My external hard drive fried today

I was playing a game this morning and I got kicked out right in the middle of a session. After trying to figure out what happened for a minute or two, I noticed that my Seagate external HD wasn’t lit up anymore. I tried a few things to get it working again, but it seems like it’s not going to work anymore. I’ve lost a few things, like my Skyrim saved games, but what I’m mainly concerned about is this: I won’t have enough space for another Xbox One game without uninstalling another one (they take up so much space!)

So it seems like anytime I want to install a new game, I’ll have to uninstall something else and reinstall said game later when I want to play it again. And we all know how long that takes… I could get a new external HD, but I’m pretty wary about that. This Seagate one I had, it could hold 2 TB of data and cost about $90. I had it for less than a year (bought it August 2017.) I’m not too keen on dumping another $90 just for a bit of extra space that might end up getting lost anyway.

Does anyone have any recommendations? A different, more reliable HD I could use, or some other solution?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Ok, seriously though, are you sure the connecting wire didn’t just come loose? You should probably contact Seagate or check their website for support. And I think your game data saves to the cloud unless that is full or it doesn’t work for external storage.

What specifically have you tried to get it working again? Sometimes reformatting can fix a corruption issue on the drive. If the Xbox isn’t recognizing it anymore as a device, try plugging it into a Windows 10 PC. See if you can erase the drive there.

I’ve used a few 1-2 TB drives. Western Digital, Toshiba, Seagate. I had a 500 GB Seagate drive that lasted me like 4-5 years. I’ve also currently got a 2 TB Seagate that has lasted over 1 year and is still good. So I’m surprised that your 2 TB one didn’t even last 1 year. When it comes to tech, you really have to do your research. Read customer reviews, look online for the “best” external drives on the market, check warranties (you may still be under warranty for your Seagate).

> 2535448756095908;2:
> Have you tried turning it off and on again?
>
> Ok, seriously though, are you sure the connecting wire didn’t just come loose? You should probably contact Seagate or check their website for support. And I think your game data saves to the cloud unless that is full or it doesn’t work for external storage.

I’m hoping to contact Seagate as soon as I can. Trouble is, it seems like I can only contact them by calling them. That’s an issue because the phone towers where I live must be having some serious problems; no one in my house has had any bars for a few days now.

> 2533274817408735;3:
> What specifically have you tried to get it working again? Sometimes reformatting can fix a corruption issue on the drive. If the Xbox isn’t recognizing it anymore as a device, try plugging it into a Windows 10 PC. See if you can erase the drive there.
>
> I’ve used a few 1-2 TB drives. Western Digital, Toshiba, Seagate. I had a 500 GB Seagate drive that lasted me like 4-5 years. I’ve also currently got a 2 TB Seagate that has lasted over 1 year and is still good. So I’m surprised that your 2 TB one didn’t even last 1 year. When it comes to tech, you really have to do your research. Read customer reviews, look online for the “best” external drives on the market, check warranties (you may still be under warranty for your Seagate).

I’m not sure if I have a warranty for it or not. I’ve tried unplugging it and my Xbox for a few minutes, then plugging them back in. Still nothing. I’ve tried plugging into my computer (Windows 8.1) and still nothing. The strange part is that, even though it doesn’t light up, I can still hear and feel the HD “buzzing” whenever I plug it into something.

Have you tried different cables?

> 2533274978553590;4:
> I’m not sure if I have a warranty for it or not. I’ve tried unplugging it and my Xbox for a few minutes, then plugging them back in. Still nothing. I’ve tried plugging into my computer (Windows 8.1) and still nothing. The strange part is that, even though it doesn’t light up, I can still hear and feel the HD “buzzing” whenever I plug it into something.

If your Windows PC isn’t detecting it, but you can hear the HD spinning when plugged in, that sounds like the kind of issue that would usually require professional data recovery people to handle. Your HD might be kicked. Unless you go the drive as a gift, you should know if it came with a warranty. Hopefully you were smart and kept the box and manual, as that usually has the warranty info. If you ordered through Amazon, you could also try leaving a review or trying to reach Seagate through Amazon. Or, check your warranty on Seagate’s website (you’ll need the serial number and model number of your disk).

If it’s less than a year old and appears to be failing, contact the retailer you purchased the drive from. You could go directly to Seagate, but you’re 100% better reaching out to the retailer first as that’s who your purchase contract is with (unless you bought directly from Seagate themselves)