MP Maps in Campaign

One interesting idea I had for Multiplayer was to make (at least some of) the multiplayer maps parts of the actual campaign open world. as this would make exploring the world in campaign a bit more interesting. This came to mind when I was playing Halo 3 ODST Firefight since in that game the Firefight maps where actually closed of section of the maps from campaign.

> 2535439627033596;1:
> One interesting idea I had for Multiplayer was to make (at least some of) the multiplayer maps parts of the actual campaign open world. as this would make exploring the world in campaign a bit more interesting. This came to mind when I was playing Halo 3 ODST Firefight since in that game the Firefight maps where actually closed of section of the maps from campaign.

This is generally a case of asset re-use. You may actually find the maps were designed for MP firefight first and then integrated into campaign. Reach also did this heavily.

They did for Halo Reach

> 2535436152010337;3:
> They did for Halo Reach

And I didn’t like it at all.

I’d rather have it separated - I wanna see locations in the MP I haven’t seen in the SP and vice versa.

> 2533274886490718;4:
> > 2535436152010337;3:
> > They did for Halo Reach
>
> And I didn’t like it at all.
>
> I’d rather have it separated - I wanna see locations in the MP I haven’t seen in the SP and vice versa.

I still think it would be interesting to have some kind of link between MP map and SP maps not necessarily bits of the same maps but definitely showing places, which although not being seen in the campaign are at least implied through visual continuity to be a part of world in campaign that are never shown.

> 2533274886490718;4:
> > 2535436152010337;3:
> > They did for Halo Reach
>
> And I didn’t like it at all.
>
> I’d rather have it separated - I wanna see locations in the MP I haven’t seen in the SP and vice versa.

Exactly.
If the rumors are true and there’s only one map in the Campaign (Pacific North-West themed), I’d be mortified if more than one map shared the same aesthetic.
If Campaign is going to be all blue, green and grey, I don’t want to see that in multiplayer as well.

It was one of my biggest complaints about Reach’s multiplayer, that all the Dev maps designs were tied to specific themes encountered in the campaign, and the rest were bland Foregworld maps, good old blue, green, and grey.

It’s a no from me.

I’ve got no problem with them integrating some MP maps back into Campaign. As long as they are properly designed MP maps first and foremost. The familiarity / connect can be a nice touch.

There shouldn’t be a lot of concern about the NW biome. There will be enough sub-biomes for variety (caves, swamps, etc). Add in Forerunner areas (ring) and Covenant installations (Banished) and ships (either in orbit or crash landed). We’ll have enough variety off the bat to keep us occupied.

Then a couple of more alien maps to help flesh it out.

And I wouldn’t worry too much about Forge. It’s been designed along side the game engine this time. I’m sure it will be a big step up from what was already a fairly impressive set up.

> 2585548714655118;7:
> I’ve got no problem with them integrating some MP maps back into Campaign. As long as they are properly designed MP maps first and foremost. The familiarity / connect can be a nice touch.
>
> There shouldn’t be a lot of concern about the NW biome. There will be enough sub-biomes for variety (caves, swamps, etc). Add in Forerunner areas (ring) and Covenant installations (Banished) and ships (either in orbit or crash landed). We’ll have enough variety off the bat to keep us occupied.
>
> Then a couple of more alien maps to help flesh it out.
>
> And I wouldn’t worry too much about Forge. It’s been designed along side the game engine this time. I’m sure it will be a big step up from what was already a fairly impressive set up.

While there is plenty of variety in those sub-biomes, that doesn’t mean I want to play in the exact same environment in multiplayer either.

Ideally, I’d like to see no multiplayer maps in the campaign at all. You could share the environment’s aesthetic for a few, which has certainly been done before, but I’d be shocked and disappointed if we had asset reuse on that scale. I don’t really see that happening because aside from Spartan Ops, 343 has yet to do that, which is fine by me

My honesty opinion, Infinite should only launch with ~3 original maps, and everything else should be obvious evolutions of maps from one of the SIX other Halo games.

May as well reuse what you got so long they both keep it balanced and make sure to have more than just copy/paste from the campaign. I want variety in my experience.

> 2614366390849210;9:
> My honesty opinion, Infinite should only launch with ~3 original maps, and everything else should be obvious evolutions of maps from one of the SIX other Halo games.

I’d be happy with this.
There are so many beloved MP maps in existence now it would be a shame to not have a single remake in Infinite.

I’m quite a fan of what they did with Halo CEA, in that the maps were recreated with new areas, which could be sealed of in Forge for that classic experience. I’d like 343 to approach map remakes in a similar way; build a map that compliments the new playstyle and sandbox in Infinite, but with the option of recreating the original by using some map specific pieces.

> 2533274923428997;8:
> > 2585548714655118;7:
> > I’ve got no problem with them integrating some MP maps back into Campaign. As long as they are properly designed MP maps first and foremost. The familiarity / connect can be a nice touch.
> >
> > There shouldn’t be a lot of concern about the NW biome. There will be enough sub-biomes for variety (caves, swamps, etc). Add in Forerunner areas (ring) and Covenant installations (Banished) and ships (either in orbit or crash landed). We’ll have enough variety off the bat to keep us occupied.
> >
> > Then a couple of more alien maps to help flesh it out.
> >
> > And I wouldn’t worry too much about Forge. It’s been designed along side the game engine this time. I’m sure it will be a big step up from what was already a fairly impressive set up.
>
> While there is plenty of variety in those sub-biomes, that doesn’t mean I want to play in the exact same environment in multiplayer either.
>
> Ideally, I’d like to see no multiplayer maps in the campaign at all. You could share the environment’s aesthetic for a few, which has certainly been done before, but I’d be shocked and disappointed if we had asset reuse on that scale. I don’t really see that happening because aside from Spartan Ops, 343 has yet to do that, which is fine by me

Depends what you mean by asset re-use on that scale. Halo 5 re-used a lot of assets - skyboxes, structures, landscapes, etc. But on reconfigured maps

> 2614366390849210;9:
> My honesty opinion, Infinite should only launch with ~3 original maps, and everything else should be obvious evolutions of maps from one of the SIX other Halo games.

As long as they are re-imaginings.

Otherwise they get drowned in a wave of whining when they don’t play the same with the new mechanics and/or weapons.

While a physical link between multiplayer and campaign would be cool, there shouldn’t be many maps that do this.

> 2533274874872263;12:
> > 2533274923428997;8:
> > > 2585548714655118;7:
> > > I’ve got no problem with them integrating some MP maps back into Campaign. As long as they are properly designed MP maps first and foremost. The familiarity / connect can be a nice touch.
> > >
> > > There shouldn’t be a lot of concern about the NW biome. There will be enough sub-biomes for variety (caves, swamps, etc). Add in Forerunner areas (ring) and Covenant installations (Banished) and ships (either in orbit or crash landed). We’ll have enough variety off the bat to keep us occupied.
> > >
> > > Then a couple of more alien maps to help flesh it out.
> > >
> > > And I wouldn’t worry too much about Forge. It’s been designed along side the game engine this time. I’m sure it will be a big step up from what was already a fairly impressive set up.
> >
> > While there is plenty of variety in those sub-biomes, that doesn’t mean I want to play in the exact same environment in multiplayer either.
> >
> > Ideally, I’d like to see no multiplayer maps in the campaign at all. You could share the environment’s aesthetic for a few, which has certainly been done before, but I’d be shocked and disappointed if we had asset reuse on that scale. I don’t really see that happening because aside from Spartan Ops, 343 has yet to do that, which is fine by me
>
> Depends what you mean by asset re-use on that scale. Halo 5 re-used a lot of assets - skyboxes, structures, landscapes, etc. But on reconfigured maps

I’m not referring to remixing maps, but I’m not a fan of that either, as it also kills map variety. Making a map and plopping it into the campaign levels is some serious corner-cutting and It hurts the experience of the game. You can reuse assets from the game and have unique maps though. District in H2Vista is a weird map because it totally reuses a bunch of assets from campaign and some other Mombasa maps, but its not from the campaign, it just uses the assets. It’s also a Vista map so I’m not sure bungie had anything to do with it lol.

All in all, it all comes down to variety, you can have maps that are in similar environments, or maybe a campaign area that is an homage to a popular multiplayer map, but if the maps are all found in the campaign, the game is gonna get really stale because the variety has been kneecapped. Reach kinda got away with this move because there was a lot of different environments in the game. Giant Ice Caverns, Space, Covenant Ships, a Mesa, a Launch Facility. Not sure we’re gonna get anything like those in the campaign just based on what 343 has said

> 2585548714655118;13:
> > 2614366390849210;9:
> > My honesty opinion, Infinite should only launch with ~3 original maps, and everything else should be obvious evolutions of maps from one of the SIX other Halo games.
>
> As long as they are re-imaginings.
>
> Otherwise they get drowned in a wave of whining when they don’t play the same with the new mechanics and/or weapons.

Tbh it depends on the map. Larger maps lend themselves to adaption pretty well. The differences in scaling aren’t really that noticeable to a lot of people if a map is large enough. Ragnarok and Hemorrhage are so simple and large enough that it’s hard to see many differences. Midship, on the other hand, is drastically different from it’s modern reimagining in Halo 5, Truth, because it’s a smaller map. Imagine how Lockout would look if that had been remade for H5

> 2533274923428997;15:
> > 2533274874872263;12:
> > > 2533274923428997;8:
> > > > 2585548714655118;7:
> > > > I’ve got no problem with them integrating some MP maps back into Campaign. As long as they are properly designed MP maps first and foremost. The familiarity / connect can be a nice touch.
> > > >
> > > > There shouldn’t be a lot of concern about the NW biome. There will be enough sub-biomes for variety (caves, swamps, etc). Add in Forerunner areas (ring) and Covenant installations (Banished) and ships (either in orbit or crash landed). We’ll have enough variety off the bat to keep us occupied.
> > > >
> > > > Then a couple of more alien maps to help flesh it out.
> > > >
> > > > And I wouldn’t worry too much about Forge. It’s been designed along side the game engine this time. I’m sure it will be a big step up from what was already a fairly impressive set up.
> > >
> > > While there is plenty of variety in those sub-biomes, that doesn’t mean I want to play in the exact same environment in multiplayer either.
> > >
> > > Ideally, I’d like to see no multiplayer maps in the campaign at all. You could share the environment’s aesthetic for a few, which has certainly been done before, but I’d be shocked and disappointed if we had asset reuse on that scale. I don’t really see that happening because aside from Spartan Ops, 343 has yet to do that, which is fine by me
> >
> > Depends what you mean by asset re-use on that scale. Halo 5 re-used a lot of assets - skyboxes, structures, landscapes, etc. But on reconfigured maps
>
> I’m not referring to remixing maps, but I’m not a fan of that either, as it also kills map variety. Making a map and plopping it into the campaign levels is some serious corner-cutting and It hurts the experience of the game. You can reuse assets from the game and have unique maps though. District in H2Vista is a weird map because it totally reuses a bunch of assets from campaign and some other Mombasa maps, but its not from the campaign, it just uses the assets. It’s also a Vista map so I’m not sure bungie had anything to do with it lol.
>
> All in all, it all comes down to variety, you can have maps that are in similar environments, or maybe a campaign area that is an homage to a popular multiplayer map, but if the maps are all found in the campaign, the game is gonna get really stale because the variety has been kneecapped. Reach kinda got away with this move because there was a lot of different environments in the game. Giant Ice Caverns, Space, Covenant Ships, a Mesa, a Launch Facility. Not sure we’re gonna get anything like those in the campaign just based on what 343 has said

I wasn’t talking about remixed maps - I was pointing out that H5 had no areas from campaign appear as a map directly but huge amounts of asset reuse.

Infinite already has a large amount of areas and environments we can see:

• Banished Structures - UNSC Structures - Forerunner Structures (overground) - Forerunner structures (underground) - the various biomes and sub-biomes under different day/night conditionsI’d also suspect given that we know the gameplay reveal last summer was from ‘hours’ into the campaign and appeared to be Chief’s first steps onto the ring, there may be other environments before that (e.g. derelict ships?).

I for one like seeing some famiiar locales suited for multiplayer so long as there is a a balance of different venues in universe that tell a story. Imagine returning to sword base and finding it glassed and scotched, banished structures and defensive positions added on to give more cover and make the map feel familiar but diffient.

I don’t mind if if it’s a couple. But let’s take Reach for example, when all your multiplayer maps are ripped from Campaign it feels lazy

I like the idea of being able to come across a MP map in the campaign. Hopefully the MP maps aren’t going to be the same layouts just ‘reskinned’ for Infinite. I feel like there should at least be a 1:1 ratio of reskinned classics to new designed maps. Some of these maps we have been playing for 10+ years…