My Open Message to Bravo Re: H1 4v4

I sent Bravo this message a while back. But he didn’t respond. I’m sure he gets hundreds if not thousands of messages a day from Halo fans begging for something to be incorporated into MM, so I’m not surprised he can’t respond to all of us. Anyway, maybe if there’s even a few other Halo fans like me out there and this gets enough attention, he’ll take a look at it. So here it is:

Dear Bravo,
I’ll try to keep this short. I know you must be very busy.
I’ve been a Halo fan from the beginning. My friends and I used to lan H1 every weekend. Some of us, myself included, bought extra tvs, xboxes, and copies of Halo just to accommodate all the people that came by. One friend and I even bought Halo PC to fill in the void during the week. The majority of our time was spent playing Blood Gulch CTF, Hang Em High CTF, and various FFAs.
A lot has changed since H2 released Nov 9, 2004. Friends get married and move. But needless to say, we were all besides ourselves to hear the news that we’d be able to play H1 online with the release of MCC. I think it goes without saying we were all pretty sad to learn the only dedicated H1 playlist would be 2v2. We tried for months to get H1 in Big Team Battle and Team Slayer, only to have multiple people on the other team quit. I still try to this day, and it’s still the same.
Here’s the problem: The vast majority of the guys in my age group, the guys who bought multiple copies of Halo CE and persuaded many of their friends to get Halo, are now too busy with families and jobs to get on these forums and make their voices heard. So I speak for all of them when I say, please, for old times sake, and before H5 comes out, give us a Halo 1 4v4 playlist. I guarantee it will be played.
Thank You, Cliff aka Klifftacular

Definitely agree with you… hope this gets taken seriously

+1. 343 is full of sum bammas

agreed. im an old school haloer and 2v2 sucks, and halo CE BTB is a rare vote and usually is lots of quitters.

It was 4v4 at one point.

They changed it because of the maps and particularly spawns didn’t work well for 4v4. You might feel differently about this, but unlike your friends who don’t have the time to access these forums to have their voices heard a lot of people on these forums made sure 343 knew 4v4 didn’t work on CE.

if you have enough friends I would reccomend 4 manning the slayer playlist and voting CE every time. If you have even more friends I would suggest doing customs, which will probably be a better experience all around. If you have no friends hit up the recruitment section and be proactive about finding some.

the community already spoke up about this and 2v2 CE came out on top.

> 2765156556939703;5:
> It was 4v4 at one point.
>
> They changed it because of the maps and particularly spawns didn’t work well for 4v4. You might feel differently about this, but unlike your friends who don’t have the time to access these forums to have their voices heard a lot of people on these forums made sure 343 knew 4v4 didn’t work on CE.
>
> if you have enough friends I would reccomend 4 manning the slayer playlist and voting CE every time. If you have even more friends I would suggest doing customs, which will probably be a better experience all around. If you have no friends hit up the recruitment section and be proactive about finding some.
>
> the community already spoke up about this and 2v2 CE came out on top.

I took a week off work to play MCC when it was released (wish I could have those vacation days back). I don’t remember ever seeing a 4v4 playlist. Honestly I may have missed it because MCC was so broken I switched to Destiny for a while.

As far as the community that made sure it wasn’t 4v4, but 2v2, I have a good friend who has made all those arguments amply clear to me. But as far as I know, that is the very competitive and very skilled community. Like top 1%. But all the blue collar types like me and most of my friends never got tired of all the 4v4 gametypes. But they aren’t the kind of guys to get on here and discuss all this. But they vastly outnumber the 1%.

As for customs, I’m actively trying to find guys (or gals) who want to play. But my friends in real life don’t want to play customs with people they don’t really know. There’s a good reason we all limited our mics to friends long ago. It would so much easier if 343 would just make a 4v4 playlist. Why can’t they just try it?

They did and it didn’t do well. You can always get 4v4 CE in Team Slayer.

> 2765156556939703;7:
> They did and it didn’t do well. You can always get 4v4 CE in Team Slayer.

Did they try it when MCC was completely broken? I remember CE being the most unplayable of them all in the beginning of MCC. I don’t see how it could ever have succeeded.

CE should be removed from TS and BTB. When CE gets voted for there is a very high quit rate on the other team.

I wish they’d give it another chance. Me and my old Halo friends are sick of Destiny and getting back into Halo mode. Well, I’m completely back into Halo mode.

Actually I might have spoken wrong. According to the patch notes from March 27 it changed the team size from 2-3 players down to strictly 2. I could have sworn it was 4v4. My apologies sir.

And MCC was working well in March after the big update earlier that month, so it had a good few weeks run with ‘3v3’ before the community decided it had to go.

> 2533274792068284;9:
> I wish they’d give it another chance. Me and my old Halo friends are sick of Destiny and getting back into Halo mode. Well, I’m completely back into Halo mode.

Honestly man there are a lot of things I would like to be able to accomplish within this game. But given the complexity of 4 games in 1 while trying to manage population counts within playlists so matchmaking doesn’t take forever, well, they can’t please everyone.

> 2765156556939703;11:
> > 2533274792068284;9:
> > I wish they’d give it another chance. Me and my old Halo friends are sick of Destiny and getting back into Halo mode. Well, I’m completely back into Halo mode.
>
>
> Honestly man there are a lot of things I would like to be able to accomplish within this game. But given the complexity of 4 games in 1 while trying to manage population counts within playlists so matchmaking doesn’t take forever, well, they can’t please everyone.

To a certain extent I understand that. But I have friends that literally won’t play MCC unless we can play 4v4 H1, and I’m sure I’m not the only one with friends like that. The overall population of MCC would grow if there was a 4v4 playlist. Plus, can’t us old school H1 gamers get grandfathered in? Pun completely intended. If we want to sit around for 15 minutes chatting on Xbox Live while we wait for a match, shouldn’t we be able to? To many of us that’s infinitely better than being forced to play TS H3. Most of my friends got jobs and lives after H1 and were never able to adapt to the huge change in playstyle that came with H2 and everything after that. All they want is to be able to get on Xbox Live and relive the good times of their video game playing days. And, no, they don’t want to play customs with strangers, and even if they did their busy lives only afford them time to play. Not get on forums to beg and/or organize games.

100% agree. 2v2 serves a small group of players. It’s easier to get a custom 2v2 match going than a larger game on larger maps because it’s less people.
I’d like to see at least 4v4…5v5 as Halo 4 is doing it would be great. CE usually gets outvoted in other rooms so there is little chance to play larger games. I have yet to play on many amazing larger CE maps. There is also no room for people to learn to play CE in 2v2. New players usually get murdered and quit early, leaving their teammate to play 2v1. Often that person quits and then the game is over prematurely. I’d gladly deal with crazy spawn issues to play in 4v4, 5v5, or 6v6 larger objective matches on the big maps.

Hey Klifftacular, all,

Thanks for the very valid feedback. This is something we’ve been discussing for some time, and have certainly seen a good mix of feedback for both 4v4 and 2v2, and understand the pros and cons of each. While I cannot promise anything at this point, I do want to let you know that we’ve certainly heard the feedback and that it’s something I’m actively discussing with the playlist team. 4v4 CE is an experience that is a bit too buried in matchmaking right now and we’re thinking about adjustments we can make while keeping playlist health in mind. Cheers once again.

> Hey Klifftacular, all,
>
> Thanks for the very valid feedback. This is something we’ve been discussing for some time, and have certainly seen a good mix of feedback for both 4v4 and 2v2, and understand the pros and cons of each. While I cannot promise anything at this point, I do want to let you know that we’ve certainly heard the feedback and that it’s something I’m actively discussing with the playlist team. 4v4 CE is an experience that is a bit too buried in matchmaking right now and we’re thinking about adjustments we can make while keeping playlist health in mind. Cheers once again.

Well call me a brute chieftain’s uncle, he responded.

Let’s make our geezer gamer voices heard. Let’s FINISH THIS FIGHT!

edit: cT says hi.

Wow, he responded! Props to Klifftacular for creating the thread and making the push… I know so many people who want this playlist.

> 2533274793548697;16:
> Wow, he responded! Props to Klifftacular for creating the thread and making the push… I know so many people who want this playlist.

Thanks. But instead of just saying to ourselves “Okay. He responded.” Now we need to keep speaking up more than ever. Let’s just keep it in the matchmaking forum. And everyone try to get anyone you know that has given up trying in the past to get back on here and speak for themselves.

I already responded to the “Need more Halo CE choice” topic xxRogueDBxx made in the Halo MC Collection subforum, but just wanted to state here also that I support a 4v4 Halo: CE playlist. I think 2v2 Halo: CE should be moved to the doubles playlist so that way 2v2 Halo: CE still exists and we get a dedicated 4v4 Halo: CE playlist. Also a Halo: CE BTB playlist would be nice. I would also be ok with these being unranked.

I just want to make a couple more points. Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t there more people playing MCC now than ever because the game is more functional than ever? Also, for myself personally I’m playing more Halo because I’m excited for H5. Wouldn’t that warrant more playlists?

> 2533274792068284;19:
> I just want to make a couple more points. Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t there more people playing MCC now than ever because the game is more functional than ever? Also, for myself personally I’m playing more Halo because I’m excited for H5. Wouldn’t that warrant more playlists?

Yeah just out of curiosity is there any way to see how many people are playing the game at any given time? Or maybe a way to see the number of players that played over a period of time? For me personally I have three friends that purchased the master chief collection when it came out and then left it because of all the issues. Then a few weeks ago another one of my friends got it with his Xbox One bundle and said he was having a blast playing it online so I decided to check it out. Since then we’ve had two other friends say they’re buying an Xbox One soon to be able to play Halo: CE online. I think the three that had it originally are willing to check it out again if all of us will be online playing, and we have a few more friends that will probably follow suit once the rest of us are online. I know this is a small number of people but it wouldn’t surprise me if there are more situations like this. These aren’t people that will be voicing their opinions on forums though. It’s just some high school buddies that loved playing Halo: CE back in the day and are willing to play again now that their buddies have told them they can.