Multiplayer Canon

With the release of Halo 4, 343i introduced a canonical explanation to multiplayer. The Red vs Blue battles we have had for years are actually just simulations so to speak.

With the heightened pushed for canonical accuracy, one thing that recently began to puzzle me is the BR and the DMR.

BR Cartridge: 9.5 x 40mm
DMR Cartridge : 7.62 x 51mm

Clearly the BR has a larger round, and thus delivers more kinetic energy (as outlined on Halopedia). However, somehow the BR takes 12 shots to kill (headshots) and the DMR only takes 5. How can this be? One speculation can be that the DMR round has much more propellant in the casing and therefore yields more kinetic energy, but once again Halopedia disproves that.

Cause the spread of the BR is extremely tight, if you made it a two shot kill (6 shots) it would be OP as -Yoink-, weapon balance is the key here, even round wise it makes no sense, game play wise it makes complete sense.

> 2533274840624875;2:
> Cause the spread of the BR is extremely tight, if you made it a two shot kill (6 shots) it would be OP as -Yoink-, weapon balance is the key here, even round wise it makes no sense, game play wise it makes complete sense.

I perfectly understand that, weapon balance is key. Simplest solution would be to change cartridge size.

Whats funny is that the BR’s mag even holds more rounds than the DMR.

well yea, it fires three rounds at a time what do you expect. haha

Gameplay Balance > Logic

> 2533274840624875;4:
> well yea, it fires three rounds at a time what do you expect. haha

What I am implying is that their magazine sizes are similar, and yet the DMR can hold only 14/15 rounds even though the cartridges are smaller.

> 2535425761687659;5:
> Gameplay Balance > Logic

Then why for the love of all that is unholy they not use this rhetoric for the terrible addition of smart-scope?

It’s because the multiplayer isn’t actually canon. Spartans just use a training simulation vaguely similar to what we see in-game.

> 2533274832130936;7:
> > 2535425761687659;5:
> > Gameplay Balance > Logic
>
>
> Then why for the love of all that is unholy they not use this rhetoric for the terrible addition of smart-scope?

Presumably, they did. You just happen to disagree.

Why do people care about multiplayer being canon for crying out loud? I prefer it when we had clones of Master Chiefs running around killing each other. Not everything has to make sense.

7.62 x 51 has more overall length and therefore more room for gunpowder, but beside that a smaller diameter bullet gets more penetration because it encounters less resistance while moving through a target. And most enemies in Halo, particularly Spartans, have some degree of armor. A smaller diameter bullet is better for armor penetration as long as it’s moving fast enough, has sufficient mass, and structural integrity(fmj or even steel/tungsten core rather than a bare lead slug).

Against an unarmored opponent the wider diameter bullet would be a better choice.