I made 2 ranking systems that are designed to please competitive gamers as well as address the issues that come with it. Whether or not they accomplish this is what you have to decide.
tl;dr: What these ranking systems are supposed to accomplish:
- Determines the player’s skill and matches similar players
- Prevents people from exploiting the system
- Reduces the black market of buying and selling accounts
There are 2 ranking systems: “Custom” and "Arena Style"
=“Custom” system uses features of the Halo 2 ranking system. It is the one I made from the ground up.
=“Arena Style” uses modified Halo Reach Arena system. It is not the Halo Reach Arena system. The formula is used to help calculate skill.
=Each system changes a player’s rank on a game-by-game basis.
- These ranking systems can only be implemented in Team Slayer game types. Examples: Team Snipers, Team Swat, Team Slayer, and MLG Slayer. Another ranking system will have to be created for objective based and other game types.
- This system does not take into account quitters. I didn’t implement this because Halo 4 said that players could join in-game progress. I don’t know the specifics so I didn’t implement a penalty system for quitters. If you want me to I can, but I will let you figure that out.
- Because it doesn’t penalize quitters, the systems don’t work for Halo 4 and need to be changed, but this is something I feel the Halo 4 ranking system should run like.
- I am not saying the systems are flawless. There will always be flaws in ranking systems.
Excel File: here
HOW TO USE EXCEL FILE:
- Download or copy the file so you can edit it.
Click File>Make a copy… (Note: You must be signed into Google)
File>Download as>Excel (Note: You must have excel)
- Change stuff in yellow to simulate a game.
- Make sure the game is possible
- Look at change in rank.
Red: change calculated by “Custom” system
Green: change calculated by “Arena Style” system
END OF tl;dr.
I set out to develop my own ranking system for Halo. I did it to see just how hard it is to make a ranking system. The system can’t be implemented for objective game types. Another ranking system would have to be added on to this. These ranking systems are just the tip of the iceberg–a starting point. It is meant to help represent the core of a ranking system for competitive play. It is also necessary that the game implements social and ranked playlists for these systems to work. I also believe that a progressive system has to be implemented along with these systems. In Halo 3, 1 win = 1 EXP. Halo Reach used a credit system. I am not here to discuss which ranking system should be implemented or why a progressive system should be implemented on top of the skill ranking system. Please talk about that else where. I am here to discuss a skill based ranking system. Test it out and if you don’t like it tell me why. However, when you do so, be constructive and use logic to backup your argument.
How the systems work:
These systems define a player’s true skill and give them a number from 1 to 50 (like previous halo installments). The way it is different from other Halo ranking systems is that it doesn’t rank people based on if they win (1 reason why it can’t be used in other game types). It ranks them on how well they did in game. It looks at the post-game stats and determines how much a player should rank up or down in comparison with the team. So if you get a positive K/D spread, you will more than likely move upwards in rank. Read below for an in-depth analysis on how I calculated skill.
I tried to create a system that should be hard to exploit. I have tested situations from boosting, joining and not playing the game, to constantly committing suicide. I could have created the penalty system for quitters but I don’t know the specifics for quitting and joining in Halo 4. I can implement a quitting system that would work for Halo Reach, Halo 2, and Halo 3 if need be. I am also fully aware that just because I have tested and created these systems does not make them good or flawless. That is for you to decide. I believe the “Custom” system is good because of the logic behind it. If the logic is flawed, tell me why. However, be polite and use logic to back up your argument. I will keep an open mind as long as you do this. Read below for an in-depth analysis on how I helped prevent exploiting the system.
The systems also reduce the black market of buying and selling accounts. I say reduce because as with any ranking system, there will always be a black market. I recently came across how to really reduce the black market by looking at the forums here. I found 3 solutions that help solve this problem. But by doing so, it also creates some more problems. This is where you need to decide which problems are worse: the black market, or the ones created by the solutions. Read below for an in-depth analysis on how I created a system to reduce creating a black market.
Thank you for your time and patience reading this.