MP is the soul of Halo. Not SP or Spartan Ops

I feel like the multiplayer in Halo 4 was added last. I’m going to say this bluntly but most people play the single player campaigns in Halo once if that. Then everyone goes on to multiplayer and spends the next few years playing match making.

In this game we are constantly getting Spartan Op updates and cut scenes and a story line when I’m sure the majority of the community doesn’t really care about this. The focus should be on the multiplayer experience. This is where all of the resources should be going. There have been so many updates to Spartan Ops but none to matchmaking.

If all of the efforts put into Spartan Ops were spent making more maps for multiplayer we would have a much better game. For Halo 5 make the multiplayer the most important part of designing the game. Make tons of maps. This is what people want (the majority at least).

Halo is both a Multiplayer and Singleplayer game.

Singleplayer has replaybility, (less then other Halo games but its still there).

Also, matchmaking has received some minor updates, more so then Spartan OPs as new episodes are just added.

I’d rather have a well balanced multiplayer and singleplayer component then just a multiplayer game with a singleplayer campaign tagged along (Battlefield 3).

> …There have been so many updates to Spartan Ops but none to matchmaking.
>
> If all of the efforts put into Spartan Ops were spent making more maps for multiplayer we would have a much better game…

Really? They haven’t added any gametypes, or even just recently stated they will be adding some pretty popular ones? And a second map pack is already almost out.

I swear some people expect way too much from developers nowadays. Not everything can be catered specifically to your needs.

While MP is important, I’m digging the Spartan Ops and the Campaign’s story and the overall cutscene quality has been amazing. But then again I’m a literate adult who has read a book for reasons other than high school book reports and has a weekly D&D session with a group of his buddies.

To be honest I probably wouldn’t have ever gotten into Halo if it weren’t for the in-game universe and the overall story, so seeing it get more attention is cool with me.

> > …There have been so many updates to Spartan Ops but none to matchmaking.
> >
> > If all of the efforts put into Spartan Ops were spent making more maps for multiplayer we would have a much better game…
>
> Really? They haven’t added any gametypes, or even just recently stated they will be adding some pretty popular ones? And a second map pack is already almost out.
>
> I swear some people expect way too much from developers nowadays. Not everything can be catered specifically to your needs.

They have a name for this: Entitlement. A lot of kids born in the mid to late 80s onwards have this issue because of parenting methods that gained popularity at the time and grew to be more common in the 90s and are popular still today. Basically, spoiled brats who think life is handed to them thinking any shortcoming is unacceptable.

I’d rather play Firefight or Spartan Ops than PVP game types. I’ve played my share from Quake Arena, Descent, all the way to Battlefield 3 and Halo 3. But I’ve never had more fun than playing social games against the Ai like in Left 4 Dead or Limited Firefight , or even free roaming in Liberty City being chased by the police with fun vocal groups. In fact I’m more likely to get a friend request in a Reach Firefight match than some MP lobby with trash talkers and that one annoying blaring 45 year old jack hole telling everyone they suck. Not everyone plays Halo to compete. Shocker huh?

Sorry OP, MP may be the soul of Halo, but Campaign, Spartan Ops and Firefight are the -Yoink!- parts that make the game worth while.

> I’d rather play Firefight or Spartan Ops than PVP game types. I’ve played my share from Quake Arena, Descent, all the way to Battlefield 3 and Halo 3. But I’ve never had more fun than playing social games against the Ai like in Left 4 Dead or Limited Firefight , or even free roaming in Liberty City being chased by the police with fun vocal groups. In fact I’m more likely to get a friend request in a Reach Firefight match than some MP lobby with trash talkers and that one annoying blaring 45 year old jack hole telling everyone they suck. Not everyone plays Halo to compete. Shocker huh?
>
> Sorry OP, MP may be the soul of Halo, but Campaign, Spartan Ops and Firefight are the -Yoink!- parts that make the game worth while.

Yes I agree that Single player and Spartan Ops/Firefight are -Yoink!- parts to the game too. I realize that everyone has different tastes.

I’m just saying that a lot of the effort put into all the Spartan Op content could have been more focused on multiplayer. I mean there’s like 6 episodes of content with 5 missions each and all of these cut scenes. They could have released half of that and focused a bit more on the MP which at launch is sucking right now. I’m just saying that at launch they should have focused a little bit more effort on MP rather than Spartan Ops.

CE’s MP was added at the last minute, not H4’s MP.

As for feeling MP is being ignored, 3 maps for DLC were released after the first month, many map and a few button glitches have been fixed without the need for a TU, playlists are rotated for player feedback and SWAT showing how being very popular means one stays.

And just so you know, Halo’s soul isn’t in the features, it’s in the players. Since there are players in all 3 modes of Halo, both online and off; That’s campaign co-op, competitive co-op and competitive head-to-head, the soul of Halo is far from singular.

Single player is what drew me to Halo way back with CE. The multi-player has always been a nice addition that adds some longevity to the play, but it is not the primary reason I pick up Halo games. 343i’s attention to the campaign gave me faith in them (I do wish it lasted a bit longer though). If the developers were to focus all of their resources on multi-player I’d afraid the story would just become an afterthought (i.e. COD, Battlefield).

You’ve got to remember that what makes Halo great is the variety of players that enjoy it. Our community is made up of all types - Campaign players, Matchmaking players, Spartan Ops players, Customs people, and the creative Forgers. 343i’s unenviable job is to try to keep every group happy without sacrificing too much.

Multi-player can be patched and updated post release in order to address issues. If the campaign was poor upon the release of the game they would lose a large number of fans. Just my 2 cents.

i read the first thing . “multiplayer is the soul of halo” and just didnt even bother reading anymore, i’ll just say, the story and campaigns the soul, multiplayer doesnt come first in halo, thats silly

> > I’d rather play Firefight or Spartan Ops than PVP game types. I’ve played my share from Quake Arena, Descent, all the way to Battlefield 3 and Halo 3. But I’ve never had more fun than playing social games against the Ai like in Left 4 Dead or Limited Firefight , or even free roaming in Liberty City being chased by the police with fun vocal groups. In fact I’m more likely to get a friend request in a Reach Firefight match than some MP lobby with trash talkers and that one annoying blaring 45 year old jack hole telling everyone they suck. Not everyone plays Halo to compete. Shocker huh?
> >
> > Sorry OP, MP may be the soul of Halo, but Campaign, Spartan Ops and Firefight are the -Yoink!- parts that make the game worth while.
>
> Yes I agree that Single player and Spartan Ops/Firefight are -Yoink!- parts to the game too. I realize that everyone has different tastes.
>
> I’m just saying that a lot of the effort put into all the Spartan Op content could have been more focused on multiplayer. I mean there’s like 6 episodes of content with 5 missions each and all of these cut scenes. They could have released half of that and focused a bit more on the MP which at launch is sucking right now. I’m just saying that at launch they should have focused a little bit more effort on MP rather than Spartan Ops.

The only thing I would say is look to what makes Microsoft money. 343 is a division of it. MP map packs sell… But you know what makes them more money… Gold Memberships. Spartan Ops is basically a gentle nudge to all silver members to make the leap to Gold. I’m sure Halo 6 will have a Multiplayer for the ages after Halo 5 sales suffer fallout damage from how Halo 4 turned out if 343 keeps saying next month, next month, it’ll be great and that fails to happen.

Funny part about the Halo franchise is that CE was originally going to be a RTS, thats kinda of why halo wars came out.MP was just a slap on originally, but due to the simplicity of the game mechanics, it become popular.In short it has evolved to what it is now from a simple whim that could of easily been nothing more than a generic RTS.

MP is indeed fun, but i wouldnt exactly call it the “soul” of halo.Your opinion is your own, so ill express mine.

To me Halo’s “Soul” is the lore,the story,and the characters.Without the story Halo would be nothing but a Soulless FPS arena shooter that would of died out quickly.Good example is Unreal Tournament, was fun as hell but after the second one i lost interest.Thats a arena shooter who’s “soul” is the MP.

> I feel like the multiplayer in Halo 4 was added last. I’m going to say this bluntly but most people play the single player campaigns in Halo once if that. Then everyone goes on to multiplayer and spends the next few years playing match making.
>
> <mark>In this game we are constantly getting Spartan Op updates</mark> and cut scenes and a story line when I’m sure the majority of the community doesn’t really care about this. The focus should be on the multiplayer experience. This is where all of the resources should be going. There have been so many updates to Spartan Ops but none to matchmaking.
>
> If all of the efforts put into Spartan Ops were spent making more maps for multiplayer we would have a much better game. For Halo 5 make the multiplayer the most important part of designing the game. Make tons of maps. This is what people want (the majority at least).

been like a month in a half since spartan ops got updated. And we get weekly match making updates.

like, whats wrong with your thought process? And spartan ops might not be a major draw for everyone. But addition bonus content is always a good thing.

> Funny part about the Halo franchise is that CE was originally going to be a RTS, thats kinda of why halo wars came out.MP was just a slap on originally, but due to the simplicity of the game mechanics, it become popular.In short it has evolved to what it is now from a simple whim that could of easily been nothing more than a generic RTS.
>
>
> MP is indeed fun, but i wouldnt exactly call it the “soul” of halo.Your opinion is your own, so ill express mine.
>
> To me Halo’s “Soul” is the lore,the story,and the characters.Without the story Halo would be nothing but a Soulless FPS arena shooter that would of died out quickly.Good example is Unreal Tournament, was fun as hell but after the second one i lost interest.Thats a arena shooter who’s “soul” is the MP.

indeed, have you read any of the books? usually quality works. I did not like the flood tho. and first strike was bloated and HONESTLY, convoluted and meant to be stupid as hell IMO. i dunno i didnt like it that much lol

> indeed, have you read any of the books? usually quality works. I did not like the flood tho. and first strike was bloated and HONESTLY, convoluted and meant to be stupid as hell IMO. i dunno i didnt like it that much lol

I love the books, aside from a certain author putting way too much focus on describing the gore of an impact when trying to make it seem brutal, but the extent to which they go just makes it boring. You know who I mean.

> Single player is what drew me to Halo way back with CE. The multi-player has always been a nice addition that adds some longevity to the play, but it is not the primary reason I pick up Halo games. 343i’s attention to the campaign gave me faith in them (I do wish it lasted a bit longer though). If the developers were to focus all of their resources on multi-player I’d afraid the story would just become an afterthought (i.e. COD, Battlefield).
>
> You’ve got to remember that what makes Halo great is the variety of players that enjoy it. Our community is made up of all types - Campaign players, Matchmaking players, Spartan Ops players, Customs people, and the creative Forgers. 343i’s unenviable job is to try to keep every group happy without sacrificing too much.
>
> Multi-player can be patched and updated post release in order to address issues. If the campaign was poor upon the release of the game they would lose a large number of fans. Just my 2 cents.

the last 3 COD’s have a better story than halo 4 and crappy multiplayer all but destroyed IW be smart you only have so much you can do in the campaign

Ever heard of buying for the campaign and staying for the MP.

> the last 3 COD’s have a better story than halo 4 and crappy multiplayer all but destroyed IW be smart you only have so much you can do in the campaign

Call of Duty hasn’t has a plot worth even caring about since CoD 4, and even then it was only memorable for the first mission with the SAS and the atomic bomb sequence.

> As for feeling MP is being ignored, 3 maps for DLC were released after the first month, many map and a few button glitches have been fixed without the need for a TU,

Wut? Halo 4 has had 2 title updates already.

> > the last 3 COD’s have a better story than halo 4 and crappy multiplayer all but destroyed IW be smart you only have so much you can do in the campaign
>
> Call of Duty hasn’t has a plot worth even caring about since CoD 4, and even then it was only memorable for the first mission with the SAS and the atomic bomb sequence.

i’ve seen you and i don’t care enough to argue with you