Multiplayer Total Letdown

I agree with the many people who have posted about the disappointing multiplayer. It doesn’t feel like a Halo game at all in terms of quality. It actually reminds me of a crappy Quake demo I tried years ago. Thought I was just tired yesterday when I tried it for a bit. It was a little better today but it just isn’t good. I’ll list all of things that seem subpar and then let the flaming begin.

  1. Above all else, the gameplay is worse. All previous Halo games the Spartan felt is if it had some mass or gravity to it. The animation and physics were superbly done. Halo 4 feels like floaty sprites and the physics seem so dumbed down from the spartans to the vehicles and good Lord the grenades. A lefty fastball that ends up who knows where. I am not sure if the game engine IP stayed with Bungie or what but it does feel more like CoD or some other shooter. The aiming, firing, and hit detection just don’t seem as tight.

  2. The game sound is very weak. The guns sound weak as do the kills, vehicles, explosions etc.

  3. The graphics do not seem improved to me. They seem worse, almost cartoon stencil. The maps and Spartans look all pastel colored and dull to me.

  4. The explosions of vehicles are weak as are the grenades and death sequences.

I will let the CoD changes go for now. I don’t like them but could live with them if the gameplay/physics were on par with the previous Halo games. I even went back to Reach right after to make sure I wasn’t imagining all this and I surely wasn’t. Many people didn’t like reach for the jetpack, armor etc. which I can understand but it still played and felt like a Halo game. I don’t know what this feels like beyond a generic shooter.

Note to 343 and any future Halo game maker: Do not add elements of CoD to try to gain popularity. You will not convert CoD players to Halo players by doing this, you will only alienate Halo players or give them a reason to just play CoD. I understand that CoD may have a more numerous online population but it doesn’t mean it’s better. Many people may like a dumbed down run and gun, first see first kill game and that’s fine but Halo was so much more refined and played so much better. Even if there are 1 million Halo players and 3 million CoD players and the business rationale is to try to capture more market share, making the game more CoD like will backfire and only drive the 1 million down to 500K for Halo versus steal 1 million from CoD. There are only 400,000 players online in day 2 of launch. Previous Halo games had 1.5 million or near a million. That is not a good sign because undoubtedly some people will switch to CoD next week.

Stick to your niche and current fan base and everything would be fine. Doesn’t mean you cannot innovate or try new things. Just don’t try and follow another games formula to appeal to the masses…….Halo was ahead of the curve……now it sits right on it………….

  1. its actually good.

  2. sound is actually pretty great

  3. graphics are WAY improved

  4. explosion damage is fine

+1. Literally how I feel about it, plus a little more. Even the cartoony part. And GOD THE BLOOM IS RIDICULOUS.

you used quake and crappy in the same sentence; the whole wall of text you wrote is invalid.

> I agree with the many people who have posted about the disappointing multiplayer. It doesn’t feel like a Halo game at all in terms of quality. It actually reminds me of a crappy Quake demo I tried years ago. Thought I was just tired yesterday when I tried it for a bit. It was a little better today but it just isn’t good. I’ll list all of things that seem subpar and then let the flaming begin.
>
> 1. Above all else, the gameplay is worse. All previous Halo games the Spartan felt is if it had some mass or gravity to it. The animation and physics were superbly done. Halo 4 feels like floaty sprites and the physics seem so dumbed down from the spartans to the vehicles and good Lord the grenades. A lefty fastball that ends up who knows where. I am not sure if the game engine IP stayed with Bungie or what but it does feel more like CoD or some other shooter. The aiming, firing, and hit detection just don’t seem as tight.
>
> <mark>2. The game sound is very weak. The guns sound weak as do the kills, vehicles, explosions etc.</mark>
>
> 3. The graphics do not seem improved to me. They seem worse, almost cartoon stencil. The maps and Spartans look all pastel colored and dull to me.
>
> 4. The explosions of vehicles are weak as are the grenades and death sequences.
>
>
> I will let the CoD changes go for now. I don’t like them but could live with them if the gameplay/physics were on par with the previous Halo games. I even went back to Reach right after to make sure I wasn’t imagining all this and I surely wasn’t. Many people didn’t like reach for the jetpack, armor etc. which I can understand but it still played and felt like a Halo game. I don’t know what this feels like beyond a generic shooter.
>
> Note to 343 and any future Halo game maker: Do not add elements of CoD to try to gain popularity. You will not convert CoD players to Halo players by doing this, you will only alienate Halo players or give them a reason to just play CoD. I understand that CoD may have a more numerous online population but it doesn’t mean it’s better. Many people may like a dumbed down run and gun, first see first kill game and that’s fine but Halo was so much more refined and played so much better. Even if there are 1 million Halo players and 3 million CoD players and the business rationale is to try to capture more market share, making the game more CoD like will backfire and only drive the 1 million down to 500K for Halo versus steal 1 million from CoD. There are only 400,000 players online in day 2 of launch. Previous Halo games had 1.5 million or near a million. That is not a good sign because undoubtedly some people will switch to CoD next week.
>
> Stick to your niche and current fan base and everything would be fine. Doesn’t mean you cannot innovate or try new things. Just don’t try and follow another games formula to appeal to the masses…….Halo was ahead of the curve……now it sits right on it………….

@ underline what are you talking about? @ highlight stop reading after that. It’s kind of a joke. the guns sound weak? Wow, this thread is just…I’m out.

I disagree. This actually feels like a Halo game. Reach was far from it. I fell in love with this multiplayer the second I started it.

the sounds are very weak to say, compared to reach and what it had very good sound quality hell i didn’t even need headphones to hear people now its even quieter to where i need top of the line headsets to even hear someone right beside me.

Honestly, the only part of the vehicle thing I can agree with you on is the warthog. It sounds like a go cart. If you count the forge robot thing as a vehicle, I think it sounds too human.

I disagree with the rest. I think the multiplayer has improved.

are people seriously saying that it sounds weak? all else aside the sounds in this game are much better than ALL other installments.

This game outdoes all other halos and is right at the same level as CE. Only because Ce revolutionized the console shooter

Anyone that says Halo 4 doesn’t have good sound is either trolling or have a crappy tube television. I almost went deaf yesterday playing this game on my Turtle Beach headset. The sound is great.

I thought I was playing MW4 when I played infinity slayer (reminds me of infinity ward). Honestly this game is a cod rip off and is nothing like Halo at all. You can’t say it doesn’t play like cod because they took A LOT of feature that it has; the scoring, ordinance drops, sprinting no longer an AA, load outs and perks.

343 sold out on us and there is no denying that. They just wanted the game to be like cod so it would sell like cod.

When I say sound, I mean the sound effects are weak……not that I can’t hear the sound. The gun fire of the assault rifle etc sound “weak” as in weak sauce……it’s not the TV because I use a surround sound system……

The kill sound effects are weak in my opinion as well. Thought they were hilarious and awesome on previous games.

I can live with the sound because the previous games were outstanding and well above the competition. I can live with the sound, but not the gameplay. If people like it, great, enjoy. I just don’t and that’s fine too but it’s 65 bucks of disappointment. I played every Halo and CoD that has come out but in the past 2 years I got so sick of CoD that I went back to Reach because I liked it better and felt CoD multiplayer was crap. I did like CoD 3 multi back in the day.

I am just disappointed in Halo 4 and if Bungie still made it and the product turned out like this, more people would be flaming them.

Didn’t read the whole thing. But from what I read I agree with it.

My only complaint is that the grenades seem a bit strong. I played against someone who was using the blast radius perk and it was pretty over powered.

I too was afraid of COD in space but after playing it, its really not I think it plays WAY more like a “HALO” game than Reach did sure its not halo 2 or 3 and maybe I’m just happy coming from reach but I don’t think it sounds or plays bad.

The human guns do sound tin-ish/squeaky and the warthog oh my! but other than that I think the rest of the sounds are generally improved.

And I will agree (I’m glad I’m not alone) Stick with halo, make improvements and changes as feed back comes in but don’t copy other games. Sprint is cool, after playing halo 2 and reading the books I always wondered y in the game you couldn’t run, but who the F*&% said halo needed kill cams and points and stuff?

Game is great.

Nothing to see here, move on.

> My only complaint is that the grenades seem a bit strong. I played against someone who was using the blast radius perk and it was pretty over powered.

With out blast radius grenades are almost useless.

Halo 4’s engine is a heavily modified version of the one used in Reach. The Reach engine is a modified version of the Havok Engine.

I think the multiplayer is the best since Halo 2. However, I DO NOT like that they got rid of playlists that had different game modes in them. I want to play Big Team CTF, bomb (even though it’s not in the game), I like options.

> I will let the CoD changes go for now. I don’t like them but could live with them if the gameplay/physics were on par with the previous Halo games. I even went back to Reach right after to make sure I wasn’t imagining all this and I surely wasn’t. Many people didn’t like reach for the jetpack, armor etc. which I can understand but it still played and felt like a Halo game. I don’t know what this feels like beyond a generic shooter.
>
> Note to 343 and any future Halo game maker: Do not add elements of CoD to try to gain popularity. You will not convert CoD players to Halo players by doing this, you will only alienate Halo players or give them a reason to just play CoD. I understand that CoD may have a more numerous online population but it doesn’t mean it’s better. Many people may like a dumbed down run and gun, first see first kill game and that’s fine but Halo was so much more refined and played so much better. Even if there are 1 million Halo players and 3 million CoD players and the business rationale is to try to capture more market share, making the game more CoD like will backfire and only drive the 1 million down to 500K for Halo versus steal 1 million from CoD. There are only 400,000 players online in day 2 of launch. Previous Halo games had 1.5 million or near a million. That is not a good sign because undoubtedly some people will switch to CoD next week.
>
> Stick to your niche and current fan base and everything would be fine. Doesn’t mean you cannot innovate or try new things. Just don’t try and follow another games formula to appeal to the masses…….Halo was ahead of the curve……now it sits right on it………….

First off, COD has not created any new gameplay elements, more so they just ripped off gameplay elements from other games. Take as an example Health Regen. COD ripped off Health Regen from Halo (funny, isn’t it?).

Second, I don’t think you’ve played a COD game before. I used to be a regular COD player about 3 years ago, so I know how a COD game should feel like. And this game does not play anything like COD.

“Dumbed down run and gun”

Oh really? I didn’t know adding new features means DUMBING DOWN A GAME! I don’t know whether you’re serious or trolling.

Also, the only reason why there’s less players online is because 343 chose a bad release date, because November is when most of the games come out. Had they released Halo 4 in September, or December, they would be more players online. But that’s not the point. The point is is that Halo plays nothing like CoD. Yeah, there are perks, but does COD have any active armor abilities? Does COD have energy shields? Does COD have armor customization? Does COD not have to aim down sights?

I am also sick and tired of everyone comparing Halo to COD. Especially since the fact everyone thinks COD creates everything. Face it - COD has not even come up with a single damn original thing. The only thing they’ve done was copy gameplay elements from other games. At this rate, the day we stop comparing Halo to CoD is the day that Hell freezes over.