My brother complains the "Old Halos" are too slow

My 9 year old brother enjoys watching me play Halo 5. I had given him my controller a couple of times and let him play for a couple of lives. So I asked him if he wanted to play with me. Since there is no split screen in Halo 5, we went and played MCC. He kept complaing to me about how slow the games felt. He hated that there was no sprint and how it took “forever” to get places. He hates Halo CE-Halo 3 and says that his favorite game is Halo 4 because it is more fast paced. He hates playing when we get anything other than 4. When I have tried to explain to him that the “Old Halos” are the best Halos and that they have always been more popular and favored by the community. He says he can’t understand why someone would enjoy a game so slow. I personally would prefer to play Halo 3 and would like for the next game to revert back to no sprint. Is this why 343 decided to make the game so fast paced? With the games coming out these days being more and more fast paced (Ex. Advanced Warfare, Black Ops 3) I wonder if Halo will ever go back to the days of no sprint.

Start up Halo 3 with 150% damage and 125% speed on Citadel. Then see if he says it’s too slow.

Sprint is unnecessary for making a game fast. Killtimes, spawntimes, map size, and movement speed are all contributing factors.

Will people finally realize this? Will 343I revert back to a no sprint Halo? Lolno.

I would have to agree with your little brother lol. The old Halos are rough to get through. They feel slow and cumbersome.

Halo could go back if the games without sprint, such as CS:GO, DOOM and Overwatch (I think?), have amazing sales records and population retention. CS:GO has already demonstrated this.

And plenty of people have stated this before, one extremely simple method of increasing the feeling of speed in a Halo game is to increase the Base Movement speed, and to increase the Field of View. Those alone have made the game play faster. In fact, OP, you should get your brother on again and increase the Base movement speed on Halo 2 or Halo CE and play a game on that. It should play really fast.

Unfortunately you can’t edit base speed for Halo Ce and I don’t believe you can for Halo 2 either. Most of those options were added in Halo 3.

> 2533274819302824;5:
> Unfortunately you can’t edit base speed for Halo Ce and I don’t believe you can for Halo 2 either. Most of those options were added in Halo 3.

Oh. In that case, OP, do what Ramir3z77 said, increase the BMS on Halo 3. I really wish you could do that in Halo 2 though, as Halo 2 had a wider Field of View, and, in my opinion, was faster paced than Halo 3.

Also, this is going to devolve into a Sprint debate where nobody wins, isn’t it?

Oh the sadness, lol. His reaction is probably a combo of 1) he’s a youngster and doesn’t know what he’s saying, 2) he’s unfortunately missed out on the epic times of the past, and 3) It’s the youth that determines what’s “cool” or what’s “the thing.” Eventually, all these “halo vets” will be old adults, and kids will be playing whatever they want to, not what their parents do

> 2533274915643658;6:
> > 2533274819302824;5:
> > Unfortunately you can’t edit base speed for Halo Ce and I don’t believe you can for Halo 2 either. Most of those options were added in Halo 3.
>
>
> Oh. In that case, OP, do what Ramir3z77 said, increase the BMS on Halo 3. I really wish you could do that in Halo 2 though, as Halo 2 had a wider Field of View, and, in my opinion, was faster paced than Halo 3.

But OP is presumably talking about matchmaking and/or campaign, which you cannot edit BMS. Even in halo 3 lol.

> 2533274803493024;8:
> > 2533274915643658;6:
> > > 2533274819302824;5:
> > > Unfortunately you can’t edit base speed for Halo Ce and I don’t believe you can for Halo 2 either. Most of those options were added in Halo 3.
> >
> >
> > Oh. In that case, OP, do what Ramir3z77 said, increase the BMS on Halo 3. I really wish you could do that in Halo 2 though, as Halo 2 had a wider Field of View, and, in my opinion, was faster paced than Halo 3.
>
>
> But OP is presumably talking about matchmaking and/or campaign, which you cannot edit BMS. Even in halo 3 lol.

Well, I was talking about Custom Games. When I said “increase the BMS”, I’m pretty sure anybody would understand me as talking about Customs. But whatever. lol.

It isn’t quickly-paced, for sure, but the old Halos are still great.

I feel like I have more to say on the matter but I forgot entirely.

I remember when people referred to new shooters as “the next Halo killer.” Now we have kids barley able to communicate complaining about speed. Halo is built for comfort not speed kid.

I’m going to have to agree with Galactica and your younger brother here. Look at every FPS these days.

What do they all have in common? Speed. Whether it’s got sprint like CoD or not like Doom they are all about being incredibly fast and mobile. It’s the new trend just like how WWII shooters were the thing back in the day and science shooters were the go to genre a few years ago, and still are in most cases.

What do the older Halo games have? You’re faster than the marines. That’s it.

I don’t care what the other vets may say, a Halo game that truly goes back to Halo’s roots would die out in months, maybe even quicker than Halo 4. CS: GO isn’t Halo, they’re two very different communities and games.

Ok? Good for him.

The CONSISTENT speed across other halo games means your movement had to be more purposeful and deliberate, and placed more emphasis on actual SHOOTING and movement.

The Halo 5 movement system changes the dimensions of what halo has been. In my opinion, it’s for the worse. 343 has catered the map design around their awful movement mechanics of Spartan charge and ground pound.

The Halo series has been a premiere First Person Shooter. Halo 5 has taken us down a different path that is not for the better IMO.

> 2533274883849234;12:
> I’m going to have to agree with Galactica and your younger brother here. Look at every FPS these days.
>
> What do they all have in common? Speed. Whether it’s got sprint like CoD or not like Doom they are all about being incredibly fast and mobile. It’s the new trend just like how WWII shooters were the thing back in the day and science shooters were the go to genre a few years ago, and still are in most cases.
>
> What do the older Halo games have? You’re faster than the marines. That’s it.
>
> I don’t care what the other vets may say, a Halo game that truly goes back to Halo’s roots would die out in months, maybe even quicker than Halo 4. CS: GO isn’t Halo, they’re two very different communities and games.

UT3 is a game that I feel can be compared to Halo 3. UT3 managed to feel fast AF without any sprint.

> 2533274883849234;12:
> I’m going to have to agree with Galactica and your younger brother here. Look at every FPS these days.
>
> What do they all have in common? Speed. Whether it’s got sprint like CoD or not like Doom they are all about being incredibly fast and mobile. It’s the new trend just like how WWII shooters were the thing back in the day and science shooters were the go to genre a few years ago, and still are in most cases.
>
>
> I don’t care what the other vets may say, a Halo game that truly goes back to Halo’s roots would die out in months, maybe even quicker than Halo 4. CS: GO isn’t Halo, they’re two very different communities and games.

That’s your (incorrect) opinion.

not everyone wants to play a COD clone. The FPS genre is dying slowly because of the constant merging of characteristics. Look at the numbers. Also, think about the competition.

compare Halo 3 vs Modern Warfare.

Now, compare Halo 5 vs Black Ops 3.

note the similarities in these comparisons. See which has exponentially more.

> 2533274883849234;12:
>
>
>

You want to know what else they have in common? Franchise fatigue, and people criticizing about copy pasting mechanics from one game to another. A game that goes against trends could potentially pan out very well. We have seen, with CS:GO (yes, I’m still going to use CS:GO as my example, because every other game wants to do what COD and Destiny are doing), that a game that stays consistent with its previous entries and has relatively simple, yet deep mechanics, tend to sell well and retain large amounts of people playing the game. Granted, CS:GO is $15, but that is besides the point.

And, as has been stated countless times, the feeling of speed can be achieved without sprint. BMS buffs, FOV increases, etc.

> 2533274915643658;16:
> > 2533274883849234;12:
> > I’m going to have to agree with Galactica and your younger brother here. Look at every FPS these days.
> >
> > What do they all have in common? Speed. Whether it’s got sprint like CoD or not like Doom they are all about being incredibly fast and mobile. It’s the new trend just like how WWII shooters were the thing back in the day and science shooters were the go to genre a few years ago, and still are in most cases.
> >
> > What do the older Halo games have? You’re faster than the marines. That’s it.
> >
> > I don’t care what the other vets may say, a Halo game that truly goes back to Halo’s roots would die out in months, maybe even quicker than Halo 4. CS: GO isn’t Halo, they’re two very different communities and games.
>
>
> You want to know what else they have in common? Franchise fatigue, and people criticizing about copy pasting mechanics from one game to another. A game that goes against trends could potentially pan out very well. We have seen, with CS:GO (yes, I’m still going to use CS:GO as my example, because every other game wants to do what COD and Destiny are doing), that a game that stays consistent with its previous entries and has relatively simple, yet deep mechanics, tend to sell well and retain large amounts of people playing the game. Granted, CS:GO is $15, but that is besides the point.
>
> And, as has been stated countless times, the feeling of speed can be achieved without sprint. BMS buffs, FOV increases, etc.

This guy gets it!

I’llbe honest here and admit that, although I’m a certified halo vet,(I was 22 when CE first released) I can’t play the old halos anymore. I’ve recently tried to go back and play reach, which was my favorite, and just can’t do it without the spartan abilities. I catch myself trying to boost out of the line of fire or running up to shoulder check an elite (epic fail) and yes, it felt wayyy too slow.

> 2533274808210415;14:
> > 2533274883849234;12:
> > I’m going to have to agree with Galactica and your younger brother here. Look at every FPS these days.
> >
> > What do they all have in common? Speed. Whether it’s got sprint like CoD or not like Doom they are all about being incredibly fast and mobile. It’s the new trend just like how WWII shooters were the thing back in the day and science shooters were the go to genre a few years ago, and still are in most cases.
> >
> > What do the older Halo games have? You’re faster than the marines. That’s it.
> >
> > I don’t care what the other vets may say, a Halo game that truly goes back to Halo’s roots would die out in months, maybe even quicker than Halo 4. CS: GO isn’t Halo, they’re two very different communities and games.
>
>
> UT3 is a game that I feel can be compared to Halo 3. UT3 managed to feel fast AF without any sprint.

> 2533274915643658;16:
> > 2533274883849234;12:
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> You want to know what else they have in common? Franchise fatigue, and people criticizing about copy pasting mechanics from one game to another. A game that goes against trends could potentially pan out very well. We have seen, with CS:GO (yes, I’m still going to use CS:GO as my example, because every other game wants to do what COD and Destiny are doing), that a game that stays consistent with its previous entries and has relatively simple, yet deep mechanics, tend to sell well and retain large amounts of people playing the game. Granted, CS:GO is $15, but that is besides the point.
>
> And, as has been stated countless times, the feeling of speed can be achieved without sprint. BMS buffs, FOV increases, etc.

As I said, a video game doesn’t have to have sprint to be fast, which is why I mentioned Doom. But, the old Halo games are not fast now, are they? No, they are slow. Go play a game of Halo 5 then go and play a game of Halo 3. You’ll find yourself feeling extremely slow and cumbersome in Halo 3 when compared to Halo 5. Will something like that succeed in today’s market? Hell no, with CS:GO being the obvious exception.

> 2696128169788667;15:
> > 2533274883849234;12:
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> That’s your (incorrect) opinion.
>
> not everyone wants to play a COD clone. The FPS genre is dying slowly because of the constant merging of characteristics. Look at the numbers. Also, think about the competition.
>
> compare Halo 3 vs Modern Warfare.
>
> Now, compare Halo 5 vs Black Ops 3.
>
> note the similarities in these comparisons. See which has exponentially more.

Not even going to bother with someone who doesn’t respect opinions.

<mark>Do not post discriminatory comments.</mark>

He must be “too slow” then.