My Story ideas for Halo 5

First off, I’m not suggesting a plot for the game.

I’d just like to give some ideas that could be in the story.

I’d also like to say that when I played Halo 4, I had almost no idea what was going on.
I’d never read the books and I was on the Waypoint forums for 8 months to Halo 4’s launch so I had a pretty good idea of what would appear in the story and why.

But still, I was confused by the story and it seemed like I had to read the books to truly understand it all.
I feel as if 343 failed hard in this regard; Bungie never let any of the extended Halo lore interfere with their campaigns and they all played out brilliantly.

But I have read the Fall of Reach now, so I’d say I’m further than I was in Halo lore.
So I’d like this campaign to explain and delve into showing us (and explaining) the outer universe.

Anyways:

We see Chief wandering in the desert “looking” for something right?

He’s on a journey - both a literal one and a metaphorical character-driven one after the death of Cortana.

So I think this would be a great opportunity to explore his origin and dig up some depth for the character.

I think Chief should have ‘struggles’ while he’s travelling.
He’s a broken soul by the beginning of the game.

So let’s say he has to make a jump across a wide gap between cliffs. A Chief of 5 years ago, 10 years ago or 25 years ago could make it but this Chief can’t.

So he falls into the deep pit of darkness that rests at the bottom of the gap between the cliffs. John’s lost (multiple meanings here).

We then go into a flashback where we control a younger Chief at the age of six. We play out the King of the Hill game that happens in Fall of Reach.

6 year old John shouldn’t talk or have his face shown here imo. This goes on until a cutscene starts.
A young dark-haired woman in a lab-coat walks up to him and causes all kids to pause the game.
(Back to first person) She brings John out into private, says “I’m Dr Catherine Halsey” and she asks him “What were you doing there John?”.

It then cuts to black and goes to a dark dusty place with a light flickering on & off slowly from the fallen Chief’s helmet. He replies solemnly, now out of the flashback “I was winning”.
This is how Master Chief’s helmet cracks too.

Then moving on (Chief tries to make his way out of the bottom of the cliff - hence some fighting sections as he comes across Forerunner AI (Like the Prometheans) that are out of their slumber.

Chief makes it back to where he jumped off (show a brief cutscene before this of him climbing up with determination.)

He finds the will to make it across - to win - from that flashback, makes the jump and lands easily on the other side.

That’s it, that’s one of the examples of a “struggle” I think Master Chief could go through in this campaign.
I think they should be spread across the entire campaign and not be part of the plot but feed into the story. They’re character development for Chief.

ALSO I don’t want any showing of younger Chief’s face - all the time we play young John should be in first person. Any cut-scene while we’re in a flashback should also not have Chief’s face or body in it.

And I don’t want the times where we play a younger Chief to be counted as gameplay sections - except if we go into flashbacks where he fights against Insurrectionists (Sam’s death flashback anyone?) or Covenant.

So, what are your guy’s opinions on this?

I really like some of your ideas, and they stray from the widely over-used theory that Chief is looking for Bias. Perhaps he’s looking to answer the question - Which one of us is the machine? - through a more spiritual journey that has him reflect upon the past. You could play through Chief’s flashbacks as a setting for all the action in the game, whilst have him walking through an endless desert between those sections. When he finally reaches the thing he is looking for, the backstory will be established and the stage set for Halo 5. After all, they’re making it quite apparent that this isn’t necessarily ‘Halo 5’.

> I really like some of your ideas, and they stray from the widely over-used theory that Chief is looking for Bias. Perhaps he’s looking to answer the question - Which one of us is the machine? - through a more spiritual journey that has him reflect upon the past. You could play through Chief’s flashbacks as a setting for all the action in the game, whilst have him walking through an endless desert between those sections. When he finally reaches the thing he is looking for, the backstory will be established and the stage set for Halo 5. After all, they’re making it quite apparent that this isn’t necessarily ‘Halo 5’.

I absolutely love your idea if this wasn’t Halo 5, which I hope it isn’t.

However if it is, I’d also like plot advancement and new lore.
Even if it isn’t, it would be nice to shed some more light on the Forerunner and Precursors.

They could make Chief’s character journey as the base foundation and build a plot upon that.

Absolutely, if this game IS serving as Halo 5, then by all means the plot needs to advance. But it would be nice if they explained the canon a little more, and explored that in-game. I agree with you, more focus on Chief’s history. It might be nice to have a few scenes which depict Cortana’s sub-conscious thoughts as she remembers certain events that she and John experienced. This would serve as a glimmer of hope to the player that she’s still out there, and also give some great viewing.

Edit: If you’ve seen the animated collection ‘Halo: Legends’, the very first story features a semi-rampant Cortana, on the Forward unto Dawn, telling the story of the Forerunner, the history of humanity and the Covenant etc… and I really loved this as it served as an introduction to newer fans while also being worked into the whole ‘Cortana is thinking herself to death’ scenario. (If you haven’t seen Halo: Legends, I highly recommend it!)

I like the idea of spreading out some FoR flashbacks throughout the campaign (especially if they’ll always be relevant to his current situation). For instance, if Jon infiltrates Jul’s ship and comes face-to-face with Halsey, that mission would have Halsey-themed flashbacks. 343i has said before that, while they were not going to include it in Halo 4, Jon’s backstory is something they may choose to explore in the future. As you said, Cortana’s death opens up a perfect opportunity because of Jon’s broken state. On top of that, the fact 343i haven’t yet decided on the name (and not just Halo 5) might mean the story will be different this time (while still continuing Jon’s storyline) and that’s a good way to do it IMO.

That said, Cortana’s death also opens up other potential storylines such as a new AI (preferably the complete opposite to Cortana, male even) or the introduction of possible spoilers for OP Blue Team.

EDIT: I also agree that reading the books was too necessary to understand the plot (like the Covenant’s return, or the Didact’s motivations…). Hopefully 343i avoid that next time.

Personally, I’d rather the flashbacks come from First Strike. Cortana was notably problematic there first and Chief had to deal with the survivors of the Battle of Installation 04. It would also help people understand how Johnson survived, where Halsey went and got off Reach and reintroduce Blue Team and other Spartans.

> Personally, I’d rather the flashbacks come from First Strike. Cortana was notably problematic there first and Chief had to deal with the survivors of the Battle of Installation 04. It would also help people understand how Johnson survived, where Halsey went and got off Reach and reintroduce Blue Team and other Spartans.

I didn’t much like First Strike. IMO it was Nylund’s weak link in the series.

> > Personally, I’d rather the flashbacks come from First Strike. Cortana was notably problematic there first and Chief had to deal with the survivors of the Battle of Installation 04. It would also help people understand how Johnson survived, where Halsey went and got off Reach and reintroduce Blue Team and other Spartans.
>
> I didn’t much like First Strike. IMO it was Nylund’s weak link in the series.

It’s my favorite Halo book.

> > > Personally, I’d rather the flashbacks come from First Strike. Cortana was notably problematic there first and Chief had to deal with the survivors of the Battle of Installation 04. It would also help people understand how Johnson survived, where Halsey went and got off Reach and reintroduce Blue Team and other Spartans.
> >
> > I didn’t much like First Strike. IMO it was Nylund’s weak link in the series.
>
> It’s my favorite Halo book.

It seems we disagree on yet another point… XD
My favorite is Ghosts of Onyx.

> > > > Personally, I’d rather the flashbacks come from First Strike. Cortana was notably problematic there first and Chief had to deal with the survivors of the Battle of Installation 04. It would also help people understand how Johnson survived, where Halsey went and got off Reach and reintroduce Blue Team and other Spartans.
> > >
> > > I didn’t much like First Strike. IMO it was Nylund’s weak link in the series.
> >
> > It’s my favorite Halo book.
>
> It seems we disagree on yet another point… XD
> My favorite is Ghosts of Onyx.

Have to admit, Ghosts of Onyx was probably my favourite too. But I’m not afraid to admit that I love the Karen Traviss series more as a whole. Despite her degrading treatment of Halsey (Favourite Halo Character), the plot that Traviss has gone for interests me more, as I’m greatly interested in the post-war recovery and tension. I like the idea of Halsey flashbacks in a mission about rescuing her. Perhaps similar to when Cortana was messaging Chief from the hands of the gravemind.

> Personally, I’d rather the flashbacks come from First Strike. Cortana was notably problematic there first and Chief had to deal with the survivors of the Battle of Installation 04. It would also help people understand how Johnson survived, where Halsey went and got off Reach and reintroduce Blue Team and other Spartans.

I think it’d be best to have flashbacks from every book if they’re relevant to the situation.

Also Fall of Reach is mine :stuck_out_tongue:

> Absolutely, if this game IS serving as Halo 5, then by all means the plot needs to advance. But it would be nice if they explained the canon a little more, and explored that in-game. I agree with you, more focus on Chief’s history. It might be nice to have a few scenes which depict Cortana’s sub-conscious thoughts as she remembers certain events that she and John experienced. This would serve as a glimmer of hope to the player that she’s still out there, and also give some great viewing.
>
> Edit: If you’ve seen the animated collection ‘Halo: Legends’, the very first story features a semi-rampant Cortana, on the Forward unto Dawn, telling the story of the Forerunner, the history of humanity and the Covenant etc… and I really loved this as it served as an introduction to newer fans while also being worked into the whole ‘Cortana is thinking herself to death’ scenario. (If you haven’t seen Halo: Legends, I highly recommend it!)

Yep I completely agree with you.

Also I haven’t seen Halo Legends because I can’t watch Halo as anime, I don’t like it at all.

> Yep I completely agree with you.
>
> Also I haven’t seen Halo Legends because I can’t watch Halo as anime, I don’t like it at all.

You’re missing out then. It being anime doesn’t devalue the story or fail to do the story justice. It isn’t like Sailor Moon or anything. Sure it can be cheesy, but every Halo has it’s cheesy moments in bulk.

> > Yep I completely agree with you.
> >
> > Also I haven’t seen Halo Legends because I can’t watch Halo as anime, I don’t like it at all.
>
> You’re missing out then. It being anime doesn’t devalue the story or fail to do the story justice. It isn’t like Sailor Moon or anything. Sure it can be cheesy, but every Halo has it’s cheesy moments in bulk.

> > Personally, I’d rather the flashbacks come from First Strike. Cortana was notably problematic there first and Chief had to deal with the survivors of the Battle of Installation 04. It would also help people understand how Johnson survived, where Halsey went and got off Reach and reintroduce Blue Team and other Spartans.
>
> I think it’d be best to have flashbacks from every book if they’re relevant to the situation.

All very true.