Mythic Reprisal

Okay I just reinstalled Halo 5 today to do a Forge retrospective after some old maps of mine appeared in the MCC file share. I figure while I’m in I take a gander at any recent news that went down since I was away and wouldn’t you know; Mythic Arena thing.

The details confused me at first because several ‘classic’ playlists have appeared in H5 before, with much more toggling under the hood than Mythic appears to offer. Still, the maps were extremely intriguing with the classic Halo vibe they went with. Wouldn’t hurt to try a few games.

Mythic Arena’s settings are deceptively game changing.

Or rather, ‘game reverting’. It’s been a while, since the Halo 3 feature playlist, that Halo 5 started feeling like Halo. But the issue with attempts like this was Halo 5 simply isn’t meant to flow like oldschool Halo. So no matter how many knobs they turned those past playlists had an uncanny mechanical dissonance to them. Mythic found a way, through marrying map design with shockingly little but impactful adjustments, to get Halo 5 playing like old Halo - but remaining Halo 5… if that makes sense.

In some ways this probably should have been Halo 5, but I have a funny feeling this gameplay is an approximation of something to come. And if that’s the case, best get some thoughts off my chest.

• I assume radar is gone because many still believe that’s ‘extra competitive’ or whatever. Outside of making a “social” Mythic variant with a 25m radar, consider putting it in. - I know Mythic intensely requires very specific map philosophy to work, so just asking for the settings to be standard in H5 won’t do. But I’d love a BTB variant. I’m talking vehicle loop, rolling hills BTB not that squad thing. - Stabilizers and Thruster remaining is very curious. Considering what I think this is testing, perhaps those two are back in Hi. - Magnum for starts, BR should be tier 2 pick ups.

Nice share. I haven’t tried it yet, but looking forward to it.

> 2535447371726695;2:
> Nice share. I haven’t tried it yet, but looking forward to it.

It’s legit refreshing and I’m gonna try and convince my buds to come back.

I’ve heard about Mythic Slayer but I stopped playing H5 after December 3rd. Is it worth leaving Reach to try out or would I be wasting time?

> 2533275001522797;4:
> I’ve heard about Mythic Slayer but I stopped playing H5 after December 3rd. Is it worth leaving Reach to try out or would I be wasting time?

So I’m not overselling this playlist, I can assure you Reach remains better than what is essentially a mechanical chimera (if you’re really yearning for that oldschool touch). But as somebody fairly critical of H5 I’d say Mythic settings and maps is the best playing H5 experience right this moment.

I dunno if a mere playlist supercedes Reach or H2a playtime, but it’s worth a few matches for sure.