My Take on Spartan Ops

Ehh, I appreciate 343 trying to leave their mark on Halo and bringing in something new with Spartan Ops… but I’m not feeling the vibe with this one. The missions are the same, and they’re so mundane and boring… I prefer the arcade style of Firefight myself; blasting covies with infinite Rocket Launcher ammo and Jet Pack fuel, racking in them points. Instead, I am doing the same objectives over, and over, and over again. I can only do a mission or two at a time and then when I come back to it, I forget all about the story and why I’m actually there in the first place.

After playing episode 8, I realised why I haven’t actually touched the Campaign in a while also, and it’s because of the Promethean Knights. Don’t get me wrong, their mechanics are amazingly well done. However, that being said, they’re such a pain in the -Yoink- when there are so many of them and especially those levels when you’re faced with them time and time again… I actually am starting to miss the Flood. Some variation, you know? Although, if the intended effect was to make me breathe a sigh of relief when I finally spot an elite after drudging my way through an army of Promethean Knights, then I guess it worked.

Like I said, the Promethean Knights mechanics are actually some of the smartest I’ve seen in a video game, but they should be a novelty among a variation of enemy’s… and not just enemy’s whose sole purpose is to support them. Being constantly faced with teleporting, resurrecting (shoot the Watcher’s first, I know), shield recharging, flanking and mere charging at you and pummeling you in the face soon becomes a -Yoink!- annoyance - especially because I play on harder difficulty’s, when there are so many - rather than fun. It’s almost as if it’s rinse and repeat, despite the many mechanics.

Just something to mix the combat up, which is why I miss the Flood. At least then I could go into a long lasting melee fray… My take on it, I know I’ll probably get a lot of hate… and I didn’t mean to come off as rude.

Anyone else agree with me?