Mysterious Concept Art - Ancient Discovery

J Bach, the concept artist for the Halo 4 live action trailer “The Commissioning”, released an interesting piece of concept art that strangely appears to be unrelated to the trailer. " This last image was for a concept in which an ancient technology sitting undisturbed for eons is finally discovered by a young native boy."

The structures appear to be Forerunner, but who is the boy? One possibility is that this is Chakas in his youth, bravely exploring ancient structures on Erde-Tyrene. Another possibility is that this is depicting Bornstellar’s quest for mystery and treasure in his youth. But what if this concept art was meant to depict a more recent event? Could this be a discovery John made on Eridanus II, and do we have any evidence that there were any Forerunner structures there?

Seeing as this concept art - and the scene associated with it - never came to light in the live-action trailer, do you think this boy and this discovery will be further explored in Halo 4? 343 Industries has said time and time again that Halo 4 will delve further into John’s past and character than ever before. Several of us have been questioning why it appears John carries a gea, and more specifically, how it was given to him. If this is John, this ancient technology discovery may be the origin of his connection with the Forerunners.

Im thinking its either Chief or Bornsteller.

This was posted here before.
Humans in general have Geas.
What I lIke about this image is how these artifacts can hold a lot of power. One of those could do so much…

> J Bach, the concept artist for the Halo 4 live action trailer “The Commissioning”, released an interesting piece of concept art that strangely appears to be unrelated to the trailer. " This last image was for a concept in which an ancient technology sitting undisturbed for eons is finally discovered by a young native boy."
>
> The structures clearly appear to be Forerunner, but who is the boy? One possibility is that this is Chakas in his youth, bravely exploring ancient structures on Erde-Tyrene. But what if this concept art was meant to depict a more recent event? Could this be a discovery John made on Eridanus II, and do we have any evidence that there were any Forerunner structures there?
>
> Seeing as this concept art - and the scene associated with it - never came to light in the live-action trailer, do you think this boy and this discovery will be further explored in Halo 4? 343 Industries has said time and time again that Halo 4 will delve further into John’s past and character than ever before. Several of us have been questioning why it appears John carries a Gea, and more specifically, how it was given to him. If this is John, this ancient technology discovery may be the origin of his connection with the Forerunners.

That is a very interesting theory and could solve the thing about why John (Master Chief) has so much luck!

> This was posted here before.
> Humans in general have Geas.
> What I lIke about this image is how these artifacts can hold a lot of power. One of those could do so much…

Apologies if this is a repeat thread. I have not seen anything discussing this concept art in the two months that I have been here - no harm in discussing it again. There is sparse evidence that humanity has a Geas on a species wide level, although 343 Guilty Spark does appear to acknowledge other humans on the PoA have a Gea as well. There is evidence that John in particular may be carrying the imprint of the Didact.

> 343 Guilty Spark: “More or less. Technically, this installation’s pulse has a maximum effective radius of twenty-five thousand light years. But once the others follow suit, this galaxy will be quite devoid of life, or at least any life with sufficient biomass to sustain the Flood. But you already knew that… I mean, how couldn’t you?”
>
> 343 Guilty Spark: “We have followed outbreak containment procedure to the letter. You were with me each step of the way as we managed this crisis.”
>
> 343 Guilty Spark: “Why would you hesitate to do what you have already done?”
>
> 343 Guilty Spark: “Last time you asked me if it were my choice, would I do it? Having had considerable time to ponder your query, my answer has not changed.”

343 Guilty Spark clearly seems to think John has been on the installation before, and has activated it before. This seemed absurd at the time, but with later revelations about the Didact and his actions, it would seem John is carrying the imprint of the Promethean. It is very interesting how 343 Guilty Spark is speaking directly to the Didact in the quotes above, but he never acknowledges he is talking to someone other than John. An untold story, for certain.

I think silentium will tell, but don’t other humans contain other people inside as well?
I’m not to yay about the idea that John has the Didact.

> > This was posted here before.
> > Humans in general have Geas.
> > What I lIke about this image is how these artifacts can hold a lot of power. One of those could do so much…
>
> Apologies if this is a repeat thread. I have not seen anything discussing this concept art in the two months that I have been here - no harm in discussing it again. There is sparse evidence that humanity has a Geas on a species wide level, although 343 Guilty Spark does appear to acknowledge other humans on the PoA have a Gea as well. There is evidence that John in particular may be carrying the imprint of the Didact.
>
>
>
> > 343 Guilty Spark: “More or less. Technically, this installation’s pulse has a maximum effective radius of twenty-five thousand light years. But once the others follow suit, this galaxy will be quite devoid of life, or at least any life with sufficient biomass to sustain the Flood. But you already knew that… I mean, how couldn’t you?”
> >
> > 343 Guilty Spark: “We have followed outbreak containment procedure to the letter. You were with me each step of the way as we managed this crisis.”
> >
> > 343 Guilty Spark: “Why would you hesitate to do what you have already done?”
> >
> > 343 Guilty Spark: “Last time you asked me if it were my choice, would I do it? Having had considerable time to ponder your query, my answer has not changed.”
>
>
>
> 343 Guilty Spark clearly seems to think John has been on the installation before, and has activated it before. This seemed absurd at the time, but with later revelations about the Didact and his actions, it would seem John is carrying the imprint of the Promethean. It is very interesting how 343 Guilty Spark is speaking directly to the Didact in the quotes above, but he never acknowledges he is talking to someone other than John. An untold story, for certain.

Never thought of it that way…
This would solve why he indeed has so much “luck”…

Hmmm…

Interesting.

> J Bach, the concept artist for the Halo 4 live action trailer “The Commissioning”, released an interesting piece of concept art that strangely appears to be unrelated to the trailer. " This last image was for a concept in which an ancient technology sitting undisturbed for eons is finally discovered by a young native boy."
>
> The structures clearly appear to be Forerunner, but who is the boy? One possibility is that this is Chakas in his youth, bravely exploring ancient structures on Erde-Tyrene. But what if this concept art was meant to depict a more recent event? Could this be a discovery John made on Eridanus II, and do we have any evidence that there were any Forerunner structures there?
>
> Seeing as this concept art - and the scene associated with it - never came to light in the live-action trailer, do you think this boy and this discovery will be further explored in Halo 4? 343 Industries has said time and time again that Halo 4 will delve further into John’s past and character than ever before. Several of us have been questioning why it appears John carries a Gea, and more specifically, how it was given to him. If this is John, this ancient technology discovery may be the origin of his connection with the Forerunners.

whats a gea?

I Highly doubt they would mess with johns past in that since because i personally feel that is too far. I will also be the bad guy and state those don’t look too forerunner.

yea honestly, from what i know of forerunner technology, that doesn’t look too forerunner. Not saying that it is human, but that it looks more like human architecture.

Maybe the concept artist did not know that forerunner technology usually follows a strict design philosophy (except for the ruins on delta halo, never liked halo 2’s handling of the ring). I have never seen their technology like this, and they do not rust from what i know, they are usally light silver or white with blue, (and now in halo 4 )red or orange lighting.

Could be precursor?

> I Highly doubt they would mess with johns past in that since because i personally feel that is too far. I will also be the bad guy and state those don’t look too forerunner.

Our knowledge on John’s past before he was kidnapped is limited. That’s why I asked if there was any evidence of Forerunner structures or ancient tech on Eridanus II.

You really don’t think these structures look Forerunner? You don’t think they look similar to this, this, or this?. I do agree that these mysterious structures do have a darker, greyish black tint to them that is unlike the usual Forerunner silver.

@ EYE3X, a Gea is a generations-long genetic command given to an organism or a species at birth. Think of it as a subconscious set of orders that an individual must carry out in order to fulfill a greater purpose. Within a gea, a genetic imprint containing the memories of an ancestor or a Forerunner can be placed. For example, Chakas’ geas included songs which served as codes to open the Didact’s Cryptum. Chakas also has the memories of an ancient human named Forthencho within him. These memories can contain secrets that only the respective species held, such as humanities’ “cure” to the Flood.

It seems there were two types of geas. One was a broad, species wide geas which moves a species along a predetermined plan. There was also an individual gea, giving an individual a very special set of orders that he must complete. It would seem the Master Chief received a geas specifically for him, which also contained the memories of the Didact. John is described to have extraordinary luck, but in reality this is his subconscious set of orders insuring that he continues to live in order to complete his greater purpose.

Yeah, the original thread was by me, no worries!

I got a vibe that reminded me of Bornstellar’s story, but I am wondering how it’ll fit in, or how it would’ve fit in.

> I got a vibe that reminded me of Bornstellar’s story, but I am wondering how it’ll fit in, or how it would’ve fit in.

This is another vibe that really peaked my interest in this concept art. If the boy is someone other than John (Born, Chakas, or someone yet to be introduced), how in the world would this have fit into the live-action trailer? The trailer was originally supposed to have a scene with the Master Chief in it that got cut, and this concept apart seems to be entirely stand alone. What was their plan with this concept art?

It’s interesting.

Not sure what to say because I’m not sure what to make of it.

> > I Highly doubt they would mess with johns past in that since because i personally feel that is too far. I will also be the bad guy and state those don’t look too forerunner.
>
> Our knowledge on John’s past before he was kidnapped is limited. That’s why I asked if there was any evidence of Forerunner structures or ancient tech on Eridanus II.
>
> You really don’t think these structures look Forerunner? You don’t think they look similar to this, this, or this?. I do agree that these mysterious structures do have a darker, greyish black tint to them that is unlike the usual Forerunner silver.
>
> @ EYE3X, a Gea is a generations-long genetic command given to an organism or a species at birth. Think of it as a subconscious set of orders that an individual must carry out in order to fulfill a greater purpose. Within a gea, a genetic imprint containing the memories of an ancestor or a Forerunner can be placed. For example, Chakas’ geas included songs which served as codes to open the Didact’s Cryptum. Chakas also has the memories of an ancient human named Forthencho within him. These memories can contain secrets that only the respective species held, such as humanities’ “cure” to the Flood.
>
> It seems there were two types of geas. One was a broad, species wide geas which moves a species along a predetermined plan. There was also an individual gea, giving an individual a very special set of orders that he must complete. It would seem the Master Chief received a geas specifically for him, which also contained the memories of the Didact. John is described to have extraordinary luck, but in reality this is his subconscious set of orders insuring that he continues to live in order to complete his greater purpose.

Only problem with that theory is that MC was kidnapped at 6 and in that picture, the person is much older than 6 so it cant be MC before entering the spartan program.

But i’ve always thought, that based on Halseys evaluation that MC had an exception genome even when compared to other Spartans and couple this with his ability to decern how to use forerunner tech without having seen it before, it is highly likely that MC has been aided in one way or another. I dont believe that it is a full geas as shown in the books but who knows.

How would a Geas give John more luck?
A geas to stay alive, how would that affect the outside world?

Maybe we’ve got primitive humans living on Requiem? It’s a totally out there idea, but who knows.

> Only problem with that theory is that MC was kidnapped at 6 and in that picture, the person is much older than 6 so it cant be MC before entering the spartan program.
>
> But i’ve always thought, that based on Halseys evaluation that MC had an exception genome even when compared to other Spartans and couple this with his ability to decern how to use forerunner tech without having seen it before, it is highly likely that MC has been aided in one way or another. I dont believe that it is a full geas as shown in the books but who knows.

There is no way to conclude that the boy in that picture is older than six. Remember that Halsey’s evaluation also noted that John was a head level taller than his peers. He was exceptionally tall for a six year old.

To be clear though, I am not entirely supporting the theory that the boy is John. Just suggesting it as an option, and trying to make sense of how John got his geas. This is more likely an origins concept art for Bornstellar, showing his desire to find treasure and mystery at a young age.

> Maybe we’ve got primitive humans living on Requiem? It’s a totally out there idea, but who knows.

A totally out there idea - but also a total possibility. We have no idea which species the Librarian decided to preserve on Requiem. Unlike the Halos, Requiem has an inner planet. Totally possible.