Name is Blocked: 343 or Microsoft?

I can’t share any files due to this error. Is this an issue 343 can resolve or would I need to contact Microsoft. My gamertag is not the least bit offensive. It’s “Paul Russell”.

Thanks in advance.

ahhhh everyone’s favorite problem with the obscure MS filter that only seems to affect Reach’s file shares and XBL profile info. if you’re curious, it’s apparently “Russell” that is somehow violating some filter that MS has.

i don’t have an answer for you because last i recall, no one seemed to know who’s issue it was. if someone has the answer, i’m sure they’ll be in here to help you out.

> i don’t have an answer for you because last i recall, no one seemed to know who’s issue it was. if someone has the answer, i’m sure they’ll be in here to help you out.

It actually seems to affect all user-created content, and it is a filter managed by (a complete idiot who works for) Microsoft. It’s Microsoft’s issue.

OP, you’re not the only one with this problem. Thanks to that filter, files containing any of a number of innocent words (assault, base, basic, basement, epic, glitch, mystery, poop, puzzle, titan) can’t be uploaded, and people with those or similar words in their gamertags can’t upload anything at all. The filter has been stupidly broken for over a year now, but it hasn’t been fixed because Microsoft only fixes things that might otherwise cost them money.

The only fix is to change your gamertag. You can try calling Microsoft’s tech support, but they won’t help, nor will they want to help.

i thought i remember people saying they could still use their H3 file shares though? and that it was only Reach that was blocked?

(i could totally be making this up to in which case, i’m sorry!)

> i thought i remember people saying they could still use their H3 file shares though? and that it was only Reach that was blocked?
>
> (i could totally be making this up to in which case, i’m sorry!)

You’re completely correct.

I suspect that game developers can mark which parts of a user-created content file count as content (to be checked by the filter), as opposed to metadata or code (to be ignored by the filter); they can also specify which parts of the content are non-essential (“No, no, it’s cool, Microsoft, just replace it with ‘blam’.”) and which parts are essential (“Well, we can’t just replace the guy’s name – ah, hell, just don’t even upload it.”).

So I think that in both games, the author data is marked as essential, but it’s only marked as being part of the content in Reach.

IMO this is Bungie’s fault.

No other game does this, even others published by “Microsoft Studios”, so I don’t think it can be Microsoft’s fault.

I’ve never seen such a ridiculous filter.

Some examples:

Bomb and Assault games are blocked
Anything with “September 11” in the description/title is blocked (including any clips or movies you made in September 2011!)

> IMO this is Bungie’s fault.
>
> No other game does this, even others published by “Microsoft Studios”, so I don’t think it can be Microsoft’s fault.

That would be all well and good, except that Bungie.net doesn’t use the same filter. You can apply file tags via Bungie.net that would be blocked when trying to apply them via the Xbox 360. And while the 360-based filter rejects tags outright, BNet’s filter just "blam"s them.

If Bungie were responsible for the filter, it should work the same on their site as it does on the console.

Can someone tell me if the word “Boom” is disallowed? I’m having a few problems with it.

> Can someone tell me if the word “Boom” is disallowed? I’m having a few problems with it.

easiest way to tell is to go try to put the word into your profile via xbox.com. if it’s not allowed, it’ll tell you in angry red letters.

BUT i believe “boom” is allowed because i have it in both the title and description of a video in my file share.

> > Can someone tell me if the word “Boom” is disallowed? I’m having a few problems with it.
>
> easiest way to tell is to go try to put the word into your profile via xbox.com. if it’s not allowed, it’ll tell you in angry red letters.
>
> BUT i believe “boom” is allowed because i have it in both the title and description of a video in my file share.

OK, I give it a try then, thanks for the answer.

no problem. not sure what other words you’re trying to use but it’s likely them because Boom! is allowed

Hmm…it could be, I suppose.