My opinion on H5 Beta

I’ve seen all the negativity on this forum and frankly I don’t think that it is warranted for such a new game. It’s a beta, for one, meaning there is gonna be a ton of updating and tweaking and fixing stuff over the next 9 months until it’s released. Two, why be so negative about a beta? You didn’t play any money for it, it was free so why be negative? Constructive criticism is what is needed to change the game to be what we all want. I’ve been around since Halo 1, I started playing it was I was 10 years old. I’ve grown up with each Halo game as it came out. I know there are new players, and I respect your decision to play a game which I and millions of other people love and hold dear to our hearts. I also respect 343i and their employees for listening to our suggestions and making a game that we all want.

Now, I’ve only played 7 or so games of the beta due to my work schedule. But so far, I love it. I enjoyed the competitive nature of Halo and Halo 3. With Halo 4, I thought the competitiveness left the game due to all the armor abilities and the weapon loadouts. I also thought that with the ranking system as it was in Halo 4, it didn’t match you up with players around your same skill level. In the beta, I think it is awesome how every person starts with the same weapon and abilities. It makes it as I felt Halo should be. You don’t have people running around with plasma pistols and BRs. You have two balanced teams fighting for map control and the power weapons. Even with a BR start, it still feels balanced and competitive. Yes, I agree with some of the threads that BR starts should only be on large maps. That makes sense. The smaller maps and then the maps in the new Playlist Breakout, are great with assault rifle starts. It makes it exciting to race to get the best position or to get a power weapon.

I’ve always loved Halo. But I always felt as though something was missing. A Spartan is a super soldier. Emphasis on the super. I always felt as though I was just another marine running on the ground. I couldn’t jump high, I couldn’t run fast, I couldn’t run at an Elite and punch him in the face. With the new armor abilities and the sprint feature, I feel like I am a Spartan. I feel like I am a super soldier. I love the feeling of being able to run and use the jet boost abilities. I also love the hover ability when zooming in with a weapon. They make me feel as though I am actually in that suit and actually controlling a Spartan, the most powerful soldier the Earth has to offer.

Now, there are fixes to be made and tweaks to be done, but overall, I am excited for Halo 5 to come out. I think this game will be excellent and it will bring back what Halo is all about. The gameplay is competitive and fast-paced. The maps so far are great. I just can’t wait to get into Forge and customs to really examine them all. This game is great. Now let us stop being negative about a beta version of a game and let’s constructively criticize the game so that 343i can make it the best damn game ever.

I agree to an extent, but to me it feels like a polished updated Halo 4.

You’re right we need constructive criticism, but some times I feel the only way 343 will see anything is if it’s plastered on the forum in multiple topics.

I welcome the repeat threads, gives me a chance to maybe here another side of the story, and as long as you’re not a hothead or 12 years old, it’s pretty easy not to go off on someone.

Its our responsibility to shape this game beig lucky enough to have a beta a year from the actual release, let’s just hope 343 actually reads their own forums. -_-

> 2533274812949247;2:
> I agree to an extent, but to me it feels like a polished updated Halo 4.

By “feels like” you mean aesthetically right? Since they were built by the same studio? Not because of the equal starts, no loadouts, no armor abilities, no ordinance drops, spawning with camo, plasma grenades, promethean vision, boltshots, etc, etc.

I can honestly say yeah mainly Aesthetically, but you have to understand I literally couldn’t stand Halo 4 or Reach. I’d say so far I’ve played close to 50 games of the Halo 5 beta(USAF got me working) and it’s not Terrible, but it just doesn’t feel like the Halo I’ve come to know and love. Yes weapon starts are the same, but things like Sprint, overpowered weapons, map layout because of how the new Halo style is, make this game stale.

I guess what I mean is Halo 5 seems like what Halo 4 was meant to be, but still feels not to skillful to me. Could be that I’m growing up, stuck in the past Halo’s, maybe just because it’s a new company with new ideas.

Regardless of how bad I think any Halo is, I’ll play it because I love this game. I mean it’s still about a year from release, maybe I’ll like the game after all.

> 2533274812949247;4:
> I can honestly say yeah mainly Aesthetically, but you have to understand I literally couldn’t stand Halo 4 or Reach. I’d say so far I’ve played close to 50 games of the Halo 5 beta(USAF got me working) and it’s not Terrible, but it just doesn’t feel like the Halo I’ve come to know and love. Yes weapon starts are the same, but things like Sprint, overpowered weapons, map layout because of how the new Halo style is, make this game stale.
>
> I guess what I mean is Halo 5 seems like what Halo 4 was meant to be, but still feels not to skillful to me. Could be that I’m growing up, stuck in the past Halo’s, maybe just because it’s a new company with new ideas.
>
> Regardless of how bad I think any Halo is, I’ll play it because I love this game. I mean it’s still about a year from release, maybe I’ll like the game after all.

I’d have to argue that if Halo was today identical to when we began nearly 14 years ago, it’d be much more stale. I’m not saying this is the right or wrong direction, I’m just saying it would be incredibly redundant by now.

People ask if Halo is even still relevant. And I think 343 is trying to make it so. Folks are starting to look at us Halo fans like they do those people who refuse to let go of Team Fortress 2; as if we’re just hanging on to the past by playing an old game or standing by an aging franchise struggling to recapture lightening in a bottle.

Does it need to change? Probably. Is this the right change? I have absolutely no idea. But I am inclined to think they’re -Yoink!- if they do and -Yoink!- if they don’t. And that we as a community aren’t going to allow them to release a good game because no matter what they do we’re going to trash it. And that spreads.

And I’m not biased about it, my favorite Halo is Combat Evolved: I can kick some butt in CE, and I absolutely suck at Halo 5 … but it’s still fun. I haven’t gotten this riled up and frustrated playing a Halo game since Halo 3 and look at how popular that was … so maybe that’s a good sign. I don’t know.

> 2533274883669557;5:
> > 2533274812949247;4:
> > I can honestly say yeah mainly Aesthetically, but you have to understand I literally couldn’t stand Halo 4 or Reach. I’d say so far I’ve played close to 50 games of the Halo 5 beta(USAF got me working) and it’s not Terrible, but it just doesn’t feel like the Halo I’ve come to know and love. Yes weapon starts are the same, but things like Sprint, overpowered weapons, map layout because of how the new Halo style is, make this game stale.
> >
> > I guess what I mean is Halo 5 seems like what Halo 4 was meant to be, but still feels not to skillful to me. Could be that I’m growing up, stuck in the past Halo’s, maybe just because it’s a new company with new ideas.
> >
> > Regardless of how bad I think any Halo is, I’ll play it because I love this game. I mean it’s still about a year from release, maybe I’ll like the game after all.
>
>
> I’d have to argue that if Halo was today identical to when we began nearly 14 years ago, it’d be much more stale. I’m not saying this is the right or wrong direction, I’m just saying it would be incredibly redundant by now.
>
> People ask if Halo is even still relevant. And I think 343 is trying to make it so. Folks are starting to look at us Halo fans like they do those people who refuse to let go of Team Fortress 2; as if we’re just hanging on to the past by playing an old game or standing by an aging franchise struggling to recapture lightening in a bottle.
>
> Does it need to change? Probably. Is this the right change? I have absolutely no idea. But I am inclined to think they’re -Yoink!- if they do and -Yoink!- if they don’t. And that we as a community aren’t going to allow them to release a good game because no matter what they do we’re going to trash it. And that spreads.
>
> And I’m not biased about it, my favorite Halo is Combat Evolved: I can kick some butt in CE, and I absolutely suck at Halo 5 … but it’s still fun. I haven’t gotten this riled up and frustrated playing a Halo game since Halo 3 and look at how popular that was … so maybe that’s a good sign. I don’t know.

Well put man, I see what you mean, adapt and what not. Im just hoping this is either the right direction, or classic Halo is the right direction, and not just the fact Halo has run its course. Time will tell.

You are right. I cannot say if the retail game will be good or bad. This is a beta with months of tweaking. I think this game will be way better than halo4. That said, I dislike the beta enough and know from experience with 343s other games that I will not be buyin this game day 1. I will def. keep my eye on reviews and perhaps purchase a month or two down the road.
Microsoft/343 have failed to provide my money’s worth too many times in the past.
( hell, I only own an Xboxone and MCC because it was given to me for my 30th birthday ). After playing Halo4 I swore to myself I would never buy another game blindly ( no beta, no preorder ).
Thank you 343 for the beta, you gave me a chance to be an informed consumer.

I just wanted to say I agree with you one hundred percent. The game is fun, fast paced and really competitive. Also, the part about being a spartan was spot on. They were made to be elite super soldiers with extremely advanced (but heavy) armor and until this game they felt a little sluggish and wimpy (for lack of a better word).