My thoughts and opinions on Flood (played it)

So, I was at the Eurogamer Expo yesterday and I managed to play several games of Halo 4, four of which were on Flood on Complex, and I also played (Team) Infinity Slayer on Solace and Haven. I was going to write this post earlier but I never got around to it.

I couldn’t stand Infection on Reach. It was awful. Especially as a Zombie. I really, really enjoyed Flood.

Okay, so down to basics:

-During the whole game, there is some creepy music and sound FX, which get more upbeat at last man standing. It was pretty damn cool.

-When Infected, you move slightly faster, cannot Sprint and jump higher. You have shields (NO MORE ONE-SHOT KILL FROM MAGNUM!!!), but they don’t show up on your HUD. The edges of the screen are dark and have veiny things coming in.

-Flood forms make strange noises and squeal.

-Spartans are just regular Spartans and can Sprint.

-Spartan Loadouts all had a Shotgun and Magnum, just like Reach. You could choose from Hardlight Shield, Promethean Vision and Active Camo as AAs, although I never tried out HL Shield as I thought it would be useless against a sword. I was wrong.

-My favourite as a Spartan was Promethean Vision. Whenever I saw PV, I thought it was just going to be for noobs, I didn’t think I’d ever use it. It was really useful as a human in Flood, as you can see infected players before they see you. When you see a Flood person on your motion tracker, but don’t know where they are it’s really useful.

-Flood players have the “Flood Sword-Thingy” and can choose from Thruster Pack, Promethean Vision or Active Camo.

-My favourite was Thruster Pack as it was awesome to jump and then fly towards the humans, and KILL KILL KILL. Or die. Whichever comes first. Although, due to the speed or jump height of the Flood, once they land they “bounce” and go a bit further. One of the times, I did exactly that, landed RIGHT next to a human, then carried on off the cliff.

-It’s harder to kill as both Spartan or Flood, due to there being less auto-aim, though Im sure players will quickly get used to this.

-The map, Complex, is a very good map. It was clearly the least polished of the bunch, but that is understandable.

Flood is FUN. That is one thing that Infection in Reach failed to achieve. I cannot wait to play it in the full game. Congratulations, 343i, you’ve done a great job.

Thank you. For everything.
Feel free to ask questions, about Flood or the maps, or my Infinity Slayer experience, I’ll answer as best as I can.

> -During the whole game, there is some creepy music and sound FX, which get more upbeat at last man standing. It was pretty cool.

This is fantastic to hear.

> > -During the whole game, there is some creepy music and sound FX, which get more upbeat at last man standing. It was pretty cool.
>
> This is fantastic to hear.

It was awesome. It was similar to some of the sounds from Flood Campaign missions in the original trilogy, and the music was really creepy.

> > > -During the whole game, there is some creepy music and sound FX, which get more upbeat at last man standing. It was pretty cool.
> >
> > This is fantastic to hear.
>
> It was awesome. It was similar to some of the sounds from Flood Campaign mission in the original trilogy, and the music was really creepy.

Dude just reading that gave me goosebumps.

I can’t wait to play this game-mode.

Background music!?
HELL YEAH!!

Question:
Did you saw any flood getting killed by HL shield when they thrusted towards it? I have seen some gameplay footage where that happened and I’d like to know if it was just a bug.

> > -During the whole game, there is some creepy music and sound FX, which get more upbeat at last man standing. It was pretty cool.
>

I agree! This is absolutely amazing!

Everything is! :smiley:

Creepy music and flood noises? win

> Background music!?
> HELL YEAH!!
>
> Question:
> Did you saw any flood getting killed by HL shield when they thrusted towards it? I have seen some gameplay footage where that happened and I’d like to know if it was just a bug.

I didn’t, no. I wish I had tried using HL Shield, though. :frowning:

I knew they were shields :P. Nice to hear that there is some music during the game.

I imagined the pistol acting 3sk. 2 to break shields. I figured complex wasn’t entirely finished. I got to say, the giant cactus plants were bugging me and looked plastic. Still a nice map. Can’t wait to play this.

> I knew they were shields :P. Nice to hear that there is some music during the game.
>
> I imagined the pistol acting 3sk. 2 to break shields. I figured complex wasn’t entirely finished. I got to say, the giant cactus plants were bugging me and looked plastic. Still a nice map. Can’t wait to play this.

I thought the plants were quite cool, clearly alien, just unpolished. The shields are a good addition, not instant death as a Flood player, but still killable from a distance.

>

Everything I read in the OP was fantastico! :smiley:

Question about infinity slayer
Was anything OP? Did you have to use tactics?
Thanks

Thanks to your post you really made me want to play Flood first when I play multiplayer in Halo 4.

> I knew they were shields :P. Nice to hear that there is some music during the game.
>
> I imagined the pistol acting <mark>3sk</mark>. 2 to break shields. I figured complex wasn’t entirely finished. I got to say, the giant cactus plants were bugging me and looked plastic. Still a nice map. Can’t wait to play this.

Oh my it seems that zombies are going to dominate. IMO 2sk would be better but this really makes me want to stick with other survivors.

(please OP reply what you think about this? Were zombies too powerful?)

I have a quick question OP. Are you able to pick up ammo from fallen allies in Flood mode? I know you weren’t able to in Reach’s Infection but from the sounds of having to put a little more shots into the Flood, it would be a nice feature to have.

Thanks for the post OP. It was nice reading someone’s first hand experience of this gametype. Everything is sounding awesome.

> Question about infinity slayer
> Was anything OP? Did you have to use tactics?
> Thanks

None of the weapons were Overpowered, no. And yes, I did use some tactics, although many of the people there didn’t really know what they were doing. Put it this way, it felt great, it played great, and it was certainly Halo.

And the HUD was great. Watching videos of it really does it no justice.

I am so pumped for this gametype. When your a flood, you look like a boss. Although they don’t look like the combat forms from the previous games, I’m just assuming they got infected by the spores instead of the little parasites (which does explain their unique look).

More than anything though, this is going to bring back the custom games that died when reach came out.

Flood mode is going to be badass!

Nice to know that 343 are giving the community what they actually want. Ever since Infection was introduced years ago, people have constantly said they wanted what the OP described. Did Bungie listen? Nope.