My thoughts on the current community

Some people are hyped for Halo 5… And others not so much. I recently having gotten into doing YouTube content and would like some feedback on a discussion series I’ve started talking about topics such as this. Feedback would be appreciated.

Good video, sums everything up well! Subscribed to you.

Good video. Your voice is pleasant to listen too.

I feel like the Halo 5 community is shaping up to be something decent… but that Halo MCC community. Ew

I disagree with almost everything you said. But you were (mostly) respectful in how you spoke. Which is nice.

> 2533274809699299;5:
> I disagree with almost everything you said. But you were (mostly) respectful in how you spoke. Which is nice.

Fair enough. Although I’d be interested to hear about what specifically you disagree with and why, that is, if its not too much to type out.

> 2533274912254619;6:
> > 2533274809699299;5:
> > I disagree with almost everything you said. But you were (mostly) respectful in how you spoke. Which is nice.
>
>
> Fair enough. Although I’d be interested to hear about what specifically you disagree with and why, that is, if its not too much to type out.

Oh gosh, I’ll try to phrase this without rehashing old arguments.

I do believe that regardless of how sprint is implemented, it’s still a crutch to the game. There has never been a successful arena shooter with sprint (read: successful) for many reasons. I could explain the ins and outs of theoretical anecdotes or point out examples in how it cripples map design, but I won’t. It breaks map design in so many ways that’s difficult to explain to someone (read: all of waypoint) who doesn’t understand how exactly maps work. Stretching out maps to utilize the new movement speed isn’t a solution because you’re not ALWAYS moving at sprint speed. Keeping them small breeds passive gameplay where it’s easy to cheat death. These are just two examples of countless. I appreciate the ‘nerfs’ to sprint, but they seem like bandaid fixes to a gaping hole in someone’s torso. So much effort to keep in a feature that adds what exactly the game? It’s not worth it for me to further delve into sprint but you understand where I’m coming from.

Smart Scope is ADS, I don’t care what 343 says. It’s slower than classic zoom, which makes descoping battles a thing of the past. Josh Holmes blatantly lied when he said no bonuses to zoom, because as we saw in the beta literally every single weapon was more accurate when zoomed, everything from the DMR to BR to Pistol. The updates post beta read ‘reduced bonuses to auotmatics’ and not REMOVED. Meaning they’re still there, and only reduced for automatics.

I consider clamber a caricature of classic Halo and a needless feature that forces players to lower their weapon for another needless animation and throws all jumping skill out the window.

In whole, it’s a much better game than 4. But I don’t think it was possible to be worse than 4. I appreciate 343’s openness to an extent but honestly, I believe they truly lack the insight of what makes Halo, well Halo. Evident through their focus in gameplay mechanics, art style, sound design, so forth. Every time a new Halo game has come out since Reach, there’s always the commmunity half that screams :You just want classic Halo! And proceed to make videos like this (not saying this video is bad, you’re well spoken). I’ve been around for the launch of every Halo and arena shooters before CE (yes I’m that old), myself and most of the Team Beyond community have been. We have a grasp of what works for a game and what doesn’t. And I firmly believe with all of my heart that H5 is not going to be the saving grace of Halo, in fact i’m betting the population won’t retain itself past 5 months. Is it good? Yes! It will most definitetly be a solid shooter with great controls, great shooting, and a larger skill gap than any other shooter on Xbox One atm (bar Doom 4 when it releases) but I don’t consider it a good Halo game. In fact, I don’t really consider anything past ODST a Halo game at all. I hope I don’t sound pretentious, at this point the competitive community has been screaming no sprint (among other things) for LITERALLY the past 5 years so you can understand why the resistance to sprint seems to be dwindling in that aspect. I think a lot of folks just don’t have the heart to fight the battle anymore, I know this is the longest post I’ve made in MONTHS, and I used to compete, forge, gamebattle, all that jazz up until 2010 when Reach launched. If you truly want to have more of an insight as to what I mean, feel free to add me on Xbox, My GT matches my tag here, we can talk. Just throw me a message.

You should narrate March of the Penguins.

I really liked your video, looking forward to the next one.

I lolled here XD

Yeah I agree with you, the game is gonna be awesome, there are a few cons that can be still considered minor issues compared to what Halo 5 promises to deliver us :slight_smile:
I am actually complaining a lot here on the forums because of some of these minor issues, but don’t get me wrong, I love their work on Halo 5, I think that if they could (probably not) fix those things the game would be 100% awesome, and as it is right now I think it’s gonna be like 85/90% awesome, I mean, Halo 5 will most likely have the best Campaign on the series, and the multiplayer is so awesome, I miss the beta so much, it feels like a faster Halo 3 to me (or a Halo 3 on stereoids XD) but I still want to try here on the forums to make here my voice, because I would prefer the game to be 100% awesome! It is not a fact of “I hate this, I hate that” for me, it is like, “hey, this is awesome, but I think it could be better in this way” :slight_smile:

Just to clarify, I’ll write down what I would want them to do:

-Making the Arbiter and the Swords of Sanghelios with the right mandibles style from Halo CE/2/3/Reach/CEA/2A (there are tiny differences between these styles, but an enormous one with the Halo 4 Elites mandibles that I think should only be applied on the Storm Covenant)
-Adding Firefight as a post-launch DLC
-Giving us full customization
-Giving us the option to choose between Ground Pound on Melee or on Crouch (I would prefer it on Crouch as it was in the beta because I play with Recon controls scheme)

Now, I don’t want this to become an argument about these topics, I just wanted to explain my self, because I think there could be somebody else who is complaining in the same way I am doing it :slight_smile:

Pretty good video, nice job.

Very, very well done. I agree with all your points. Please do more, it’s a good looking series. Also your not obnoxious sounding, which is a plus.

Good stuff! Very nice video

> 2533274809699299;7:
> > 2533274912254619;6:
> > > 2533274809699299;5:
> > > I disagree with almost everything you said. But you were (mostly) respectful in how you spoke. Which is nice.
> >
> >
> > Fair enough. Although I’d be interested to hear about what specifically you disagree with and why, that is, if its not too much to type out.
>
>
> Oh gosh, I’ll try to phrase this without rehashing old arguments.
>
> I do believe that regardless of how sprint is implemented, it’s still a crutch to the game. There has never been a successful arena shooter with sprint (read: successful) for many reasons. I could explain the ins and outs of theoretical anecdotes or point out examples in how it cripples map design, but I won’t. It breaks map design in so many ways that’s difficult to explain to someone (read: all of waypoint) who doesn’t understand how exactly maps work. Stretching out maps to utilize the new movement speed isn’t a solution because you’re not ALWAYS moving at sprint speed. Keeping them small breeds passive gameplay where it’s easy to cheat death. These are just two examples of countless. I appreciate the ‘nerfs’ to sprint, but they seem like bandaid fixes to a gaping hole in someone’s torso. So much effort to keep in a feature that adds what exactly the game? It’s not worth it for me to further delve into sprint but you understand where I’m coming from.
>
> Smart Scope is ADS, I don’t care what 343 says. It’s slower than classic zoom, which makes descoping battles a thing of the past. Josh Holmes blatantly lied when he said no bonuses to zoom, because as we saw in the beta literally every single weapon was more accurate when zoomed, everything from the DMR to BR to Pistol. The updates post beta read ‘reduced bonuses to auotmatics’ and not REMOVED. Meaning they’re still there, and only reduced for automatics.
>
> I consider clamber a caricature of classic Halo and a needless feature that forces players to lower their weapon for another needless animation and throws all jumping skill out the window.
>
> In whole, it’s a much better game than 4. But I don’t think it was possible to be worse than 4. I appreciate 343’s openness to an extent but honestly, I believe they truly lack the insight of what makes Halo, well Halo. Evident through their focus in gameplay mechanics, art style, sound design, so forth. Every time a new Halo game has come out since Reach, there’s always the commmunity half that screams :You just want classic Halo! And proceed to make videos like this (not saying this video is bad, you’re well spoken). I’ve been around for the launch of every Halo and arena shooters before CE (yes I’m that old), myself and most of the Team Beyond community have been. We have a grasp of what works for a game and what doesn’t. And I firmly believe with all of my heart that H5 is not going to be the saving grace of Halo, in fact i’m betting the population won’t retain itself past 5 months. Is it good? Yes! It will most definitetly be a solid shooter with great controls, great shooting, and a larger skill gap than any other shooter on Xbox One atm (bar Doom 4 when it releases) but I don’t consider it a good Halo game. In fact, I don’t really consider anything past ODST a Halo game at all. I hope I don’t sound pretentious, at this point the competitive community has been screaming no sprint (among other things) for LITERALLY the past 5 years so you can understand why the resistance to sprint seems to be dwindling in that aspect. I think a lot of folks just don’t have the heart to fight the battle anymore, I know this is the longest post I’ve made in MONTHS, and I used to compete, forge, gamebattle, all that jazz up until 2010 when Reach launched. If you truly want to have more of an insight as to what I mean, feel free to add me on Xbox, My GT matches my tag here, we can talk. Just throw me a message.

343i should listen to you. And Putin should give you a big slice of Ukraine.

I’m not sure what that’s supposed to mean but okay

> 2533274809699299;7:
> I do believe that regardless of how sprint is implemented, it’s still a crutch to the game. There has never been a successful arena shooter with sprint (read: successful) for many reasons. I could explain the ins and outs of theoretical anecdotes or point out examples in how it cripples map design, but I won’t. It breaks map design in so many ways that’s difficult to explain to someone (read: all of waypoint) who doesn’t understand how exactly maps work. Stretching out maps to utilize the new movement speed isn’t a solution because you’re not ALWAYS moving at sprint speed. Keeping them small breeds passive gameplay where it’s easy to cheat death. These are just two examples of countless. I appreciate the ‘nerfs’ to sprint, but they seem like bandaid fixes to a gaping hole in someone’s torso. So much effort to keep in a feature that adds what exactly the game? It’s not worth it for me to further delve into sprint but you understand where I’m coming from.
>
> Smart Scope is ADS, I don’t care what 343 says. It’s slower than classic zoom, which makes descoping battles a thing of the past. Josh Holmes blatantly lied when he said no bonuses to zoom, because as we saw in the beta literally every single weapon was more accurate when zoomed, everything from the DMR to BR to Pistol. The updates post beta read ‘reduced bonuses to auotmatics’ and not REMOVED. Meaning they’re still there, and only reduced for automatics.
>
> I consider clamber a caricature of classic Halo and a needless feature that forces players to lower their weapon for another needless animation and throws all jumping skill out the window.
>
> In whole, it’s a much better game than 4. But I don’t think it was possible to be worse than 4. I appreciate 343’s openness to an extent but honestly, I believe they truly lack the insight of what makes Halo, well Halo. Evident through their focus in gameplay mechanics, art style, sound design, so forth. Every time a new Halo game has come out since Reach, there’s always the community half that screams :You just want classic Halo! And proceed to make videos like this (not saying this video is bad, you’re well spoken). I’ve been around for the launch of every Halo and arena shooters before CE (yes I’m that old), myself and most of the Team Beyond community have been. We have a grasp of what works for a game and what doesn’t. And I firmly believe with all of my heart that H5 is not going to be the saving grace of Halo, in fact i’m betting the population won’t retain itself past 5 months. Is it good? Yes! It will most definitetly be a solid shooter with great controls, great shooting, and a larger skill gap than any other shooter on Xbox One atm (bar Doom 4 when it releases) but I don’t consider it a good Halo game. In fact, I don’t really consider anything past ODST a Halo game at all. I hope I don’t sound pretentious, at this point the competitive community has been screaming no sprint (among other things) for LITERALLY the past 5 years so you can understand why the resistance to sprint seems to be dwindling in that aspect. I think a lot of folks just don’t have the heart to fight the battle anymore, I know this is the longest post I’ve made in MONTHS, and I used to compete, forge, gamebattle, all that jazz up until 2010 when Reach launched. If you truly want to have more of an insight as to what I mean, feel free to add me on Xbox, My GT matches my tag here, we can talk. Just throw me a message.

Going in order:
Sprint is here to stay. Its permanent place in Halo was ensured when bungie decided to add it in Halo. Mobility based features cannot be removed easily. When any game adds in a new feature that creates more/varying levels of mobility, most players will be unwilling to go back on that new feature. Believe it or not, there is a lot more hurt to be done than help. People who joined in during the Halo Reach/4 era are just as much fans of halo as those who were around since the originals. Is 343 to ignore the wants of those people and remove sprint? Is that not equally as hurtful as ignoring your wants by keeping it? The path they’ve taken is the only path they can take. Trying to find a middle ground between those who want sprint in halo, and those who are standing firm against it. In actuality there are many people who only think they don’t want sprint in the game. In Halo Reach and Halo 4 sprint was never decently balanced, and thus there are many people who are simply accustomed to hating sprint no matter how 343 chooses to balance. Not to mention that in the fight for/against sprint in Halo 5, the numbers of people against it are quite commonly blown out of proportion. On online forums, it is quite common to see more complaints than praise, as those who are satisfied with Halo 5’s direction won’t have much to say and are simply waiting for the game. Whereas those with complaints will voice them loudly. (As they should) In reality, I don’t think the number of people upset with H5’s sprint is really as huge as many would let on.

So what would happen, hypothetically, if it was indeed the case that pro-sprint fans outnumbered the anti-sprint fans? What then? Would 343 be wiser to ignore that majority on the assumption that it might bring back Halo fans who have already left and given up after Halo 4 based on the principle that perhaps halo was better off without sprint? Just thought I’d bring that up, as many people don’t consider that 343 has to mull over situations like these in order to decide what’s best. Either way, the H5 sprint is undoubtedly the best sprint Halo has had to date, and it was in fact further nerfed after the beta, as I am sure you already know.

Regarding the tighter spread caused by zooming in, It does puzzle me a bit. I can agree that perhaps it needs to go.

Clamber is another element of H5, along with other movement abilities, that exists to increase overall mobility and flow in halo. The thing is, higher mobility and smooth movement in FPS gameplay is quickly becoming a standard of “next-gen” gaming. Many people like smooth, quick movement, and as such, I’m sure that 343 knows it could hurt the franchise big time to move backwards in time to classic Halo style movement. Like I said, they have to balance fans of the originals with fans who want something newer out of their Halo. They will never go 100% back to how things were. Contrary to popular belief, that could put a major mail in halo’s potential future success.

Not to mention that there’s more on the line here than just the competitive multiplayer. So many more factors determine what features are in the game. The extra movement related abilities add increased benefits to how people forge and create interesting custom games, not to mention they add more dynamic and super-soldier like gameplay to campaign. Not only does 343 have to think about older fans vs new, but they also have to think about the benefits across the many different modes in halo, which go beyond just multiplayer, as there is an entire community within halo games that doesn’t care about competitive gameplay, and is playing just for fun. I think many people forget that in these debates over halo’s future.

In relation to the line in bold. Everyone thinks they have a grasp on what’s good for the game. 343 has to sort through the constant back and forth to decide what’s best for Halo’s survival. I say survival, cause we’re not doing awfully well after H4. Although I’d say the hype is indeed building for Halo 5. Hopefully it’ll pay off.

And yes i noticed the part at the end of your post. Just thought I’d get a response in the topic though… walls and walls of text. Oh boy.

Enjoyed the video bunches, thanks for making it and sharing it.

> 2533274803493024;18:
> Enjoyed the video bunches, thanks for making it and sharing it.

No prob, no prob. Plenty more to come in the future. Although I doubt 'll be making a post here for every single one.

I really hope they don’t mess up halo 5 community because not have file sharing totally killed MMC for me and my mates, they must not make this mistake again. They should add what Bungie did in H3 and Reach, maps and games of the week and most rated and stuff, that’s what made halo for me, the community. Anyway good video dude