MSFT Reveals X1 Without Kinect, This Means...

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content. This includes leaked content, real or fake.

>

I “knew” Xbox would come without the Kinect. They should go all out on those virtual reality glasses instead … much more interesting.

I am also pretty sure Halo 2 will also come out. As they have said, they need news at E3 …

I may be missing something but what does this have to do with halo rumors?

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content. This includes leaked content, real or fake.

Hate to love to say it, but I told 'me so. The original Kinect strategy was typical Microsoft foolishness, especially in the face of the negative criticism. I don’t understand why they keep making these blunders, only to go ahead and remake their position. I get it, they wanted a truly next-gen item for the living room. But the Kinect strategy went about it all wrong, and this proves it.

The new price point is definitely in their favor, and will help me to buy an XB1 sooner. Assuming H5 looks solid, of course.

I don’t quite see how this relates to any Halo rumors, though. I still think H2A would be a giant waste of resources – time, effort, money, whatever – that should have gone into H5.

> Hate to love to say it, but I told 'me so. The original Kinect strategy was typical Microsoft foolishness, especially in the face of the negative criticism. I don’t understand why they keep making these blunders, only to go ahead and remake their position. I get it, they wanted a truly next-gen item for the living room. But the Kinect strategy went about it all wrong, and this proves it.
>
> The new price point is definitely in their favor, and will help me to buy an XB1 sooner. Assuming H5 looks solid, of course.
>
> I don’t quite see how this relates to any Halo rumors, though. I still think H2A would be a giant waste of resources – time, effort, money, whatever – that should have gone into H5.

I agree with what you said about the Xbox. It was a bad idea to only the Kinect bundle available, until now. Many people will see the price drop, and no Kinect, which will defiantly boost sales for the X1.

(See my second post to see how it relates to halo rumors)

However, I disagree with you about H2A being a waste of resources, time, etc. many halo fans want a H2A, including myself. I also would rather have H5 release next year so I know 343i is taking the time and effort to make H5 the best it can be, instead of rushing to get it finished this year.

Oops, must have been typing the response when you posted that second.

As for H2A, I certainly don’t begrudge the community their wish for it. I tried CEA and it was 'aight, IMHO, and I enjoyed CE far more than H2. To each their own. And I totally agree, H5 needs to be the best it can be. I’m probably too hung up on my interpretation of some MSFT exec’s quote about making Halo a console-selling juggernaut for the '14 holiday season.

> However, I disagree with you about H2A being a waste of resources, time, etc. many halo fans want a H2A, including myself. I also would rather have H5 release next year so I know 343i is taking the time and effort to make H5 the best it can be, instead of rushing to get it finished this year.

The problem is, a Halo 2 Anniversary (or any spinoff), won’t sway the consumer market over to the Xbox One. Sure, it’ll generate a lot of sales from the competetive community and dedicated fans, but it won’t make people who are deciding which console to get choose an Xbox One over the PS4.

2014 is the most important year for both consoles. This is the year that the majority of the market is going to make their final decision on whether or not to pay 400 dollars or 500. So far, Microsoft has Titanfall as their exclusive, but it’s not enough; the PS4’s still beating their sales. During November of this year, the most important time for any business, they’ll need another exclusive to influence the final decision that people make when walking into GameStop.

Remakes don’t sell consoles. That’s about as plain as it can get.

However, while it would be very illogical for Microsoft to kick off Halo on the X1 with a remake, that doesn’t eliminate the possibility of an H2A this year. It’s possible that what we might see is Halo 5 releasing in September in order to give Destiny fierce competition (which could also help X1 sales since Destiny is avaliable in both consoles), and then a remastered Halo 2 campaign with a massive map pack for Halo 5 in November.

> > However, I disagree with you about H2A being a waste of resources, time, etc. many halo fans want a H2A, including myself. I also would rather have H5 release next year so I know 343i is taking the time and effort to make H5 the best it can be, instead of rushing to get it finished this year.
>
> The problem is, a Halo 2 Anniversary (or any spinoff), won’t sway the consumer market over to the Xbox One. Sure, it’ll generate a lot of sales from the competetive community and dedicated fans, but it won’t make people who are deciding which console to get choose an Xbox One over the PS4.
>
> 2014 is the most important year for both consoles. This is the year that the majority of the market is going to make their final decision on whether or not to pay 400 dollars or 500. So far, Microsoft has Titanfall as their exclusive, but it’s not enough; the PS4’s still beating their sales. During November of this year, the most important time for any business, they’ll need another exclusive to influence the final decision that people make when walking into GameStop.
>
> Remakes don’t sell consoles. That’s about as plain as it can get.
>
> However, while it would be very illogical for Microsoft to kick off Halo on the X1 with a remake, that doesn’t eliminate the possibility of an H2A this year. It’s possible that what we might see is Halo 5 releasing in September in order to give Destiny fierce competition (which could also help X1 sales since Destiny is avaliable in both consoles), and then a remastered Halo 2 campaign with a massive map pack for Halo 5 in November.

The one will be being sold with no kinect =399$ . (not trying come off cocky just trying to inform)

I also agree 100% with everything you said.

So does anyone else think that the Halo rumors are also true?

(Just trying to get back to the main topic of this post)

It means that they are having alot of things for E3. In Phill we trust!

Phil Spencer is a bright man.

I’m also glad I don’t have to entirely dread running out of Gold, more apps accessibility means more price flexibility. I also hope the shift makes Gold cheaper in the long run but right now a cheaper Xbox One is fantastic.

I’d love a Core One bundled with Halo 2 Anniversary.

> It means that they are having alot of things for E3. In Phill we trust!

I might be wrong, but indeed, releasing such information (optional Kinect, Xbox Live Gold paywall) now could mean they have crazy things to reveal at E3.

I wonder if this means that Halo 2 is indeed coming this year and Halo 5 next year.

I think its actually quite dissapointing they’re abandoning Kinect now.

Unlike many I am fan of the concept of Kinect. So far I haven’t seen too many things done well with Kinect (Kinectimals, Zoo Tycoon, Mass Effect 3 squad orders as exceptions) but the concept is solid.
Devs just need to do something with it that is well integrated with the type of gameplay ‘we’ like, and not just as a tacked on gimmick to attract 5 more casual gamers.

To make the link with Halo: I firmly believe console RTS games have a future…if only they would incorporate the voice control part of Kinect in addition to the controller. That would allow for multitasking like ordering your base to make an X amount of Marines while at that same time being in the midst of a battle on the other side of the map…without having to switch to that base to make the order.
I also believe Kinect could streamline things within the main series, like selecting stuff in Forge without having to manually scroll through submenu after submenu.

In other games it could work perfectly fine for squad orders, Looking into corners in Forza etc etc.

It is simply a matter of devs needing to realize where it could work perfectly fine.

And by eliminating Kinect from the core edition of the console Microsoft is also losing their Kinect ‘sales’ and with that the leverage to make devs do something useful with Kinect.
Now it will go down just like the 360-Kinect: obscurity and therefore not worth investing in.

From a business point of view I understand why MS does this. But I also feel it is a bit hypocritical from a gamers point of view to cheer now. After all: if MS didn’t receive the backlash prior to E3, Sony too would’ve had a similar camera set up (just like Sony has many things in common with the things the One is bashed for, but because they don’t mention those things it is somehow perfectly fine) and in that scenario Sony probably would’ve gotten away with it…why not MS?
Voice/gesture controls ARE the future. I WANT to be able to tell my computer to switch to that Daft Punk album on iTunes while being in the kitchen doing the dishes. I want to be able to ask my computer, and receive answers from it via voice things I don’t really want to sit down for and type in. The weather forecast for instance while I’m packing my back for a day in the park. Etc etc.

What is more baffling is that ‘we’ the ‘hardcore gamers’ are prepared to sit down with a massive headset…as if that is no more ridiculous, conceptually wise, than waving your arms at your tv… :wink:
Even then: combine that with Kinect and you could’ve taken the concept of VR to a next level. Really placing you inside the game.

Again: business wise I understand it. But from a gamers perspective I don’t.

The XOne hasn’t released in Holland yet. When it does, I will probably opt for the Kinect included version anyway…

What this means for the H2A/H5 rumours? No idea.

> I think its actually quite dissapointing they’re abandoning Kinect now.

I am right there with you. I haven’t had the opportunity yet of using Kinect that much. I was really looking forward to it. I realize it hasn’t had good reviews so far, nonetheless, I appreciate the concept and what it can mean for the future of gaming.

Somehow the “Kinect Sold Separately” part flew over heads…

> Somehow the “Kinect Sold Separately” part flew over heads…

Devs will be less likely to make content for it unless it is with every console.

I think they could lower the price with kinect in-box but that might be next year when Halo 5 is released?

They should call this the Core package.

It just means they wasted a year to build a rehash game. And that we’ll have to wait a year and that they effectively lied to us because of that concept image they released.