My Honest Take on Halo 4

I heard you take opinions to heart, and I think I’ll share mine. I don’t represent everyone, but here we go:

To open up Overall:

Please note this:
Do not try to please Call of Duty fans or 10 year old kids ever again, I am begging you. They don’t care about you, they use your game only until the next “stunning” addition of their fabled game comes out. It will be like that no matter what. Pay attention to the Halo community. We are the ones who care, and will stick by you through the thick and thin. They won’t. Shut them out. Your game will never have a million players online. Accept that. Take their money, and shut them out.

Thank you for the read in advance, as this’ll be a long one.

Campaign

Personally, I thought the campaign was about the same as every other halo. Go somewhere, shoot some stuff, press a button, see a cutscene, go somewhere else, repeat, for 4 hours. The campaign was short, though, mostly due to Spartan OPs I guess.

The ending is hit or miss really, some people will be fine, while others will whine inevitably. Considering you didn’t do horrible in the writing, I believe you are going somewhere with this and I can trust you here.

8 ish/10

Spartan Ops

This is a miss for me. Personally, I don’t believe moving out firefight, which was a lot of fun, for some more campaign, but with your multiplayer character is a bad idea. These are like campaign missions, which I have helped like 10 people beat on legendary, and I can tell you this : After one playthough, I didn’t want to play it again. Next time, add both, or add more campaign and include firefight. I can call this now, nobody will play it after the final episode, unless they are farming xp. Which is a dumb idea, considering you have double xp.

6/10

Double XP

Why did you do this? More money? I don’t understand. It has already strayed away from, high rank = usually better to high rank = sits in chair for 8 hours. Now it is 4 hours? I don’t see why you would agree to this. Maybe it was Microsoft and it wasn’t your call, but honestly, it was a poor choice nonetheless.

0/10 Sorry

Multiplayer

TrueSkill

I honestly think this is better than in Halo 3. I get into games with people around my level usually, indefinitely and, for the most part, my team is usually fairly matched. Good job.

8/10 (For now, exploits are unheard of as the game just came out)

Load outs Primary Weapons

Having a startout weapon of your choice is a nice idea. The BR needs to be buffed, along with carbine and other similar weapons, which shouldn’t be hard.

8.5/10

Perks

Perks are nonsense. Extra Ammo, quick reloads, etc is not needed. Why is this added again? If Call of Duty can’t balance itself with perks and it has been going for, what, almost a decade? Why would you think of adding this? I haven’t seen any huge unbalances, but like Call of Duty, many perks will remain untouched as they are borderline useless compared to others.

5/10

Secondary Weapons

Why did you make us able to carry around a shotgun, and a derp shield remover again? These are regarding the pistols. I don’t get this either. Charge up gun, shoot it, switch shot, win battle. This is your idea of competitive play? Really, 343? This has been a horrible idea from the start. It is called a “Noob Combo” for a reason.

4/10 (just because the USMC pistol is nice

Armor Abilities

These, inevitably, will never be removed. I won’t ask this. Having sprint in every loadout is a great idea and having you slow down went shot is pretty nice. I hated kamikaze runners in Reach. Knowing the beat down system was trash in that game, they were rewarded. Thank you for this.

However, Hardlight shield is ridiculous. Promethean vision is useful, but it shouldn’t have to be. Here is how your game plays out.

Step:

1. Get shotgun/sniper that drops at my feet.
  2. Camo myself in a corner when someone walks by.
  3. Shoot them. Be rewarded.
  4. Repeat.

This is not competitive, nor is it fun. In every Halo game prior, one or two shotguns were placed and you didn’t deal with crouch, camo, snipers in the back of the map. What is this? This is not competitive or fun ( I say it again). Especially when everyone is of equal skill, playing like some -Yoinks!-.

Why not place one Camo one the map in a drop box (or whatever it is called)? Have the announcer, or at the very least a notification, like you wanted. This way you don’t deal with that crap anymore? Especially on Haven. Really, please?

5/10

Maps

Forge

You have made some good additions, namely Magnets, but the maps are all grey just like in Halo Reach. Boring Maps, recreated, that play nothing like the ones in the other games they come from are gonna be in this game. Calling it right now.

The maps are also arguably better. Considering I wasn’t a huge fan of Forge World, your maps dedicated to forge seem a little small.

8/10

Sandbox

The maps play decently enough, I really am not yelling veto, or keep or vote this map, like I would in H3 (Guardian, The Pit, Black out, Heretic, Isolation (Vote, Vote, Vote!!!)), so I don’t really have a good or bad opinion with these. The players are the problem, not the maps themselves.

Why didn’t you place any regular weapons on the map? Like some Ammo for my BR, Assault Rifle, etc? I run out of ammo really quickly, and by the time I get to the person I killed, the weapon disappears. It seems like it disappears way to quickly.

7.5-8.5/10 (Haven’t decided if I think it is average or good yet)

Overall

I left some things out. Namely, overall gameplay. I like the movement speed, the strafing, and the gunplay overall. It is better than Reach, so nice job on that. I was just hoping for something a lot better. Considering you have many people from Bungie, I was hoping it would be a stunning improvement, even better than H3 (Best Halo on xbox 360, in my opinons), but I’ll just have to wait another 2-4 years to get something I’ll enjoy.

(This is note an average of previous scores)

For a Halo game:(I’d give Reach a 5-6)(Halo 3 will be 8-8.5 ish)(Halo 2 will be a 9) 7.5/10
For a game in general: 8.5/10

If you made it here, thank you again. If you disagree, that is fine. I just thought I’d put it out there.

Great review.

lots of good points there… you right about the true skill i find my opponents pretty good & i love it… the stuff i wanna see gone are promethium vision, joining match… lol about the 10 yr old COD jk… thanks for the honest review

Very good review. I agree with most of your points.

A couple of things you forgot to mention are the grenade indicator, permanent sprinting, and the kill cam. None of the other Halo games had these. Just another gimmick to make the game appeal more to the Call of Duty fanboys.

> lots of good points there… you right about the true skill i find my opponents pretty good & i love it… the stuff i wanna see gone are promethium vision, joining match… lol about the 10 yr old COD jk… thanks for the honest review

Thank you for the read.

I honestly forgot about the joining in session thing. I’d have to say it would be a hit or miss for me. It depends on the game I join.

Full party, score 900 to 100. They have full map control and all powerweapons, you join game and get stomped. This isn’t fun at all. I like to join the close games, or even have someone join mine (for the most part, as long as they aren’t hilariously below the skill level in the game). I’d hate to be winning and have 1 or 2 people lag out, and lose. Not that it really matters, as you rank up anyway though.

Thanks again.

> > lots of good points there… you right about the true skill i find my opponents pretty good & i love it… the stuff i wanna see gone are promethium vision, joining match… lol about the 10 yr old COD jk… thanks for the honest review
>
> Thank you for the read.
>
> I honestly forgot about the joining in session thing. I’d have to say it would be a hit or miss for me. It depends on the game I join.
>
> Full party, score 900 to 100. They have full map control and all powerweapons, you join game and get stomped. This isn’t fun at all. I like to join the close games, or even have someone join mine (for the most part, as long as they aren’t hilariously below the skill level in the game). I’d hate to be winning and have 1 or 2 people lag out, and lose. Not that it really matters, as you rank up anyway though.
>
> Thanks again.

i ones joined a game the announcer was like 2 minutes remain i was WT heck and checked the score it was few kills away, i was happy though its like getting free xp… but overall it,s bad 343 need to come up with a way to control it not throw you in any game… just my thoughts U Welcome

> Great review.

Thanks!

> lots of good points there… you right about the true skill i find my opponents pretty good & i love it… the stuff i wanna see gone are promethium vision, joining match… lol about the 10 yr old COD jk… thanks for the honest review

Thanks again for the read!

Good honest review. Tend to agree with allot of your points.

I like most of your points, but like pretty much anybody, I don’t agree with all of it. Double XP wasn’t that bad I thought, and I’ve not used any Double XP at all yet. I’ll tell you what is a huge issue with me though, and that’s the removal of weapon sprees. I can’t honestly speak for any other weapon, but no Sniper Sprees make me a very unhappy camper.

> I like most of your points, but like pretty much anybody, I don’t agree with all of it. Double XP wasn’t that bad I thought, and I’ve not used any Double XP at all yet. I’ll tell you what is a huge issue with me though, and that’s the removal of weapon sprees. I can’t honestly speak for any other weapon, but no Sniper Sprees make me a very unhappy camper.

Fair enough. I also didn’t notice the medal removal until someone brought it up. I noticed the perfection was removed, but I didn’t complain too much as I thought that was the only one. I agree with you on that.

Thanks again for the read!

Its all about the money but sadly not about the fan :wink:

> Good honest review. Tend to agree with allot of your points.

Thanks!

Adding my take on Kill Cams,and a couple others in little bit.