Multiplayer, Halo 4 vs Halo 3

I know this is a very controversial topic, but I was just wondering what you guys thought about this. I’m actually going to say that I enjoy Halo 4’s multiplayer over Halo 3’s, it just feels more natural and balanced.

I hate DMR dominance but I still think Halo 4s multiplayer is better. At least the BTB is.

I was just about to make a thread about how I want my Halo 3 multiplayer back. I’ll just put it here, and link to my similar thread on the 343 forums:

> I loved Halo multiplayer; starting with Halo:CE, then Halo 2 on XBL, then Halo 3. Obviously I was incredibly excited for Halo 4 to come out; only to find that my beloved multiplayer had morphed into another Call of Duty clone (As if there weren’t enough of those in the COD franchise already). I think you made a mistake to go in this direction, and so does everyone that I have spoken with. (The unanimous agreement has been that we would rather play Halo 3 multiplayer, if only more people were in the matchmaking).
>
> Please, Please, Please make all of us old-school halo fans happy by releasing an old-school playlist that closer reflects the style and pace of the multiplayer in previous titles. Force starting weapons to the AR/plasma pistol; weapons / equipment spawn on maps the way they used to; turn off all ordnance. Put these changes into a playlist or two (Oldschool Slayer, big Team Oldschool, Oldschool Skirmish), and I think that they would be instantly popular.

http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/17638-i-want-my-halo-multiplayer-back/

What’s going to happen when those playlist’s won’t be as intensely popular as you would think? Cry in a corner? I enjoyed Halo1-3 at THAT TIME. This isn’t 2001 anymore. People want different things. Obviously they thought long and hopefully hard about the changes they’ve made. Seeing how some of the 343i staff used to be apart of Bungie.

Halo 4’s multiplayer is different, that’s the biggest thing. It’s far more complex than any other Halo game, and definitely far more complex than most FPS’s these days.

I too wish there were some Halo 3-like playlists with static weapon spawns, ONE loadout and NO game breaking ordinance drops, kill cams or armour abilities/perks (and instant spawn, for that matter). Also, a true skill system for said playlists would be a major pull factor. Alas, from what I have experienced so far, I can’t see much of a competitive future for Halo 4, as nearly all of the maps are centered around the game’s casual nature and are severely imbalanced. While some may counter that competitive maps can be forged, it has been my experience that the forge controls (specifically the LB and RB to move objects up and down) are inadequate for the task, lead to frustration and hinder the entire forging experience(if someone has a workaround for this, please let me know). I haven’t lost hope in the game quite yet, but if 343i or MLG can’t work out something viable that was more fun than Reach, the only Halo I plan on playing in the future will be Halo 3, even if its dwindling population only supports social slayer.

Halo 3 was just a legendary game. When you got on halo 3 you were taking part in a community and you felt it.

Everybody was part of the competitive scene back then. There was no talk of casuals because everyone competed within their rank and tried their best.

Custom games were booming back then. I remember spending hours upon hours playing MLG customs, or infection, cat and mouse, Storm Normandy and more.

Machinima was also very successful with halo 3

Forge was more innovative. Amazing maps were created with limited resources.

Halo 4 is great but it lacks that community aspect. I cant even blame the game anymore. I think the people who play now just dont play the same way. Most of the time people dont even use mics to communicate.

Halo 4 has a lot of growing up to do but it has potential (Unlike Reach).

I personally think they should add a couple of playlists that please the fans of the older style gameplay, what’s wrong with pleasing both sides of the fanbase? Tough to say which I prefer, 4 would be the obvious choice if they some classic playlists.

> I too wish there were some Halo 3-like playlists with static weapon spawns, ONE loadout and NO game breaking ordinance drops, kill cams or armour abilities/perks (and instant spawn, for that matter). Also, a true skill system for said playlists would be a major pull factor. Alas, from what I have experienced so far, I can’t see much of a competitive future for Halo 4, as nearly all of the maps are centered around the game’s casual nature and are severely imbalanced. While some may counter that competitive maps can be forged, it has been my experience that the forge controls (specifically the LB and RB to move objects up and down) are inadequate for the task, lead to frustration and hinder the entire forging experience(if someone has a workaround for this, please let me know). I haven’t lost hope in the game quite yet, but if 343i or MLG can’t work out something viable that was more fun than Reach, the only Halo I plan on playing in the future will be Halo 3, even if its dwindling population only supports social slayer.

I agree with you. The ordinance drops are a joke and when a weapon does spawn on the map it vanishes after seconds. What happened to the classic playlist they promised.

So… Basically you are comparing Goldeneye(n64) to Halo:ce? Am I correct in this comparison of your comparison?

I cant stand H4, already started putting in H3 over H4. Will probably be back on H3 fully in a month or less.

> I was just about to make a thread about how I want my Halo 3 multiplayer back. I’ll just put it here, and link to my similar thread on the 343 forums:
>
>
>
> > I loved Halo multiplayer; starting with Halo:CE, then Halo 2 on XBL, then Halo 3. Obviously I was incredibly excited for Halo 4 to come out; only to find that my beloved multiplayer had morphed into another Call of Duty clone (As if there weren’t enough of those in the COD franchise already). I think you made a mistake to go in this direction, and so does everyone that I have spoken with. (The unanimous agreement has been that we would rather play Halo 3 multiplayer, if only more people were in the matchmaking).
> >
> > Please, Please, Please make all of us old-school halo fans happy by releasing an old-school playlist that closer reflects the style and pace of the multiplayer in previous titles. Force starting weapons to the AR/plasma pistol; weapons / equipment spawn on maps the way they used to; turn off all ordnance. Put these changes into a playlist or two (Oldschool Slayer, big Team Oldschool, Oldschool Skirmish), and I think that they would be instantly popular.
>
> http://www.343industries.org/forum/topic/17638-i-want-my-halo-multiplayer-back/

Just like many before me SLAYER PRO SEAS HI!

Should be comparing this game to Halo 2. Nothing beats Halo 2 in my eyes.

Halo 3 was far superior.

-1-50 system
-Bungie community involvement
-More Halo sub communities with Bungie’s support
-Simple armor with character and notability - unlike Halo 4’s overdesigned, lackluster armor (minus helmets, they were pretty good)
-Recon armor exclusivity - gave community members something to strive for
-Balanced arena gameplay across all playlists
-Peak of Halo’s MLG involvement
-Peak of Halo’s custom game community
-Peak of Halo’s forge community

Ohhh man this is an easy one, the obvious answer is Halo 3 and thats because of the amazing community it had.

Halo 3 always had people on it, making the game very fun. I mean back then, we had the funnest custom games ever! You’d always be able to go on your friends list and find a friend playing zombies. Halo 4, I have yet to see that, but I hope it comes back.

Oh and not to mention that multiplayer in Halo 3 took skill to achieve ranks. I prefer that over Halo 4’s ranking system any day.

You guys can say that Halo 4 is better, but if you actually played Halo 3 from start to finish, you’d understand why it was such a great game.

The reason people are hatting the new MP is because they suck with the Skilled Rifles and can not handle that fact it is a adapt or die in this game just the other halos…And why are people saying is it like H3… it was good but the game u should compare it to his H2 that was the Best halo and my fav game of all time… This game feels like H2 because you have to team shoot in this game more than anyother halo since H2… but to answer your Q this game is ten times better than H3 plain and simple

> What’s going to happen when those playlist’s won’t be as intensely popular as you would think? Cry in a corner? I enjoyed Halo1-3 at THAT TIME. This isn’t 2001 anymore. People want different things. Obviously they thought long and hopefully hard about the changes they’ve made. Seeing how some of the 343i staff used to be apart of Bungie.

This.

Halo 2 was the best followed by Halo 3. Reach was meh.

I haven’t played Halo 4 enough to have an opinion but so far its meh. Maybe when SWAT comes out later this week I might start to like it.

> Should be comparing this game to Halo 2. Nothing beats Halo 2 in my eyes.

QFT

Same here.

I only had XBL for 1 year back in the Halo 2 days but I played more Halo 2 in that 1 year than I did of Halo 3 which is from when I got my 360 (xmas 2007) to present. Not only did I play more H2 on XBL but I also system linked with my friends a lot.

I can’t wait until christmas break because everyone will be back home from college and we’ve been talking about playing Halo 2 again.

> The reason people are hatting the new MP is because they suck with the Skilled Rifles and can not handle that fact it is a adapt or die in this game just the other halos…And why are people saying is it like H3… it was good but the game u should compare it to his H2 that was the Best halo and my fav game of all time… This game feels like H2 because you have to team shoot in this game more than anyother halo since H2… but to answer your Q this game is ten times better than H3 plain and simple

Please tell me your joking? If you think halo 4 takes a lot of skill to play then you need to stop playing games.