My opinion on the bloom mechanic

As you guys know, Halo Reach suffered massive backlash from Halo’s competitive community for two main reasons, unbalanced armor abilities and reticle bloom. I’ll be focusing on the latter, and how it should be properly implemented in Halo 4. I’ll start with breaking down the two types of bloom that I’ve observed in video games: actual bloom and illusive bloom. I’ll use the term “point of aim” to denote the center of the targeting reticle.

The first type, actual bloom, is the mechanic that Halo Reach uses. Actual bloom means that as the reticle expands on your screen, your bullets begin to randomly deviate away from your point of aim regardless if you were good enough to keep your point of aim centered on your opponent’s head. This is why Reach failed so hard on a competitive standpoint. It didn’t matter how accurate you were–your shots would still go off course. Your character aimed like a drunk guy and DMR battles became luck-based spam fests.

On the other hand, Call of Duty uses the mechanic that I call illusive bloom. As the name suggests, it is merely an optical illusion–the reticle still expands but your shots do not deviate from your point of aim. Basically this means that the bloom is the game’s means of trying to make it harder for you to land consecutive hits on your opponent, instead of making the gun itself less accurate. As long as you were good enough, you could still gun down your opponent regardless of the hipfire bloom. The only flaw with this system was that it applied to every gun in CoD, allowing the complete domination of automatics over other weapons that take more skill to use.

How should this be implemented and balanced in Halo 4? Actual bloom would make precision weapons rather annoying, and illusive bloom would make automatic weapons overpowered and too easy to use. Therefore I propose this: automatics use actual bloom like the Assault Rifle in Halo Reach, while precision weapons use illusive bloom as an added skill requirement.

So far it seems like Halo 4 is going for a bit of that illusive bloom you mentioned. Almost everyone who tried the DMR says bloom barely affects it unless at very long range which leads me to believe its just there as a visual cue

I never understood why Bungie gave the DMR such large bloom. It was supposed to be a long range weapon but firing multiple shots in succession turned into a close range one. Pacing your shots also wasn’t very good as it was to slow to actually kill anything.

> I never understood why Bungie gave the DMR such large bloom. It was supposed to be a long range weapon but firing multiple shots in succession turned into a close range one. Pacing your shots also wasn’t very good as it was to slow to actually kill anything.

Like I said, the only problem with the DMR’s bloom was the fact that it was actual bloom. If it was illusive bloom, I doubt the competitive community would be so frustrated about it.

> So far it seems like Halo 4 is going for a bit of that illusive bloom you mentioned. Almost everyone who tried the DMR says bloom barely affects it unless at very long range which leads me to believe its just there as a visual cue

It’s not really a visual cue either. From what I experienced at RTX it doesn’t fully reset for your next shot. I can only see the minimal bloom and I mean extremely minimal bloom on the DMR being effective at a very very long range

CoD has even more ridiculous aim-assist then any Halo game ever.
Automatics didn’t dominate that game either. It was shotguns and snipers with their heavy aim-assist and underbarrel grenade launchers.

> CoD has even more ridiculous aim-assist then any Halo game ever.
> Automatics didn’t dominate that game either. It was shotguns and snipers with their heavy aim-assist and underbarrel grenade launchers.

Really? For me it was the corner campers that would down you faster than you can realize you’re getting shot at

> CoD has even more ridiculous aim-assist then any Halo game ever.
> Automatics didn’t dominate that game either. It was shotguns and snipers with their heavy aim-assist and underbarrel grenade launchers.

So would you like to have actual bloom or illusive bloom?

This is a good idea, OP. Actual bloom adds a new level of skill to automatics, and illusive bloom adds a kind of consistency between automatics and precisions without reducing the importance of skill when using the latter.

> snipers with their heavy aim-assist and underbarrel grenade launchers.

Really… WTF man, why would you put a grenade launcher on a sniper. :confused: Never mind, don’t tell me, I don’t want to know, it’s a stupid idea.

OP, I agree, automatics should have the actual bloom, and precision weapons should have the illusive bloom, to not only even things out, but also to show people using automatic weapons that holding down the trigger doesn’t always means you’re going to land every bullet.

> > So far it seems like Halo 4 is going for a bit of that illusive bloom you mentioned. Almost everyone who tried the DMR says bloom barely affects it unless at very long range which leads me to believe its just there as a visual cue
>
> It’s not really a visual cue either. From what I experienced at RTX it doesn’t fully reset for your next shot. I can only see the minimal bloom and I mean extremely minimal bloom on the DMR being effective at a very very long range

So it’s actual bloom, just almost nonexistent?

> > > So far it seems like Halo 4 is going for a bit of that illusive bloom you mentioned. Almost everyone who tried the DMR says bloom barely affects it unless at very long range which leads me to believe its just there as a visual cue
> >
> > It’s not really a visual cue either. From what I experienced at RTX it doesn’t fully reset for your next shot. I can only see the minimal bloom and I mean extremely minimal bloom on the DMR being effective at a very very long range
>
> So it’s actual bloom, just almost nonexistent?

Yep, the smaller reticule inside the outer reticule does not bloom past the outer reticule. I hope thats worded properly haha, but yes it’s very minimal and almost nonexistent except for maybe an extremely long distance talking like one base of blood gulch to the another, distance

> > snipers with their heavy aim-assist and underbarrel grenade launchers.
>
> Really… WTF man, why would you put a grenade launcher on a sniper. :confused: Never mind, don’t tell me, I don’t want to know, it’s a stupid idea.
>
> OP, I agree, automatics should have the actual bloom, and precision weapons should have the illusive bloom, to not only even things out, but also to show people using automatic weapons that holding down the trigger doesn’t always means you’re going to land every bullet.

I think he means underbarrel GL’s in general.

CoD is riddled with noob tubes. Though I will give credit that it’s not as bad in MW3 as it was in say…MW2

> > > > So far it seems like Halo 4 is going for a bit of that illusive bloom you mentioned. Almost everyone who tried the DMR says bloom barely affects it unless at very long range which leads me to believe its just there as a visual cue
> > >
> > > It’s not really a visual cue either. From what I experienced at RTX it doesn’t fully reset for your next shot. I can only see the minimal bloom and I mean extremely minimal bloom on the DMR being effective at a very very long range
> >
> > So it’s actual bloom, just almost nonexistent?
>
> Yep, the smaller reticule inside the outer reticule does not bloom past the outer reticule. I hope thats worded properly haha, but yes it’s very minimal and almost nonexistent except for maybe an extremely long distance talking like one base of blood gulch to the another distance

Eh, that sounds really wonky, though I don’t know exactly how to describe it.

> > > > > So far it seems like Halo 4 is going for a bit of that illusive bloom you mentioned. Almost everyone who tried the DMR says bloom barely affects it unless at very long range which leads me to believe its just there as a visual cue
> > > >
> > > > It’s not really a visual cue either. From what I experienced at RTX it doesn’t fully reset for your next shot. I can only see the minimal bloom and I mean extremely minimal bloom on the DMR being effective at a very very long range
> > >
> > > So it’s actual bloom, just almost nonexistent?
> >
> > Yep, the smaller reticule inside the outer reticule does not bloom past the outer reticule. I hope thats worded properly haha, but yes it’s very minimal and almost nonexistent except for maybe an extremely long distance talking like one base of blood gulch to the another distance
>
> Eh, that sounds really wonky, though I don’t know exactly how to describe it.

You’ll have to experience it for yourself to see what I’m talking about.

> > > > > > So far it seems like Halo 4 is going for a bit of that illusive bloom you mentioned. Almost everyone who tried the DMR says bloom barely affects it unless at very long range which leads me to believe its just there as a visual cue
> > > > >
> > > > > It’s not really a visual cue either. From what I experienced at RTX it doesn’t fully reset for your next shot. I can only see the minimal bloom and I mean extremely minimal bloom on the DMR being effective at a very very long range
> > > >
> > > > So it’s actual bloom, just almost nonexistent?
> > >
> > > Yep, the smaller reticule inside the outer reticule does not bloom past the outer reticule. I hope thats worded properly haha, but yes it’s very minimal and almost nonexistent except for maybe an extremely long distance talking like one base of blood gulch to the another distance
> >
> > Eh, that sounds really wonky, though I don’t know exactly how to describe it.
>
> You’ll have to experience it for yourself to see what I’m talking about. In other words I totally agree with your original post

I know what you’re talking about (I just looked up some Halo 4 gameplay videos and saw the DMR in action). It sounds like they’re trying to combine actual and illusive bloom into one mechanic that has no real psychological or physical effect on gameplay whatsoever.

> > > snipers with their heavy aim-assist and underbarrel grenade launchers.
> >
> > Really… WTF man, why would you put a grenade launcher on a sniper. :confused: Never mind, don’t tell me, I don’t want to know, it’s a stupid idea.
> >
> > OP, I agree, automatics should have the actual bloom, and precision weapons should have the illusive bloom, to not only even things out, but also to show people using automatic weapons that holding down the trigger doesn’t always means you’re going to land every bullet.
>
> I think he means underbarrel GL’s in general.
>
> CoD is riddled with noob tubes. Though I will give credit that it’s not as bad in MW3 as it was in say…MW2

Oh, well I’ve only played MW2’s MP, and BO’s SP, so I wouldn’t know what’s going on in MW3.

> > > > snipers with their heavy aim-assist and underbarrel grenade launchers.
> > >
> > > Really… WTF man, why would you put a grenade launcher on a sniper. :confused: Never mind, don’t tell me, I don’t want to know, it’s a stupid idea.
> > >
> > > OP, I agree, automatics should have the actual bloom, and precision weapons should have the illusive bloom, to not only even things out, but also to show people using automatic weapons that holding down the trigger doesn’t always means you’re going to land every bullet.
> >
> > I think he means underbarrel GL’s in general.
> >
> > CoD is riddled with noob tubes. Though I will give credit that it’s not as bad in MW3 as it was in say…MW2
>
> Oh, well I’ve only played MW2’s MP, and BO’s SP, so I wouldn’t know what’s going on in MW3.

Many would say you’re not missing much. Pretty much the same, but the globe-trotting themed maps are nice. Some balancing, the support package is great if you prefer to earn stuff through kills overall and not killstreaks (the options are obviously not as powerful, the most you get is a riot shielded Juggernaut) Kill confirmed is also pretty fun. It’s like head hunter (without the objective spots) or like how you earned killstreaks in Crysis 2

Sorry to be a kill joy but I just went on to MW3 to test hip fire bullet spread with the sniper (and a couple other weapons) and in fact it does have actual spread/ bloom it is no illusion. I stood perfectly still and fired individual shots with long gaps of time between at a wall and the result was shots would hit the wall anywhere within the ridicule randomly. I repeated this again but with a person standing exactly in the middle of the ridicule and bullet magnetism did seem to radically improve consistency but despite neither the player or aim ever moving it was still about 1 in 2 chance of the bullet hitting where you aimed.