Nanobots and Chief's armor designs

So after watching the FUD trailer over three dozen times, I started thinking about something…According to Fall of Reach, the Mark IV was essentially the same as V in design, minus shielding. And overall, the Mark IV/V has been shown in different artstyles as seen in the Package/FUD, Halo Wars, and FoR (original and revised covers)

But if that logic stays, for the new artstyle that 343 has taken for the halo series, my guess is that the Mark V and IV will both be based on the Package/FUD design. In other words, if the mark V returns for Halo 4, my guess is that it will be the closest thing we get to the classic halo 2/3 era Mk. VI (since the package/FUD design looks more like the Halo 2/3 era Mk. VI than the CE/CEA/FoR style)

That’s what I believe, but I guess we wont know till we either get the game, or if for promotion purposes, they show the prologue that starts at the beginning of four showcasing the original trilogy, maybe showing Chief go from the Mk. V to VI (as my earlier guess, John switching over the package/FUD design Mk V for the Halo 4 era Mk. VI design)

However, this pure speculation. What does everyone else think.

PS. later today at SDCC, they will talk about campaign, so maybe we’ll get a better glimpse then.

EDIT: This has recently become more of a discussion thread about nanobots and their impact. Please disregard my Mk. V theory

According to the sparkast, it’s just the armor he had at the time.

I have no idea where 343i is utilizing designs from Halo Legends, especially since HL was filled to the brim in artistic license.

It’s hard to enjoy something when in the back of your mind, you keep hearing “That’s not how Mark IV looked. CQB wasn’t around at that time. Halsey looks like she’s twenty. 303 is too high of a service ID for a Spartan-II.”

Off topic: I can’t help but feel that Ralph’s tag was meant to be 033, but somebody made a typo, and Bungie just tried to play it off as intentional.

The original cover for “Fall of Reach” feature the mk. V suit. It was only the revised cover the feature the canon mk. IV. While it’s unknown why 343 decided to use “The Package”'s version of mk. IV Mjolnir, it’s not to far out of line with what the canon version looks like. There’s even a helmet for the mk. IV suit that resembles the default Mk. VI helmet (it’s featured in the Fall of Reach comics).

Now, the Mk. VI seen in Halo 4 isn’t a retcon of the Mjolnir armor, it’s heavily modified and upgrade through the use of nano-technology.

> According to the sparkast, it’s just the armor he had at the time.
>
> I have no idea where 343i is utilizing designs from Halo Legends, especially since HL took a LOT of liberties.

It could be for miscellaneous reasons (which since they are taking over the halo franchise, i doubt they’re gonna trash every aspect of certain liberties like that.) But for the armor he had at the time, it still looks more like the Mk. VI than the mk. IV which led to my theory.

If Mark V is in the game it’ll probably look like the Anniversary version.

> > According to the sparkast, it’s just the armor he had at the time.
> >
> > I have no idea where 343i is utilizing designs from Halo Legends, especially since HL took a LOT of liberties.
>
> It could be for miscellaneous reasons (which since they are taking over the halo franchise, i doubt they’re gonna trash every aspect of certain liberties like that.) But for the armor he had at the time, it still looks more like the Mk. VI than the mk. IV which led to my theory.

The Package’s Mark IV is just the Mark VI with a slightly odd-shaped helmet, “117” is printed in large font on his chest (which also greatly resembles Mark VI), and the shoulders are different.

> The original cover for “Fall of Reach” feature the mk. V suit. It was only the revised cover the feature the canon mk. IV. While it’s unknown why 343 decided to use “The Package”'s version of mk. IV Mjolnir, it’s not to far out of line with what the canon version looks like. There’s even a helmet for the mk. IV suit that resembles the default Mk. VI helmet (it’s featured in the Fall of Reach comics).
>
> Now, the Mk. VI seen in Halo 4 isn’t a retcon of the Mjolnir armor, it’s heavily modified and upgrade through the use of nano-technology.

Good point, i do recall that helmet in the comic. But as for the mk. VI in 4, there still hasnt been confirmation(?) that it has had any modifications. If it has been modified by nanotech, wouldnt that fix the dents on the right breastplate? I recall that scratch being there even when Cortana unfroze him.

> > The original cover for “Fall of Reach” feature the mk. V suit. It was only the revised cover the feature the canon mk. IV. While it’s unknown why 343 decided to use “The Package”'s version of mk. IV Mjolnir, it’s not to far out of line with what the canon version looks like. There’s even a helmet for the mk. IV suit that resembles the default Mk. VI helmet (it’s featured in the Fall of Reach comics).
> >
> > Now, the Mk. VI seen in Halo 4 isn’t a retcon of the Mjolnir armor, it’s heavily modified and upgrade through the use of nano-technology.
>
> Good point, i do recall that helmet in the comic. But as for the mk. VI in 4, there still hasnt been confirmation(?) that it has had any modifications. <mark>If it has been modified by nanotech, wouldnt that fix the dents on the right breastplate?</mark> I recall that scratch being there even when Cortana unfroze him.

You would think so, but Frankie did say that Mjolnir mk. VI apparently features nanobots that can upgrade the suit when the user is in Cryo. I’m not going to say I’m happy with that decision, but that seems to be the way things are going.

Spartan 4s can’t wear it,it would be way to heavy wouldn’t it?.

> > > The original cover for “Fall of Reach” feature the mk. V suit. It was only the revised cover the feature the canon mk. IV. While it’s unknown why 343 decided to use “The Package”'s version of mk. IV Mjolnir, it’s not to far out of line with what the canon version looks like. There’s even a helmet for the mk. IV suit that resembles the default Mk. VI helmet (it’s featured in the Fall of Reach comics).
> > >
> > > Now, the Mk. VI seen in Halo 4 isn’t a retcon of the Mjolnir armor, it’s heavily modified and upgrade through the use of nano-technology.
> >
> > Good point, i do recall that helmet in the comic. But as for the mk. VI in 4, there still hasnt been confirmation(?) that it has had any modifications. <mark>If it has been modified by nanotech, wouldnt that fix the dents on the right breastplate?</mark> I recall that scratch being there even when Cortana unfroze him.
>
> You would think so, but Frankie did say that Mjolnir mk. VI apparently features nanobots that can upgrade the suit when the user is in Cryo. I’m not going to say I’m happy with that decision, but that seems to be the way things are going.

Unless I mistook something, i thought all the talk of nanotech was specifically the Mk. VII

> Spartan 4s can’t wear it,it would be way to heavy wouldn’t it?.

They could easily wear it. Hell, an average person can wear Mjolnir. The problem is how the suits operate, not the weight.

> Now, the Mk. VI seen in Halo 4 isn’t a retcon of the Mjolnir armor, it’s heavily modified and upgrade through the use of nano-technology.

Mark VI didn’t have nano-tech, Mark VII did. Also, if nano-tech was the reason why it’s different, then why is there a massive scratch out of the chest piece (which is in the same place as the one in Halo 3)?

> The original cover for “Fall of Reach” feature the mk. V suit. It was only the revised cover the feature the canon mk. IV. While it’s unknown why 343 decided to use “The Package”'s version of mk. IV Mjolnir, it’s not to far out of line with what the canon version looks like. <mark>There’s even a helmet for the mk. IV suit that resembles the default Mk. VI helmet (it’s featured in the Fall of Reach comics).</mark>
>

I’m guessing you mean this?

> Spartan 4s can’t wear it,it would be way to heavy wouldn’t it?.

Hard to say, there’s plenty of armor customizations in 4 that are real armor pieces.

Even if it doesnt come back as the Mk. V, it would be cool to see it as the Mk. IV. because i do like the design.

> > The original cover for “Fall of Reach” feature the mk. V suit. It was only the revised cover the feature the canon mk. IV. While it’s unknown why 343 decided to use “The Package”'s version of mk. IV Mjolnir, it’s not to far out of line with what the canon version looks like. <mark>There’s even a helmet for the mk. IV suit that resembles the default Mk. VI helmet (it’s featured in the Fall of Reach comics).</mark>
> >
> > Now, the Mk. VI seen in Halo 4 isn’t a retcon of the Mjolnir armor, it’s heavily modified and upgrade through the use of nano-technology.
>
> I’m guessing you mean this?

The overall art design of that looks more akin to halo Wars than the package

> > > The original cover for “Fall of Reach” feature the mk. V suit. It was only the revised cover the feature the canon mk. IV. While it’s unknown why 343 decided to use “The Package”'s version of mk. IV Mjolnir, it’s not to far out of line with what the canon version looks like. There’s even a helmet for the mk. IV suit that resembles the default Mk. VI helmet (it’s featured in the Fall of Reach comics).
> > >
> > > Now, the Mk. VI seen in Halo 4 isn’t a retcon of the Mjolnir armor, it’s heavily modified and upgrade through the use of nano-technology.
> >
> > Good point, i do recall that helmet in the comic. But as for the mk. VI in 4, there still hasnt been confirmation(?) that it has had any modifications. <mark>If it has been modified by nanotech, wouldnt that fix the dents on the right breastplate?</mark> I recall that scratch being there even when Cortana unfroze him.
>
> You would think so, but Frankie did say that Mjolnir mk. VI apparently features nanobots that can upgrade the suit when the user is in Cryo. I’m not going to say I’m happy with that decision, but that seems to be the way things are going.

Scumbag Nanobots:

Can redesign the entire armor, can’t fix a simply gash.

> > > The original cover for “Fall of Reach” feature the mk. V suit. It was only the revised cover the feature the canon mk. IV. While it’s unknown why 343 decided to use “The Package”'s version of mk. IV Mjolnir, it’s not to far out of line with what the canon version looks like. <mark>There’s even a helmet for the mk. IV suit that resembles the default Mk. VI helmet (it’s featured in the Fall of Reach comics).</mark>
> > >
> >
> > I’m guessing you mean this?
>
> The overall art design of that looks more akin to halo Wars than the package

I believe Toa is referring to Spartan-058’s helmet.

>
> Mark VI didn’t have nano-tech, Mark VII did. Also, if nano-tech was the reason why it’s different, then why is there a massive scratch out of the chest piece (which is in the same place as the one in Halo 3)?

Like I said to Omeggos, the info is from 343, not me. I’m going to try and find the interview where it’s stated, but Frankie clearly talks about nano-tech in relation to the Chief’s new appearance.

I just think armor styled like Mk.IV is just 343’s artistic preference. Honestly, the armor doesn’t bug me all too much.

> > > > The original cover for “Fall of Reach” feature the mk. V suit. It was only the revised cover the feature the canon mk. IV. While it’s unknown why 343 decided to use “The Package”'s version of mk. IV Mjolnir, it’s not to far out of line with what the canon version looks like. <mark>There’s even a helmet for the mk. IV suit that resembles the default Mk. VI helmet (it’s featured in the Fall of Reach comics).</mark>
> > > >
> > > > Now, the Mk. VI seen in Halo 4 isn’t a retcon of the Mjolnir armor, it’s heavily modified and upgrade through the use of nano-technology.
> > >
> > > I’m guessing you mean this?
> >
> > The overall art design of that looks more akin to halo Wars than the package
>
> I believe Toa is referring to Spartan-058’s helmet.

No, it’s when the Chief is getting his mk. IV. He takes a helmet off a shelf with tons of other helmets and accidentally crushes it. The second helmet he picks up (without crushing it) is the mk. IV default helmet