My idea of making Space Battles work

I was thinking just now, wouldn’t it be interesting to see a game mode that mainly focused on Space Battles? It would be most successful if it was designed very similarly to Warzone, in my opinion. Rather than it being a full spin-off multiplayer mode, it could do very well while keeping infantry combat a core part of it.

What I propose is a game mode featuring 24 vs 24 Space Battles called “Onslaught”. Extra powerful and unique vehicles would be added along with already existing ones such as (but not limited to) Pelicans, Broadswords and Sabres. The idea is that there are 2 extremely large UNSC Flagships that act as home base for either team, so 1 for Red and 1 for Blue. They are also separated by, you guessed it, outer space. Your flagship is where you spawn on foot and seek out a vehicle to take in the vehicle bay. Color-coded Marines will defend the interior sections of the ship in a fashion identical to Warzone. The Flagships have defensive turrets that can be used by players and Marines to devastate any incoming player-controlled aircraft.

The objective of this game mode is to either reduce the enemy Flagship’s Hull Integrity to 0 OR to board it and attempt to take their Control Room. The enemy ship’s hull integrity can be damaged by taking control of any of the 3 floating space stations in between the two flagships. The stations have to be boarded and combat will ensue on foot - Spartan vs Spartan. These stations are quite large and house various weapons including some power weapons. The lower deck of one of the stations is inhabited by Covenant - killing them will allow you access to their Banshees and Phantoms. The other station’s lower deck is inhabited by Prometheans and killing them grants you access to some of their weapons and 2 Phaetons. Each station also has a satellite that can be restored only by retaking the lower deck and pressing a button. It only takes a moment and it automatically marks any nearby enemy ships for 5 minutes. After the 5 minutes is up, all the NPC enemies will respawn and you’ll have to kill them all again if you want to reactivate the satellite for another 5 minutes. Satellites can be stolen by the enemy team but only if they are uncontested on the lower deck.

More importantly about these space stations, however, is that they have large turrets on them that are capable of dealing moderate to heavy damage to the enemy Flagship whereas your aircraft deals little to none. Controlling the stations to use their massive turrets is key in this game mode as it’s going to be your primary source of damage on the enemy Flagship. Some turrets will be cannons preferably used for hitting the Flagship, some are machine guns that are good for hitting targets at other stations or any player-controlled aircraft, then there are lock-on turrets that function like the stationary Missile Pod that are really only good for dealing with aircraft. These turrets can also be used to destroy the enemy flagship’s defensive turrets, with the exception of the Missile Pod, giving you more options once in a turret. However, one of the space stations has a MAC Cannon on top of it that is capable of dealing large amounts of damage. The flipside? You are very exposed on this station to the other stations’ turrets and to any enemy aircraft flying in the area. The MAC Cannon also has a long recharge time in between shots. Controlling this station and protecting your shooter on the MAC Cannon is extremely important if you want to win. If your team has managed to own both the satellites on the other two stations at the same time, one of two things will happen: If the enemy is in the MAC Cannon or gets in it before your satellite timers are up, the MAC Cannon will instantly suffer an EMP pulse that disables it for a full 30 seconds. If one of your teammates is in the MAC Cannon or gets in it before the timers are up, he gets a 4x Overshield to help him survive a little longer.

If you wish to board the enemy’s Flagship to take their Control Room then you are going to need to bring some friends in a Pelican (or two) or other transport vehicle to have any chance at success. This strategy is only recommended when most of the enemy Flagship’s defensive turrets have been destroyed. Without them gone, your aircraft will be shredded in seconds as soon as you get within range. If you manage to infiltrate their ship, fight towards the Control Room. Once in the Control Room, you must set up a HAVOK nuke which takes 5 seconds to arm and can only be armed when the room is clear of enemies - and then defend it until it detonates. As you might have guessed, the enemy can disarm the nuke but they only have a minute to do it. Be careful, they can disarm it right underneath your nose if you’re too focused on combat and it takes 5 seconds to disarm, any damage taken will cancel the disarming of the bomb. Basically, you get one shot at it per infiltration and if you succeed, it’s an instant victory. This strategy won’t be used until later in the match when all the defense turrets have been disabled. If a lot of your defense turrets are down, consider playing a more defensive game, especially if the enemy team is losing by a large margin.

All sorts of debris and small asteroids would float around and provide more depth to aerial combat and dogfights. Some debris contains gaps that are big enough for expert pilots to skillfully maneuver through, providing a dramatic escape or an unsuspecting ambush.

For immersive gameplay, your Flagship will beep softly with alarms, sparks will flare and pipes will burst with steam (think Pillar of Autumn) the more it is damaged. The ship will growl and rumble when in critical condition with light fixtures dangling and equipment knocked over. If the enemy has deployed a HAVOK nuke in your Control Room, loud alarms will blare, red lights will glow ominously and you’ll be able to hear the ship’s AI directing all non-combat personnel to evacuate the ship over the PA while ordering all Spartans to disarm the bomb ASAP.

If you lose, prepare to die in a nuclear explosion if you are anywhere near your base. If you win, congratulations! You get to watch the fireworks. If you were inside the enemy base while it detonated, you died a hero and the game will reward you with a special medal, commending your sacrifice.

What do you guys think?

Perhaps it could be called “Onslaught” instead? Interesting idea all in all. Sort of reminds me of Battlefront 2 space battles.

> 2535437978373619;2:
> Perhaps it could be called “Onslaught” instead? Interesting idea all in all. Sort of reminds me of Battlefront 2 space battles.

I almost called it that xD I’m gonna change it to that.

> 2533274833600810;3:
> > 2535437978373619;2:
> > Perhaps it could be called “Onslaught” instead? Interesting idea all in all. Sort of reminds me of Battlefront 2 space battles.
>
>
> I almost called it that xD

It would seem appropriate, considering the size and scope of it. :smiley:

I love the sound of this. Large scale, space battles, objective gameplay- sounds great :slight_smile:

I really don’t think Halos weapon palette would work with large scale space Battles. I think the mode would be a ghost town inside a month. Sorry to be a party pooper!

> 2533274803493024;6:
> I really don’t think Halos weapon palette would work with large scale space Battles. I think the mode would be a ghost town inside a month. Sorry to be a party pooper!

I think it could work. Restrict infantry combat to space stations and leave the huge scale battles to flying vehicles. Allow the upper decks of the stations to have some sniper play or possibly man-cannons to allow travel between the stations.

It would require a lot of work and iterations but it could work.

The general principle looks like Star Wars Battlefront II, a great game btw.

> 2533274940426117;8:
> The general principle looks like Star Wars Battlefront II, a great game btw.

Yeah it is a bit like that. There’s only one huge flaw that I can see right now with my idea - there’s no incentive to even engage in space combat, all the combat revolves around controlling the MAC Cannon…

I guess it’s just me, and I didn’t want to read that wall of text, but I still wanted to point out…
It’s barely 6 weeks until the first LCE and the Consoles are released, do you really think that this would be able to happen in Halo 5? If not, it really shouldn’t be here in the Halo 5 section of the forums, but rather one of the general discussion forums. Don’t get me wrong, it could be a fantastic idea, but the basis of what you’re requesting would be to have it apply to Halo 5, if you’re posting it here. And due to time constraints, there is literally no way this could/would happen.

> 2535447317427844;10:
> I guess it’s just me, and I didn’t want to read that wall of text, but I still wanted to point out…
> It’s barely 6 weeks until the first LCE and the Consoles are released, do you really think that this would be able to happen in Halo 5? If not, it really shouldn’t be here in the Halo 5 section of the forums, but rather one of the general discussion forums. Don’t get me wrong, it could be a fantastic idea, but the basis of what you’re requesting would be to have it apply to Halo 5, if you’re posting it here. And due to time constraints, there is literally no way this could/would happen.

I’m fully aware that it can’t happen but it’s something I’d like to imagine and fantasize about being in Halo 5 or even Halo 6. I’m simply bringing up a game mode idea for Halo 5.

> 2533274833600810;7:
> > 2533274803493024;6:
> > I really don’t think Halos weapon palette would work with large scale space Battles. I think the mode would be a ghost town inside a month. Sorry to be a party pooper!
>
>
> I think it could work. Restrict infantry combat to space stations and leave the huge scale battles to flying vehicles. Allow the upper decks of the stations to have some sniper play or possibly man-cannons to allow travel between the stations.
>
> It would require a lot of work and iterations but it could work.

Perhaps, you dont need a vehicle, you could use your thruster to move about, like when you sprint, those little boosters activate, you use those to move through space and thrust to dodge fire. This is if you choose to not use a vehicle.

I honestly think halo space battle will be easier done through an RTS style than a FPS style.

I could see this playing out. I like this idea.