MP wise, Halo 4 should just copy HCE/H2

343 needs to essentially just copy HCE/H2(mutli player wise)

There is no room for error with this game. After Reach Halo now has one shot. If 343 tries to go outside the box and misses, it’s over.

Just make Halo 4 really really solid and tight. Solid FPS fundamentals. Aiming, shooting and moving. You get that right and have good networking and throw some non gameplay altering player incentives like exp and challenges and armour and crap and you’ve got yourself THE game.

If they want to go nuts with innovations and ideas, you’ve got all of the campaign and all of the co op and all of the forge and all of the theater and all of every single part of the game except online multi player. Knock yourself out.

Why try to go crazy with the multi player? It’s the one area where no matter what you change people will be pissed. Change the campaign up. Evolve it beyond “go into room A, kill everyone, go to room B, kill everyone”.

Put some puzzles in it. Put some squad commands in it. Put some time travel elements. Who cares? It’s campaign. Do w/e you want. Multiplayer needs to say simple and tight though.

No. While Halo 4 and any sequel should learn from what the other games have done, copying them is an outright horrible idea.

It needs to copy Halo 3.

> It needs to copy Halo 3.

Again, no. Halo 3 had horrible weapon balance, and the lack of hit-scan was terrible.

> No. While Halo 4 and any sequel should learn from what the other games have done, copying them is an outright horrible idea.

Why?

Every franchise that has done it has only been met with massive, near uniform praise from it’s fans.

Starcraft
Counterstike
COD

It’s the franchises that try to reinvent their MP wheel that get in trouble.

> > It needs to copy Halo 3.
>
> Again, no. Halo 3 had horrible weapon balance, and the lack of hit-scan was terrible.

Then it needs to be Halo 3 with working hit scan and more weapon balance. Either -Yoinking!- way, it needs to copy Halo 3.

No, although I absolutely adored Halo 1, 2 and 3’s multiplayer, I want Halo 4 to be a fresh new experience that learns from past games as well as putting its own stuff in there.

If you really want Halo 1, 2 or 3’s multiplayer, go play those. Halo 1 PC, Halo 2 PC and Halo 3 still have online multiplayer up for you to play and enjoy.

>
> Again, no. Halo 3 had horrible weapon balance, and the lack of hit-scan was terrible.

Ya, H3 sucked.

To ad-lib Cliff Bleszinski… “people often ask me, is Halo 4 going to play like Halo 1 or Halo 2? And I say no. Halo 4 is going to play like Halo 4.”

> No, although I absolutely adored Halo 1, 2 and 3’s multiplayer, I want Halo 4 to be a fresh new experience that learns from past games as well as putting its own stuff in there.
>
> If you really want Halo 1, 2 or 3’s multiplayer, go play those. Halo 1 PC, Halo 2 PC and Halo 3 still have online multiplayer up for you to play and enjoy.

Or you could go play a different game, and let halo fans enjoy halo. Seeing as you’re the one who wants something else.

The Multi-player should be similar and not stray to far away from the originals, but it shouldn’t be copied. If 343 tries to reinvent the series now, it’ll just scare people away. If they do want to add new features they should save it for Halo 5/6.

> To ad-lib Cliff Bleszinski… “people often ask me, is Halo 4 going to play like Halo 1 or Halo 2? And I say no. Halo 4 is going to play like Halo 4.”

Ya, let’s go by what the guy who destroys his own MP franchises has to say. Good idea.

He is the absolute worst offender when it comes to reinventing the wheel and ending up with something that doesn’t even roll anymore.

Look at Starcraft, Counterstrike, Quake and COD. all those games stay relatively similar with huge praise from there fans.

> > No. While Halo 4 and any sequel should learn from what the other games have done, copying them is an outright horrible idea.
>
> Why?
>
> Every franchise that has done it has only been met with massive, near uniform praise from it’s fans.
>
>
> Starcraft
> Counterstike
> COD
>
> It’s the franchises that try to reinvent their MP wheel that get in trouble.

HA! StarCraft 2 being a copy of StarCraft 1? Have you even played competitive multiplayer? StarCraft 2 has changed so much from the first game, it isn’t even funny. Hell, most of the units from the first game have been replaced and there are a ton of new strategies.

While the shooting aspect of gameplay of CoD hasn’t changed much, there have been a lot of innovations between each Modern Warfare game. Most of those come from killstreaks/deathstreaks, it still changes a fair amount of stuff.

The only one I’ll give to you is Counter Strike, although I don’t really know much about that game so I can’t comment.

>

This ^

> If they do want to add new features they should save it for Halo 5/6.

Exactly. Especially considering they will be next gen games.

Play it close to the vest with H4. Just make sure you get the fundamentals down. Try somethings in campaign.

Then if it all works out, you add some new stuff to MP. Slowly.

I really wish there was a way to access the alternate reality in which Reach was made as a rehash of Halo 3 (or pick one of the three). Just to see the reaction of the fanbase.

> > > No. While Halo 4 and any sequel should learn from what the other games have done, copying them is an outright horrible idea.
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > Every franchise that has done it has only been met with massive, near uniform praise from it’s fans.
> >
> >
> > Starcraft
> > Counterstike
> > COD
> >
> > It’s the franchises that try to reinvent their MP wheel that get in trouble.
>
> HA! StarCraft 2 being a copy of StarCraft 1? Have you even played competitive multiplayer? StarCraft 2 has changed so much from the first game, it isn’t even funny. Hell, most of the units from the first game have been replaced and there are a ton of new strategies.
>
> While the shooting aspect of gameplay of CoD hasn’t changed much, there have been a lot of innovations between each Modern Warfare game. Most of those come from killstreaks/deathstreaks, it still changes a fair amount of stuff.
>
> The only one I’ll give to you is Counter Strike, although I don’t really know much about that game so I can’t comment.

The core of those games are all the same. The game still plays the same way. Nothing new in those games is going to offend someone who enjoyed the previous games.

Halo 2/3 with a few new ideas that agree with the Halo Formula (NOT AAS) with hitscan and NO BLOOM would make for a sick Halo game.

> I really wish there was a way to access the alternate reality in which Reach was made as a rehash of Halo 3 (or pick one of the three). Just to see the reaction of the fanbase.

I wish I could see the alternate reality in which CE had Reach’s mechanics and vice versa. Ten bucks says these people currently complaining about Reach while treating Combat Evolved as the second coming of the Messiah would still be hating on the newest game while blindly loving the original.

> > > > No. While Halo 4 and any sequel should learn from what the other games have done, copying them is an outright horrible idea.
> > >
> > > Why?
> > >
> > > Every franchise that has done it has only been met with massive, near uniform praise from it’s fans.
> > >
> > >
> > > Starcraft
> > > Counterstike
> > > COD
> > >
> > > It’s the franchises that try to reinvent their MP wheel that get in trouble.
> >
> > HA! StarCraft 2 being a copy of StarCraft 1? Have you even played competitive multiplayer? StarCraft 2 has changed so much from the first game, it isn’t even funny. Hell, most of the units from the first game have been replaced and there are a ton of new strategies.
> >
> > While the shooting aspect of gameplay of CoD hasn’t changed much, there have been a lot of innovations between each Modern Warfare game. Most of those come from killstreaks/deathstreaks, it still changes a fair amount of stuff.
> >
> > The only one I’ll give to you is Counter Strike, although I don’t really know much about that game so I can’t comment.
>
> The core of those games are all the same. The game still plays the same way. Nothing new in those games is going to offend someone who enjoyed the previous games.

And the core of Halo Reach still plays like every other Halo game as well, but just has some additions to it that people have disliked. Take away bloom, armour abilities and loadouts and the game is like the others. Sure, movement speed and jump heights are different, but those changed between every other Halo game too.

The same can be said for CoD. Removing the ability to change your killstreaks and the addition of deathstreaks makes MW3 the same as MW1. While it hasn’t changed as much as Halo, you can’t deny that both games have simply just evolved.