My concerns about Infinite's maps

So far Infinite seems like a big step up in terms of map design. The maps in the beta generally all played really well, and aesthetically 343 are as close as they’ve ever been to capturing the classic art style. They also have much better variety than maps in 4 and 5.

I still have a couple of concerns though. The first is that Behemoth is still the only arena map with a forerunner setting. The one other seemingly complete arena map that was leaked is another human map, so it seems unlikely we’ll see another forerunner map at launch. It feels like a big missed opportunity that we’ll have to wait for this game’s Lockout/Guardian.

Thankfully, of the leaked maps in block-out stage, quite a few of them seem to heavily feature forerunner style geometry, so we can be hopeful for DLC to scratch that itch.

I’m also a bit peeved that CTF is apparently unsupported on Streets. I get that it’s hard to make multi flag work on asymmetrical maps (has there ever been a map in Halo that made this work for matchmaking?), but it seems like Bazaar may the only non vehicular arena map to support it, unless the aforementioned leaked map does. I hope there are a few others, because Halo 3 had at least 3 of them at launch iirc (The Pit, Narrows, Isolation)

What are your current worries about maps?

I’m not sure how many people will remember 4v4 Guardian 1 Flag in the Team Objective playlist, but it was not good. Blackout 1 Flag in doubles wasn’t for me, but it was a little more fun. Overall I think it’s better to just sack off any type of flag on the asymmetric maps.

It’s hard enough for them to balance the spawns at the start, let alone with an objective. One team would probably always be at a disadvantage. In Guardian, spawning elbow is significantly better than spawning blue in Team Slayer.

Both Bazaar and Behemoth will be big CTF maps so we already have two. I’m sure there will be at least one more.

With what iv’e seen, I’m not worried about maps as they have done such a good job, especially with sight lines. We have only seen a small selection of the mp maps, and no doubt as the seasons go by, more maps will be added.
With Infinite’s dynamics, it’s really hard to do maps from before, especially when you take into account grapple, at least we get forge so no doubt new map variants will be available, same as ctf on streets. After playing the flights, I’m really happy with having good, well thought out maps.
My only gripe would probably be new mombassa, whilst it’s a good nod to the past, would be nice to see other urban maps like London from the season 1 trailer, that looks like it could make a pretty good map. As long as the maps are as good as what we have seen so far I’m happy

> 2533274801036271;2:
> I’m not sure how many people will remember 4v4 Guardian 1 Flag in the Team Objective playlist, but it was not good. Blackout 1 Flag in doubles wasn’t for me, but it was a little more fun. Overall I think it’s better to just sack off any type of flag on the asymmetric maps.
>
> It’s hard enough for them to balance the spawns at the start, let alone with an objective. One team would probably always be at a disadvantage. In Guardian, spawning elbow is significantly better than spawning blue in Team Slayer.
>
> Both Bazaar and Behemoth will be big CTF maps so we already have two. I’m sure there will be at least one more.

I think a vaguely remember one flag on Guardian. Don’t get me wrong, I completely understand how difficult it is to design asymmetrical maps to support multiflag. In fact I really appreciate asymmetrical maps in general, it’s just a little disappointing for me that we don’t have more CTF friendly maps beyond the two we already know of. It also doesn’t help that Streets itself looks like it has enough symmetry that they could have found away to make ctf work on it.

Yeah I’m a big fan of CTF too, actually hoping one of the next maps we see is a 5 flag map too, instead of only 3 flag maps.

I know they’re leaning pretty hard into Strongholds, I just hope we get a good weighting on CTF in both normal matchmaking and competitive.

Don’t get me wrong though, I’m really happy with the 5 arena maps we have seen so far. I hope at least 1 other is symmetrical 3 flag and one other is symmetrical 5 flag. Then if there are any more, they can be whatever they like. I’m sure we will get a bunch more maps that support our favourite gametypes too over the course of the year.