My concerns with Halo 5: Hit marks and 3rd person

I’m really looking forward to Halo 5. There’s so much I’m excited about but unfortunately, from the gameplay I’ve seen, I have two rather large potential problems, though they may sound small. These aren’t gameplay problems, but UI and camera problems.

First of all, the little hit markers which pulse from the reticle every single time a target is hit. It is extremely annoying and, more importantly, distracting. Will we have the option to turn the pulsing hit markers off entirely? Especially with automatics, it’s terribly grating.

Secondly, the jarring switch to 3rd person when using Spartan charge and Ground Pound. Going from 1st person to 3rd when mounting a turret or entering a vehicle is fine, because you’re not generally quickly going back and forth in and out of that vehicle on a second-by-second basis. Spartan charge and Ground Pound, though (especially Spartan charge), last for only a moment, making the switch, again, annoying and distracting. These abilities would be a lot smoother and a lot more fun, I think, if we could just use them in 1st person instead of this unnecessary camera transition.

With vehicles, going to 3rd person allows us to see more space and better steer through and around obstacles, but Spartan charge is only as quick as a melee attack (there’s no need or time to make adjustments around obstacles which you wouldn’t have seen otherwise) and the camera follows the direction you’re facing while charging Ground Pound anyway, so it’s not as if that 3rd person view gives you a benefit of looking around at things to avoid which you wouldn’t have seen in 1st person… all you’re looking at and all you need to see is the target area on the ground. The fleeting back-and-forth between camera views is disorienting. Will we have the option to remain in 1st person for all Spartan abilities? The Halo 5 thruster pack allow us to remain in 1st person, which I thought was a huge improvement over Halo 4’s thruster ability.

I’m really looking forward to the gameplay of Halo 5, but these two things (the reticle hit markers and jarring camera view switches) take away from the action in a big way. Can we have please have a menu option to change them?

I agree. Customizing reticles/hitmarkers, or at least scrolling through some presets to find one you like best, would be nice.

Having different varieties and presets for them could be nice, but I’d be more than happy with just the simple option to turn the hit markers off.

99% of the time I can easily tell if I’m hitting the target I’m firing a weapon at. The only time that’s relevant information is with grenades thrown over a wall or around a corner, but Halo 5 has them pulsing and jittering all over the center of the screen nearly the entire time a firefight’s going on, when I’m trying to look at my target and not a barrage of UI dots.

It’s just the most distracting kind of clutter.

I actually like the hitmarkers and the 3rd person spartan abilities. However, putting toggles for the hitmarkers wouldn’t be a bad idea, but I doubt they’d change the 3rd person spartan abilities.

Agree with the OP, Reaaaaaaally don’t find hitmarkers necessary in halo, you can tell when you have hit your target from shield flare and they are just a little annoying to look at

> 2533274884722193;1:
> I’m really looking forward to Halo 5. There’s so much I’m excited about but unfortunately, from the gameplay I’ve seen, I have two rather large potential problems, though they may sound small. These aren’t gameplay problems, but UI and camera problems.
>
> First of all, the little hit markers which pulse from the reticle every single time a target is hit. It is extremely annoying and, more importantly, distracting. Will we have the option to turn the pulsing hit markers off entirely? Especially with automatics, it’s terribly grating.
>
> Secondly, the jarring switch to 3rd person when using Spartan charge and Ground Pound. Going from 1st person to 3rd when mounting a turret or entering a vehicle is fine, because you’re not generally quickly going back and forth in and out of that vehicle on a second-by-second basis. Spartan charge and Ground Pound, though (especially Spartan charge), last for only a moment, making the switch, again, annoying and distracting. These abilities would be a lot smoother and a lot more fun, I think, if we could just use them in 1st person instead of this unnecessary camera transition.
>
> With vehicles, going to 3rd person allows us to see more space and better steer through and around obstacles, but Spartan charge is only as quick as a melee attack (there’s no need or time to make adjustments around obstacles which you wouldn’t have seen otherwise) and the camera follows the direction you’re facing while charging Ground Pound anyway, so it’s not as if that 3rd person view gives you a benefit of looking around at things to avoid which you wouldn’t have seen in 1st person… all you’re looking at and all you need to see is the target area on the ground. The fleeting back-and-forth between camera views is disorienting. Will we have the option to remain in 1st person for all Spartan abilities? The Halo 5 thruster pack allow us to remain in 1st person, which I thought was a huge improvement over Halo 4’s thruster ability.
>
> I’m really looking forward to the gameplay of Halo 5, but these two things (the reticle hit markers and jarring camera view switches) take away from the action in a big way. Can we have please have a menu option to change them?

While I agree the hit marker sounds are a bit strange. the 3rd person thing, as far as I can tell, is actually a purposeful nerf of the abilities. If you stay in 1st person mode, your awareness is unaffected, the jarring transition from 3rd to 1st is done on purpose to punish you for relying on the very powerful attack. It is meant to disorient you in some way to discourage the use of it in tactically unsound situations.

Perhaps the reason they did 3rd person with spartan charge was because a first person version might look too similar to the action of a forward thrust, which could cause confusion. Or maybe there were other such scenarios that could be confusing in FP so that occurred often enough that they simply took the safe route and made it 3rd person. They obviously spend a lot of time testing this things so I’m sure they have their reasons for it.

IMO anything UI based should have a toggle, that way everyone can be happy

[deleted]

I understand that the constant perspective switching is a little annoying, hitmarkers however really don’t bother me, also the red hit-marker you get when you kill someone is a good idea.

> 2533274912254619;7:
> Perhaps the reason they did 3rd person with spartan charge was because a first person version might look too similar to the action of a forward thrust, which could cause confusion. Or maybe there were other such scenarios that could be confusing in FP so that occurred often enough that they simply took the safe route and made it 3rd person. They obviously spend a lot of time testing this things so I’m sure they have their reasons for it.

Certainly, I know they test these things very thoroughly, but I don’t think the reason was to avoid confusion. Spartan charge has a melee-like animation to it where your Spartan heaves their weapon into the wall/enemy, so I don’t think a big melee attack would get confused with a thruster boost. I of course don’t know their actual reasons behind the decision to use 3rd person, but it seems to be because it’s more spectacular to look at. Which isn’t a bad thing; I don’t want the 3rd person charge/ground pound taken out, just an option to keep it in 1st person the same as thruster packs.

> 2533274919112311;9:
> You need third person because it gives you visual awareness if you hit somebody.

I could see that possibly being the case for ground pound (looking around mid-air to spot new targets which might be just outside of 1st person view and tracking their direction), but there’s no need for 3rd person spartan charge any more than there’s need for 3rd person melee attacks. That’s all spartan charge is, really: a big melee attack.

Also with ground pound your view zooms immediately toward your helmet once you hit the ground, so there’s little to no visual confirmation that you hit someone with it until you’re back in that view anyway.