My NAT type isn't open... any help?

Matchmaking says my NAT type is not open. I don’t have any clue what that means, but it always tells me this and it says matchmaking may be slow, and sometimes it is, if this helps my internet provider is Clear. Please tell me how to fix this.

It says that on mine every time, but it never does anything. So from personal experience, I would say just ignore it.

Just google “opening NAT on Xbox live.” you’ll find plenty of easy step-by-step instructions to follow on how to open you nat.

> Matchmaking says my NAT type is not open. I don’t have any clue what that means, but it always tells me this and it says matchmaking may be slow, and sometimes it is, if this helps my internet provider is Clear. Please tell me how to fix this.

Give your 360 a Static IP address, then go into your Router and put that IP Address in the DMZ. Opens the connection to it instantly.

Assuming you don’t know what the above user means and/or your router doesn’t support DMZ, turn every device currently connected to your router (including your Xbox) off, then restart your router and turn your Xbox on. Before I knew how to DMZ, this would always give me an Open NAT.

> Matchmaking says my NAT type is not open. I don’t have any clue what that means, but it always tells me this and it says matchmaking may be slow, and sometimes it is, if this helps my internet provider is Clear. Please tell me how to fix this.

If wireless: Go to connection settings on the 360 and run a test, should reset back to open, if not try the “wired” step and then retest.
If wired: Turn router off for 20 seconds, turn back on.
If this doesn’t work check the settings on your router, hope this helps.

How do i give my 360 a static ip address?

does the Static IP adress thing help with upstream bandwidth? Just sounded like it managed both

A static IP address basically means your XBox will be given the same network address (a bunch of numbers to identify where it is on the network, for non-techies =P) every time it is turned on. Without it, your network address can change while the device is not connected.

This has absolutely no bearing on performance whatsoever. It just allows you to set up network rules to your XBox that are guaranteed to stay there.

I played Halo Reach without NAT open and honestly didn’t have any problems. We have since changed internet providers and now it is easy to enable NAT on our new router, and although I haven’t tried Reach, I’m not noticing a difference.

I’ll tap out a basic guide:

Firstly, how phobic are you of technology? If you don’t know what IP addresses on your network look like (either 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x) then stop here because it’s really not worth it.

Next you need to give your XBox a static IP address. Go to the dashboard, open Settings (on the far right I believe) and the option is in there somewhere. Give it some ridiculous address like x.x.x.230 (the x’s being the same as everything else on your network). The default gateway is the IP address of your router and can be obtained by typing “ipconfig” (without quotes) into command prompt from a computer on your network.

That done, open Internet Explorer and in the address bar, type the IP address of your router (same as default gateway). You should get a login page, google your router make and model with “default password”, should tell you either what it is or where to get it.

Routers vary significantly in terms of configuration so I’m going to throw keywords at you. You’re looking for “NAT”, “DMZ” or “Port Forwarding”, in that order of preference. If you can find NAT or DMZ (might be hidden under Networking or something) it’ll want an IP address, give it the same one you gave your XBox.

If it’s port forwarding, you need to set up the following ports to go to your XBox;
Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)

Restart your XBox for good measure and check NAT status again. If it didn’t work, undo everything you did and don’t bother. If you get stuck anywhere, don’t bother. It’s really not worth hassle and I only did it because I happened to be messing around with the router =P