My thoughts on Halo 5

To sum it up, the plot was too easily predictable, the mood was mediocre and gameplay is sometimes cheesy but the game still enjoyable in some ways.

I expected all of what happened in the scenario, for anyone who has seen the Halo 1 developer gameplay walkthrough, we all know that Cortana going nuts was something Bungie considered at some point.

All 343 is doing with Halo for now is exploiting ideas Bungie didn’t considered good enough and implement them into the Halo universe instead of finding their own, Halo was supposed to happen on a shield world too, Halo 4 is a scenaristic carbon copy of Halo 1, we find an unknown Forerunner world and we engage a race with the Covenants to avoid -Yoink- happening then an unknown force comes into the equation but we manage to eradicate it, the only difference is the so called “death” of Cortana that apparently some people here firmly believed in (I find it hilarious that some of you fell for this) ; Then we can see that Halo 5 has similarities with Halo 2 as well, we play two characters that seem apparently opposite and end up being friend to defeat the enemy that has been through internal changes (Cortana taking over the prometheans replaces the brutes taking over the elites), also Masterchief is the traitor instead of Arbiter being the heretic…

(Also for the people who read the -Yoink- MCDune books from KJA and Brian Herbert, the end is not even a real twist, the Infinity is just the no-ship of Duncan, Cortana and Warden replace “Omnius” & “Erasmus” and then we get to Kralizec, so we can more or less easily predict what will happen in the next Halo games judging from that analogy…)

Then the mood, as everything is predictable and the scenario only “twists” at the very end which makes the story telling way too flat, the characters aren’t very well presented and except for Buck and Masterchief that we already know from previous games other Spartans feel like empty shells, I won’t even argue with people who tell me to read the books, I’m not reading these, I have way better reads on my read list to have time for these books, also we should be able to enjoy the game without having to get to the meta content, we don’t want to spend more time than we want to be able to enjoy the game, it seems only natural…

Now the gameplay, the pace of the game has been fasten ever since Halo 4, so this critic also goes against Halo 4 but in Halo 5 it’s even faster, Halo had a slow pace for a reason and that reason is that the game is a console shooter, slowing down the pace makes the game more enjoyable and easier to handle with a gamepad, so my opinion on speeding the pace of the game is that it makes it feel less Halo-ish but also weakens one of its strongest point of being a console friendly shooter, one thing was also very dispensable, adding smart-link to every weapon, there are weapons that don’t need smart link, it makes the game feel more generic and worst those smart-link even look really ugly sometimes, especially on the Promethean weapons, also the squad system just kills the challenge sometimes. For the good points now, the new Prometheans are enjoyable enemies and that part was really well done in my opinion so all in all gunfights are enjoyable but really feel less Halo-ish in my opinion,…

343 made me feel like they corrected the biggest flaws of Halo 4, that were small environment, Prometheans being bad enemies and their weapons being uninteresting but Halo 5 added new ones especially on the narrative side and I hope those will be corrected as well…

(I just wanted to write this, I know most people don’t care but maybe some of you think like me or others might just take the time to read and take it into consideration, that’s all I expect from it, please don’t flame)

> 2535442744975586;1:
> Now the gameplay, the pace of the game has been fasten ever since Halo 4, so this critic also goes against Halo 4 but in Halo 5 it’s even faster, Halo had a slow pace for a reason

Maybe i just liked reach too much, but i’ve been thinking this same thought ever since halo 4 as well, Halo isn’t super fast paced, it can be fast yes, but tactical primarily.

> 2533274831329662;2:
> > 2535442744975586;1:
> > Now the gameplay, the pace of the game has been fasten ever since Halo 4, so this critic also goes against Halo 4 but in Halo 5 it’s even faster, Halo had a slow pace for a reason
>
>
> Maybe i just liked reach too much, but i’ve been thinking this same thought ever since halo 4 as well, Halo isn’t super fast paced, it can be fast yes, but tactical primarily.

Yeah, in my opinion the Halo gameplay and so on the fun we have playing the game has always been more about finding fun approaches to kill our enemies with all these cool weapons we have at our disposition (and that’s why Firefight was so fun) and less about aggressive fast encounters like in CoD, Halo 5 has both but it has more fast encounters than tactical ones…