Multiplayer advice

I’ve played Matchmaking since the Halo 3 days and I’m now a very regular Reach player. I’m quite a decent player and will usually get 15+ kills in a good standard Team slayer match. However one problem has plagued me since day one; I can’t keep my death count low. It’s destroying my K/D ratio (which hasnt been helped by the fact that in the early days I’d a really bad connection). No matter how many kills I get in a game, its sometimes a struggle to keep my K/D spread above 0. Ive been told that its something to do with my playing style - I tend to prefer close quarters more than anything, although Im not bad at long range. I’m merely alright at mid range. Practice makes perfect, but after nearly 4 years, while my ability to kill has seriously improved, my ability to stay alive has come along at a slower rate.

So I’m looking for any advice on how I might clean up my style to try and keep my death count low? And I’m just wondering is there anyone else out there who has had this problem?

Btw, I hope this is the right place to post a thread like this.

> I’ve played Matchmaking since the Halo 3 days and I’m now a very regular Reach player. I’m quite a decent player and will usually get 15+ kills in a good standard Team slayer match. However one problem has plagued me since day one; I can’t keep my death count low. It’s destroying my K/D ratio (which hasnt been helped by the fact that in the early days I’d a really bad connection). No matter how many kills I get in a game, its sometimes a struggle to keep my K/D spread above 0. Ive been told that its something to do with my playing style - I tend to prefer close quarters more than anything, although Im not bad at long range. I’m merely alright at mid range. Practice makes perfect, but after nearly 4 years, while my ability to kill has seriously improved, my ability to stay alive has come along at a slower rate.
>
> So I’m looking for any advice on how I might clean up my style to try and keep my death count low? And I’m just wondering is there anyone else out there who has had this problem?
>
>
>
>
> Btw, I hope this is the right place to post a thread like this.

Check my file share on bungie.net and observe my playstyle. I always hang back unless rushing power weapons. As soon as you spawn they should be your main concern. but i have a few videos of my playstyle on my fileshare so observe and emulate. I have a 2.73 kd in squad aand 1.61 over all and am in onyx.

good luck!

Focus on putting yourself in good positions to get shots on opponents rather than playing so aggressively that you end up in close uarters situations so often. CQB in Halo isn’t really the best place to be - it’s risky and you’re only helping yourself. Practice your mid range shooting more so that you can keep out of people’s faces and also be of more assistance to your team. You will probably get fewer kills but you’ll actually be more helpful to your team by getting more assists (or at least putting shots on more people to weaken them) and staying alive more.

I like you also get 15+ kills per game, but generally get at least +5 k/d spread. I think that if you go close quarters, unless you have shotgun/sword, you run the risk of dying. Mid/Long range weapons such as DMR, Needle rifle and Sniper need to be used if you want to get a good k/d spread in my opinion. Also in close quarters sometimes jumping and using grenades well can see you come out on top more often than not. A massive problem with close quarters is players are getting extremely good at using armour lock, which can be very annoying. I am a sprint man personally, getting around the map quickly is a must to keep my death count down.

you should also go stealth quite a bit, catch your enemy off guard instead of running into the battlefield like a wild chimpanzee! :stuck_out_tongue:

I used to be a close quarters guy, and I still am for the most part but I do see the advantages of learning about mid-long range tactics. My K/d is slowly going up from learning but if you really need help, the tactics I use for close combat are things like staying crouched and being in more objective style playlists. If close quarters is what you’re good at, stay behind at your base and guard from enemies, keep an eye on Radar and stay alert at all times.

Hijacking Vehicles is great practice too, when it comes to ghosts and on some occasions a hog or wraith I stay low, invisible and when they park, hijack them and let my team finish them off while I just prevented their escape. Works wonders for me and hopefully this helps you a bit.

Patience, assassination and timing is what close quarters is about, not running up and beating them to death.

I get a slightly above average amount of kills, but the trick is to get few deaths. That’s how I keep my 1.71 k/d.

take advantage of the DMR’s broken bloom and spam at close and medium range

The best advice I can give you is to watch MLG Pro gameplay - not like it was a football match, but a lesson you must be critical about. Search it on YouTube for guaranteed results. Some old games are being posted in the Waypoint home page, too.

The second best advice is to stay behind and in cover at all times. Don’t just shoot to kill - shoot the enemy even if it is sprinting away far from you just so you can take a bit of its shields so your teammates can clean him up.
Clean up kills - you might think it’s kill stealing and it’s bad, but many times your teammate is one shot when his enemy is also, so you killing his enemy guarantees your teammates survival.

Also, remember to stay with your team (unless they mindlessly rush the opponent’s base [like you probably do :)] - even if they are randoms who wander around, follow them.

Playing on the MLG playlist is guaranteed to increase your overall skill.

I’m not the best player in the world, but I’m not the worst, either. These tips might seem obvious, and they are, but when I started following them my gameplay not only got better, I enjoyed the game more because I could stay alive longer.

Always save your grenades for charging enemies. I’ve never played a game where the other team will chase you like they do in Reach.

Camp with powerweapons (shotgun, Rockets, Sniper). They absolutely maul people in this game.

Take advantage of the overall broken layouts a majority of the maps share.

Abuse spawn killing.

repeat

> The best advice I can give you is to watch MLG Pro gameplay - not like it was a football match, but a lesson you must be critical about. Search it on YouTube for guaranteed results. Some old games are being posted in the Waypoint home page, too.
>
> The second best advice is to stay behind and in cover at all times. Don’t just shoot to kill - shoot the enemy even if it is sprinting away far from you just so you can take a bit of its shields so your teammates can clean him up.
> Clean up kills - you might think it’s kill stealing and it’s bad, but many times your teammate is one shot when his enemy is also, so you killing his enemy guarantees your teammates survival.
>
> Also, remember to stay with your team (unless they mindlessly rush the opponent’s base [like you probably do :)] - even if they are randoms who wander around, follow them.
>
> Playing on the MLG playlist is guaranteed to increase your overall skill.
>
>
>
> I’m not the best player in the world, but I’m not the worst, either. These tips might seem obvious, and they are, but when I started following them my gameplay not only got better, I enjoyed the game more because I could stay alive longer.

dude MLG gameplay works in the MLG playlist but it doesnt carry over to AA slayer. Im a camo prostitute and power weapon harlot MLG run and gun doesnt garner the highest KD, atleast not in squad and TS. let my 2.73 kd in squad and 2 days of playtime be proof of that.

Abuse every broken game mechanic in the game to get yourself kills. Getting chased by sword? Armor Lock. Rockets? Armor Lock. When they’re stunned or reloading, pop out and blast the -Yoink- out of them.

Abuse the broken maps too. Always vote Red Team Sword Base/Reflection/Powerhouse/etc. Soon, you’ll find your win rate skyrocketing.

> dude MLG gameplay works in the MLG playlist but it doesnt carry over to AA slayer. Im a camo prostitute and power weapon harlot MLG run and gun doesnt garner the highest KD, atleast not in squad and TS. let my 2.73 kd in squad and 2 days of playtime be proof of that.

Playing MLG will make your K/D drop, but you will become a better player and watching MLG Pro will teach you many, many things. That’s for sure. :slight_smile:

stop running into battle thinking your rambo and stop chasing people
they are leading you into a ambush

> you should also go stealth quite a bit, catch your enemy off guard instead of running into the battlefield like a wild chimpanzee! :stuck_out_tongue:

I use stealth 99% of the time because I find it handy for close quarters combat.

Many of you are right though when ye pick up on my tendancy to charge in at times (not all the time though, I do think through my plays). What tends to happen a lot though is that I zone in on trying to kill one guy. I forget about assisting and I just wanna kill that particular guy. But regardless of whether I kill him or not, I usually ignore my surroundings (something not helped by the radar jammer of Active camo) and end up getting ambushed by someone else. Thats why me getting a kill and then getting killed straight away afterwards is quite common in my games.

Thatnks for your help so far though lads :slight_smile:

> > dude MLG gameplay works in the MLG playlist but it doesnt carry over to AA slayer. Im a camo prostitute and power weapon harlot MLG run and gun doesnt garner the highest KD, atleast not in squad and TS. let my 2.73 kd in squad and 2 days of playtime be proof of that.
>
> Playing MLG will make your K/D drop, but you will become a better player and watching MLG Pro will teach you many, many things. That’s for sure. :slight_smile:

No what im sayign is that MLG gameplay is nothing like standard reach. There is no AL, camo, jetpack etc right off spawn. AAs drastically change how the game is played. MLG is run and gun regular reach is much much slower, but thats if only you are any good.

Well, I took some of yere advice on board today with pleasing results :smiley: Got my 3rd Perfection medal of Reach so Im pretty happy with myself. Thanks guys :slight_smile:

This isnt COD, so when you note your KDR Im kinda shaking my head. I personally try to win and that percentage is ultimately the one that is most important to me. You can die a million times, but its no matter if you win the game. This is especially true in objective game types. I use sprint, pretty much only sprint. Its perfect for dipping out when your shield pops. Aviod one on one situation when they have already landed a shot or two on you. Thats when your most likely getting killed. If you do run to save your shield, try and run in the direction of your fellow teamates in the hopes that a chaser would have to deal with them and thier full shield. As others have said, and its true way more than in other games, position is number one when it comes to staying alive. Be aware of your teamates, where they are firing, and how many enemies they can see. Be careful of spawn points and choke spots on the maps, those are where most deaths happen. Know where your health packs are, and when and where power weapons spawn. If the rockets spawn in 20 seconds, you have time to get there, but know that others will be there waiting most likely, so make decisions accordingly. Try and travel with atleast one teamate in view atleast. Two people shooting one guy is a million times better than a jumping circling one on one, especailly if they are good, because another enemy will be there soon, either to scoop you up, or help his teamate finish the job.
Kinda off topic slightly, but i use bumper jump. Made the switch in Halo 3. If you use jetpack, this is probably a bad idea, but anything else and your golden. It takes a little getting used to but its worth it. Jumping with the bumber and not the A button allows your thumb to stay on the right stick so you can aim and jump at the same time instead of trying to juggle two buttons with one thumb. Hope this helps

Yeah, I tend to run and gun, charging into battle. My KD is low because of that. If Bloom wasn’t in the game I would have a higher KD.