Mysterious Ship that landed on Installation04

Incase you have no idea what im talking about, Im talking about the 5th Terminal on CEA.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zj68_95Jnk

I just now finished Silentium (school work and other things slowed me down) and wanted to rewatch all halo CEA and halo 4 terminals and try to piece some more things together. With the conclusion of Greg Bears Forerunner saga, and Halo 4s campaign and spartan ops, I have a general idea of whats in store for the rest of the halo universe. (Still havent read any of Kilo 5! Dont spoil) But this Terminal throws a huge curve ball at me. Yeah I know that installation 04/04B is old news, but what does this crashed ship signify? Why would 343 go through the trouble of making 2 Terminals for it? Just to go into detail about guilty sparks loneliness and disappointment? I doubt it.

I know this has been discussed before, but i havent seen any Post-Silentium posts about it.

The Precursors didnt all die, “some went into hiding” I have serious doubts this was a Precursor ship but im drawing blanks here. Someone help me out.

Well part of the second terminal’s significance is that 343 was going to interfere with the next group of people who come to the ring, so it was partly to bridge that gap or so. As who’s ship is it? Maybe some race was flying around one day and when the halos fired killed them leaving it floating in space until it hit the ring?

The only race it could have been was Forerunner, and you think he would have recognized a Forerunner ship. And keep in mind this ship lands 60,000 years after the halo array is fired. Such an odd time

It’s obviously not Forerunner.

Goobot brings up a good point. It was probably a ship that got hit by Halo’s Pulse. it would explain the lack of occupants trying to escape, and the fact it was a worse crash landing than the Pillar of Autumn.

It’s not Precursor either, because if it was, that ship would be filled to the brim with Flood Powder or Spores.

60K Years isn’t to odd for a Space-faring race to arise. Look at our history in the Halo Universe. Scientists today see we were paleolithic humans for more than 100,000 Years ago, yet that time span was interrupted by the Halo Array. This implies that the reseeded species didn’t have to start from square one on the total knowledge achieved. So if a race that was reseeded was well into it’s agricultural revolution, it’d be no surprise that by 40,000 BCE there’d be a Interstellar Race.

This sounds reasonable…
But there was still atmosphere or oxygen or whatever escaping from the ship. You really think it was a derelict ship from when the halo array went off?
If it was a different civilization from after the array how come nonbody got out? If it was during the array how come guilty spark didnt recognize it?

Why 343? Why do this to me?!

> Why would 343 go through the trouble of making 2 Terminals for it? Just to go into detail about guilty sparks loneliness and disappointment? I doubt it.

Sadly, I think that’s all it amounts to. It was to highlight Spark’s strict adherence to protocol, and his grievances of doing such.

> I have now endured 60,000 years without word from outside the Array. I have no way to know whether we actually saved the galaxy we destroyed. And because of protocol I sat silently while my first chance to be judged for those acts died. To say that I regret being forced to this outcome is a tremendous understatement.

I’d certainly love to be proven wrong, though.

Could’ve been Precursor, I have a suspicion similar events unfolded on Installation 05. Besides, according to Conversations from the Universe others have landed on the ring and left.

I doubt it had been hit by the Halo’s pulse. If the occupants had been killed by the Halo rings, what are the odds that it’d crash onto Installation 04 thousands of years later? Extremely slim, unless it had already been on a set course, but then why would it take thousands of years?

My money is now on ancient Humans.

> I doubt it had been hit by the Halo’s pulse. If the occupants had been killed by the Halo rings, what are the odds that it’d crash onto Installation 04 thousands of years later? Extremely slim, unless it had already been on a set course, but then why would it take thousands of years?

Dozens of possible ships flying around for 60k years and 1 ship hitting it isn’t that unlikely.

> > I doubt it had been hit by the Halo’s pulse. If the occupants had been killed by the Halo rings, what are the odds that it’d crash onto Installation 04 thousands of years later? Extremely slim, unless it had already been on a set course, but then why would it take thousands of years?
>
> Dozens of possible ships flying around for 60k years and 1 ship hitting it isn’t that unlikely.

Considering how vast space is, it is extremely unlikely.

> This sounds reasonable…
> But there was still atmosphere or oxygen or whatever escaping from the ship.

The Halo Array doesn’t destroy physical matter, it only destroys anything run by Neural Physics.

> You really think it was a derelict ship from when the halo array went off?

The chances are incredibly slim. Probably not, but we can’t rule it out as a possibility.

> If it was a different civilization from after the array how come nonbody got out?

Chances are the occupants died in the crash. If you remember the Terminal, that ship was flying incredibly fast when it collided with Halo.

> If it was during the array how come guilty spark didnt recognize it?

I don’t fully understand this question, but there’s no way it’s Forerunner. Or any civilization that has interacted extensively with Forerunners. 343 Guilty Spark uses that same scan the Didact uses in Halo 4 to scan it. He would determine if it was anything recognizable alone by doing this. Secondly, when translating the distress signal, he can barely comprehend it meaning Forerunners have never interacted with this species before.

> Why 343? Why do this to me?!

I enjoy this actually. To some, having the Forerunners revealed has spoiled the sense of Mystery in the Halo Universe, but every now and then, 343i will drop a little treasure of mystery.

The halo array destroys anything that can be infected by the flood,those infected, and precursor structures.

I am conflicted as to what i should say the ship is. Either way i am saying forerunner.

Frankie said we will know about the ship in halo 4 which i can only attribute to the knights. If not that then from silientium we know the forerunners relocated so it could be the most recent iteration of them.

There are only 7 Halo rings distributed throughout the galaxy. They are thin, planet sized constructs. Their width is only 200 miles. For a ship to not only land on the surface but to even land on a Halo ring in a giant galaxy, whoever the occupants were, they had Installation 04 as a destination. You don’t just run into one of those through random trajectory…

In fact, even if it were passing through the Soell system at random, to land in a thin strip of land on a construct orbiting a gas giant with WAY more of a gravitational tug on the spacecraft, Halo WAS the destination…it could not be otherwise.

> …I am conflicted as to what i should say the ship is. Either way i am saying forerunner…

How could it be Forerunner if Spark couldn’t interpret the distress code coming from the ship?

Also, I remember reading on another thread related to this topic that there were 7 survivors on the ship after it crashed but they never made any attempts to exit, and ultimately died within.

My best guess would be that the ship belonged to a civilization that somehow found out about the Forerunners plans to use the rings. They managed to discover the location of the rings and set a course to intercept and destroy them before they could be activated. Unfortunately they didn’t get to the rings before they were fired, and in the process their ship was damaged and majority of the crew was killed or injured leaving them to drift helplessly toward their original destination.

Maybe the entire crew wasn’t killed because they managed to develop technology similar to that used on the Forerunner shield worlds?
Maybe it took them 60k years to ultimately crash land on the ring because they were very far away, and the firing of the rings drastically altered the speed at which they were travelling?
Just spitballing

The librarian couldn’t understand the forerunners she met at Path Kethona. If you were to warp back 500 years into the past you wouldn’t be able to understand what the natives were saying in america either.

A decent amount of time has passed and we have no idea how the forerunners changed in that amount of time. We do now they had several dialects inherently that the castes wouldn’t be able to understand unless it was theirs. So if Bornstellar and his little group run off for 60,000 years they would have changed quite a bit.

I wouldn’t henge on a disillusional mind wiped AI as the repository for all forerunner knowledge since we know he isn’t.

I totally thought it was Precursors, but after Silentium I’m not sure.

> I totally thought it was Precursors, but after Silentium I’m not sure.

Im not so sure either now the distress call symbols were on the artifact retrieved in spartan ops and all over requiem. I don’t see how this isn’t forerunner.

Hmmm… You dont think its the forerunners from Path Kerona do you? Technically they are still allive correct? Maybe after the Librarians visit they decided to become space faring again and would rise as a civilization.

I just dont know why theyd and how theyd land installation 04.

Wouldn’t they have died from Omega Halo firing?