MP respawns turned into ODST style drops

What if instead of watching a respawn timer your character would actually drop into the combat zone ODST style and make an impact on the map with the pod providing temporary cover or possibly producing mild impact damage for too close enemies?

Also while dropping during the respawn countdown you could use the pods menu screen to select load outs.

Obviously the drops wouldn’t allow for spawn location selection and might have to be only for open air maps but in the case of indoor spawns a standard spawn screen could be used instead.

They could even put a little shaking grass skirt hula girl on dash board of the drop pod for visual effect.

Who here would like to see the outer space decent for each of the different maps while respawning/dropping into battle.

this idea came to me since it’s a long time since I played ODST and i would like to go through the drop sequence again and maybe in another Halo game it will happen

I welcome the idea. This idea sounds great, but it would just be spectacular seeing the other team falling from across you in space and both teams just looking at each other breaching the planet.

I am forced to question how this will affect maps with respawns in interior spaces…

> I am forced to question how this will affect maps with respawns in interior spaces…

Well he says that it’ll use the default standard spawn screen for indoor maps. I would imagine if you spawn on an outside map that uses orbital drop spawns, but spawn inside a structure you’ll just use the default spawn screen.

Just a reminder but bumping is not allowed. If you want to add to your OP, please use the edit button next time.

Thanks.

This seems like an awesome idea, I would love to see this seeing as ODSTs are my favourite thing in the halo universe but I don’t think it would be very practical. My reasons for this are: without that camera after you die there would be less team work/communication in games like CTF where you can switch to different players and tell them where other people are. It would also make the game much slower because the respawn times would be increased by quite a bit and also the area of affect from the drop pod seems a bit unfair, remember how much people hated random ordnance drops in halo 4? Imagine what they’d say about getting killed frequently by them!
Sorry to sound like a -Yoink- and rain on your cool idea, but that’s just what I think, and hey, who the hell cares what I think :stuck_out_tongue:

You mean like section 8 OP?

> You mean like section 8 OP?

What franchise do you think Section 8 got the original idea from?

OT: I think this is a cool idea, but instead of using respawn points we should have designated respawn zones so you can steer your pod wherever in the zone. Should you fly out of that zone however, you’ll automatically self-destruct or die on impact. Allows for a little creative choosing of respawn points such as given in Invasion in Reach.

> > You mean like section 8 OP?
>
> What franchise do you think Section 8 got the original idea from?

I meant game play - wise

> > > You mean like section 8 OP?
> >
> > What franchise do you think Section 8 got the original idea from?
>
> I meant game play - wise

Oh. Well, my bad.

Not to mention other franchises/sci fi stories did that before

For visual effects only. I wouldn’t want optional spawns a la Section 8.

And I really couldn’t care less about visual effects.

I would love to see drop pods implemented for respawns. One possibke way to do it is to have respawn zones that you can land your pod in. This allows some creative options when it comes to spawning and prevents one team from completely dominating the match, grinding the game to a halt by spawn trapping. And excuse any typos, I’m typing on my phone.

If it’s anything like Battlefield 4’s parachuting spawn where it’s in one location, or for ODST drop pods two or three choices of spawn, I’m game. It’d be a cool idea

I’m surprised we haven’t seen a campaign level where you get out of a drop pod as part of gameplay, ODST doesn’t count you missed the fight by 6 hours. I mean Halo 2’s where you drop into a firefight. I want something like that but it’s not a cutscene in TPS but FPS, like the ODST version. Land down and open the pod door which kills 3 grunts and opens up to a hectic fight. Perfect.

Every time this topic is brought up, I always reference “Starhawk” which has this exact spawn system.
"Starhawk" is a third-person shooter with territory and structure-based gameplay. When the player spawns, they spawn within a drop pod (they can only spawn in applicable territory). They have limited control of their pod until they land, so they have the potential to land on and kill enemy infantry or vehicles.
A similar system could work in Halo, but only on larger maps.

I’ve always thought that this would be a cool idea for FireFight, but obviously we don’t have that anymore.

> I’ve always thought that this would be a cool idea for FireFight, but obviously we don’t have that anymore.

For now.

I gotta be honest, OP. I love that idea with the ODST style drops as respawns. However, It would be better to have it shown in the beginning, but it would be cool to have it continuously in a Objective Based Playlist. You have my support.

I think it will only work in Invasion maybe Big Team Battle.