My opinion of the Music in Halo 4

Now, as someone who loved Marty’s music, I was very upset when I heard he wasn’t composing for Halo 4. It made me a bit more upset when I heard the music and realized it wasn’t that same old Halo music we have all known and loved. But now after playing the game for nearing ten days, I feel it is safe enough to judge the music.

I feel that the music is good and Neil Davidge tried his best. It didn’t feel like it was meant for Halo. Far to many scenes were being overpowered by the music. Let’s take the mission Dawn for example when you are outside of the ship. It was awesome, the muffled sounds, the beautiful environment, and then there was the music. Not fitting that well and far to overpowering. For the first time in a long time, I played a game where the music pulled me out of gameplay and went “Why the hell is the music so loud?”

So Neil, I know all the things you had to try and live up to. So I like you for giving it your all and you get A for that. But I feel that the music is just to far off from the classic monk chants.

It wasn’t by any means memorable. If you want to make a good Halo game, the music needs to be just that. Memorable.

Bu-…but I like ‘To Galexy’. It fits in perfectly. ;-;

Too loud? How? Mine plays so quietly I can barely here it in most places. It is extremely annoying because I actually think the soundtrack fits the mood of THIS game perfectly.

The only memorable song in the entire game was Arrival. It’s the song that plays at the very end of the game when you’re taking down the Didact’s shield inside around the Composer.

Very sad to say it, but unfortunately the music in this game is atrocious. Zero melodies, no direction whatsoever, not memorable in the slightest, and it simply sounds bad. Being a musician with a very good ear and appreciation for a very vast array of music, I can say with confidence that this game’s music is unacceptable. The only good music in this game are the remixed musical pieces from Halo 2 and 3. I feel like that says a lot. Extremely disappointed.

Very sad to say it, but unfortunately the music in this game is atrocious. Zero melodies, no direction whatsoever, not memorable in the slightest, and it simply sounds bad. Being a musician with a very good ear and appreciation for a very vast array of music, I can say with confidence that this game’s music is unacceptable. The only good music in this game are the remixed musical pieces from Halo 2 and 3. I feel like that says a lot. Extremely disappointed.

Sorry for reviving a old thread guys.

@Aiyms, I’m not sure if you use just your TV. But on ,ysurround sound and headset. The music is just overpowering

I think it’s pretty good, but nothing like Halo 2 or Halo 3… :((

I just hear a lot of repetition of ‘DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN!’ and it seems like every track ends the same way. Other than that it’s a good soundtrack.

Have you not listened to Nemesis? One of the best soundtracks for a video game I’ve heard, of course the main Halo theme will always be best, but Halo 4’s new soundtrack is outstanding.

Listen here.

I found it to be decent at best. But that is just my opinon

Glad I’m not the only one. “Finish the Fight” gave me goosebumps. I think that’s why this game’s campaign didn’t feel like Halo to me

I love the soundtrack but it loses a lot of it’s power as you can barely hear it in-game. 343 should give us the option to turn up the volume of the music.

Some of the music was rather boring and generic, but when it was good it was really -Yoinking!- good. Arrival and The Enemy in particular really stood out to me. I think that both Marty’s music and Neil’s music are great in their own ways. Marty’s scores are more intense and majestic, and they make you feel more heroic, while Neil’s are more subtle and they sound more intimidating and alien, fitting well with the much darker atmosphere of the Reclaimer Trilogy.

Too. Too. Too.

Sorry, just had to get that word out of my head. But I think the music is good. It fits into the story quite nicely and whether it’s too loud is not really up to the composer. In fact, you can go into the options and turn down the music if you wish.

> Too. Too. Too.
>
> Sorry, just had to get that word out of my head. But I think the music is good. It fits into the story quite nicely and whether it’s too loud is not really up to the composer. <mark>In fact, you can go into the options and turn down the music if you wish.</mark>

Actually, from what I hear, you cannot.

Everyone just loooooves to be a critic. I can understand if you don’t like the music for nostalgic reasons or for whatever. My only problem is when people say the music is simply “atrocious” for no reason. And then go on saying how they’re a musician with a good ear. Not trying to call out anyone, but that one post really bothered me, because whoever said this clearly knows nothing about music. Melodies? That’s for the radio and nursery rhymes. REAL music is something you feel, which is exactly what Neil put into this soundtrack, FEELING. Scratch that, it is not a soundtrack, it is a score, much like a film’s.

The music matches the story’s alien and dark feel perfectly, mixing a bit of lone hero themes into it for the Chief. Heck it even mixes in the tender moments, which is probably one of my favorite things about the Halo franchise’s musical world: it has just about everything you want in a cinematic experience. If you watch the ViDoc’s on Neil doing his work, you will notice that he put lots of effort into making the score feel “alien”. He’s an audio engineer because he thinks of the most unorthodox way to play his instruments and records it. Then he does what dubstep producers do with their synths, except he does it with real sounds. Not only is that skillful, but it delivers.

Remixes? Those are easy, using other people’s directions to make your own. I would know, because I’ve done orchestral remixes. It’s a helluva lot harder to start from scratch. All I ask is that you respect the work that Neil Davidge has done. It’s not bad simply because it’s different.

The music is fantastic on its own, but 343 did a horrible job incorporating it into the campaign, except for a select few spots

> Some of the music was rather boring and generic, but when it was good it was really -Yoinking!- good. Arrival and <mark>The Enemy</mark> in particular really stood out to me. I think that both Marty’s music and Neil’s music are great in their own ways. Marty’s scores are more intense and majestic, and they make you feel more heroic, while Neil’s are more subtle and they sound more intimidating and alien, fitting well with the much darker atmosphere of the Reclaimer Trilogy.

If you’re talking about this, the track name is “Revival”, not “The Enemy”.