My theory on the Halo: Reach/ TFoR retcons

So I just got done re-reading Halo: The Fall of Reach after finishing Primordium. With the release of the Forerunner trilogy I decided I wanted to re-read and re-play everything in the Halo universe. I have owned the original The Fall of Reach in paperback for years but decided to buy the re-release on my iPhone so I could check out the additional chapters. I found that these additional chapters were nothing more than ONI data interactions and a “sup dawg how you doin’” conversation between two UNSC technicians. What I was really looking for was some closure on the whole Pillar of Autumn/ Cortana issue that Halo: Reach started. Here is my theory on the whole ordeal, and this brings some peace of mind to my head. Let me know what you think and if you have any input or feel free to post your own theory.

From the book we know that John and his team of SPARTAN-IIs are aboard the PoA awaiting their mission to capture a Covenant ship and bring a San’Shyuum back for ONI to interrogate. A complete battalion of Covenant ships than shows up to destroy Reach and everyone begins to freak out. The S-IIs mission is compromised (for the time being), Chief sends his remaining troops to defend Reach planet side and takes Linda and James to board an ONI cruiser to destroy NAV data. James is lost to the black of space and Linda is severely wounded but their mission is accomplished. John returns to the PoA to leave with Keyes and Cortana on his original mission, not knowing if any of his Spartans are still alive.

From the game we discover that Covenant troops have invaded Reach at the same time everything is thought to be calm on the PoA. Noble team is fending off the invasion and ultimately is given the task of delivering Cortana to the Pillar of Autumn. Six completes his mission and Keyes enters slip-space than Halo: CE starts. I think there is some room for deliberation here. Here is my theory

> John and the Spartans are kept in the dark about the Covenant initially being on Reach. ONI deems their mission so important to the future of humanity that they order Keyes to continue with the mission and use NOBLE team to defend Reach. While John and the twos are prepping on the Pillar of Autumn Keyes rendezvous with Six to retrieve Cortana. This explains why she hasn’t fully integrated into the ship as they are leaving. As they leave Reach’s atmosphere and head out-system, Keyes gets an order to destroy the Circumference’s NAV data aboard a UNSC orbital docking station. This is when knowledge of the Covenant invasion is brought to John’s attention. Now he decides to take James and Linda to get the NAV data and sends the rest of his squad to defend Reach planet-side. After this Keyes makes the jump to Installation 04.

This works for me in my head. The time-line seems to fit as well. What do you think?

I think thats about right? Read the journal + data drops.

I swear the POA timeline will never stick in my head until i see a simple timeline chart for it ><

It “works”, but I really really don’t like the way it does.

Yeah, neither do I. But, like I said, this brings peace of mind and everything seems to fit. I don’t think we’ll ever know EXACTLY what happened.

> It “works”, but I really really don’t like the way it does.

> Yeah, neither do I. But, like I said, this brings peace of mind and everything seems to fit. I don’t think we’ll ever know EXACTLY what happened.
>
>
> > It “works”, but I really really don’t like the way it does.

If they were to make halo movies, they’re going to have to do something about it. I know exactly how I’d combine the stories into one cohesive climactic battle instead of the mumbo jumbo we have now, but that’s just me…

The only way I see a faithful Halo movie coming out is if Blomkamp directs it, they have a stellar budget, and 343i stays true to all known cannon! Honestly I think a direct adaptation of The Fall of Reach into film would be epic.

> > Yeah, neither do I. But, like I said, this brings peace of mind and everything seems to fit. I don’t think we’ll ever know EXACTLY what happened.
> >
> >
> > > It “works”, but I really really don’t like the way it does.
>
> If they were to make halo movies, they’re going to have to do something about it. I know exactly how I’d combine the stories into one cohesive climactic battle instead of the mumbo jumbo we have now, but that’s just me…

Canon.

Short for canonical.

Which Halo obviously is not with such an expansive universe.

> Canon.
>
> Short for canonical.

The game and the book go together just fine. People just lack imagination. In the original Novel, as well as the reprint, the Pillar of Autumn is informed the Planet is under attack 47 minutes before Fermion Station even detects the incoming Covenant Fleet. How is this possible you ask? Easy. The game establishes that Reach had been under attack for a month. The Adjunct section of the reprint establishes that the Spartans and Autumn crew were left in the dark because their mission was too important and the Spartans are so loyal to Reach they would risk everything to save it. As far as ONI is concerned Earth is far more important and so Reach was sacrificed.

Well… that actually means a small portion of what I speculated/ “imagined” is true!

> The game and the book go together just fine. People just lack imagination. In the original Novel, as well as the reprint, the Pillar of Autumn is informed the Planet is under attack 47 minutes before Fermion Station even detects the incoming Covenant Fleet. How is this possible you ask? Easy. The game establishes that Reach had been under attack for a month. The Adjunct section of the reprint establishes that the Spartans and Autumn crew were left in the dark because their mission was too important and the Spartans are so loyal to Reach they would risk everything to save it. As far as ONI is concerned Earth is far more important and so Reach was sacrificed.

Any new material retcons the old. The Fall of Reach has several mistakes in it that nobody seems to care about, but when Reach came out people are complaining saying “OH BUNGIE YOU MESSED UP!!”
In the book it says that Halsey just theorized that the Elites existed.
Also the number of surviving Spartan-IIs has increased significantly over the years.