuff. The plot doesn’t revolve around locke at all, he’s just an outside viewer to chief’s world.

Which is actually one of the few things promotion interviews was true on, oddly enough.

I mean sure, the defeat of jul’s faction is important, but its not really the story of where the story is going. It’s just arbiter fanservice and cleaning h4 plotthreads up for the main plot…which is chief and cortana.

The story is about as as structured as my family,
Not at all!
:smiley:

D:

> 2533274964189700;2:
> Yeah, there’s one thing I find odd about claims that h5 is about locke replacing chief or whatever. All the important stuff in h5 is oddly enough chief focused stuff. The plot doesn’t revolve around locke at all, he’s just an outside viewer to chief’s world.
>
> Which is actually one of the few things promotion interviews was true on, oddly enough.
>
> I mean sure, the defeat of jul’s faction is important, but its not really the story of where the story is going. It’s just arbiter fanservice and cleaning h4 plotthreads up for the main plot…which is chief and cortana.

Which is funny because before Halo 5 there was talk by 343 about making Halo more than just Chief and Cortana. Kinda hard to do when they remain your focus.

Good job I must say.
If only the plots were threaded together coherently in a much better fashion and the screenwriting wasn’t supposedly changed drastically because of MS.