most annoying part of making a map?

what is the most tedious part of making a map for you?

for me its placing weapons and grenades around the map

Most annoying part would be the limitations in terms of budgets and limited pieces (both in terms of numbers of each piece that can be placed and the variety of pieces available). Yes, I understand why there are such limitations but creatively, it’s very annoying.

The most tedious part would be weapon and spawn locations.

> Most annoying part would be the limitations in terms of budgets and limited pieces (both in terms of numbers of each piece that can be placed and the variety of pieces available). Yes, I understand why there are such limitations but creatively, it’s very annoying.
>
> The most tedious part would be weapon and spawn locations.

Agreed, its quite annoying that you have no real floor pieces and have to use alot of blocks/platforms for that.
Colosseum walls have that annoying ‘move’ bug when you reload a map.

spawns and objectives, enough said…

> spawns and objectives, enough said…

What he said 100x

Most tedious part for me? Well since I mostly do symmetry, it would be making the the other side in a mirrored perfection. Currently undergoing that right now.

Tedious? Spawns, Weapons and Objectives. Annoying? Getting it tested. Its a pain in the -Yoink- getting enough people to play a full game of Invasion without a bunch of people going AFK or quitting half way through, or betraying their team because its “fun” and so on.

> Most tedious part for me? Well since I mostly do symmetry, it would be making the the other side in a mirrored perfection. Currently undergoing that right now.

If you just go to the coordinates of 0/0 (which is located at the beachside cave entrance and make 0/0 the centre of your map, its very easy to make maps that are 100% symmetrical.
Ofc this only works for 100% forge piece maps because you have to go up to a height of 25-30 to avoid the cave and alaska or montana area.

When you accidentally save and quit rather than save the map.

For me, it’s trying to attain split-screen compatibility. If you’re even so much as decent at Forge, then budget and per-category limits won’t be an issue. Your biggest problem will be discoing. In full-screen, it happens after 505 objects, so hypothetically, 253 objects would induce it in two-player split (figure not tested!).

Bear in mind that I didn’t say “Forge objects”. I said “objects”. Players, corpses, weapons, grenades, and possibly even projectiles – these all contribute to discoing. So to keep your map stable in a typical 16-man game, you’ll need to reserve roughly 88 extra objects (16 players, 8 corpses, two weapons per body, two grenades per corpse) at minimum. Assuming the hypothetical figure from above is correct (which admittedly is a big assumption), this leaves you with a mere 165 Forge objects you can safely place on the map while avoiding disco in two-way split.

And that’s just damn pitiful.

well working on regular forge is one thing but i dont do that anymore, i only work with overlimited maps because it gives you a chance to get creative, Most annoying aspect “remakes” you have to be precise, beaver creek zanzibar mashup is proving really tedious, however when its my own creation, Spawns and kill boundries by far, ( i know people dont like lkill boundrys but i make my maps so that the players have fair advantages, like “infection”

> well working on regular forge is one thing but i dont do that anymore, i only work with overlimited maps because it gives you a chance to get creative, Most annoying aspect “remakes” you have to be precise, beaver creek zanzibar mashup is proving really tedious, however when its my own creation, Spawns and kill boundries by far, ( i know people dont like lkill boundrys but i make my maps so that the players have fair advantages, like “infection”

How do you get overlimited maps?

the person that uploaded them doesnt have them available anymore, all but 3 anyway, look up lord zedd or parooze my fileshare, lordcrusnik1986

> Tedious? Spawns, Weapons and Objectives. Annoying? Getting it tested. Its a pain in the Yoink! getting enough people to play a full game of Invasion without a bunch of people going AFK or quitting half way through, or betraying their team because its “fun” and so on.

you could join our testing lobby on sunday,

but my most tedious part is spawns.

> > Most tedious part for me? Well since I mostly do symmetry, it would be making the the other side in a mirrored perfection. Currently undergoing that right now.
>
> If you just go to the coordinates of 0/0 (which is located at the beachside cave entrance and make 0/0 the centre of your map, its very easy to make maps that are 100% symmetrical.
> Ofc this only works for 100% forge piece maps because you have to go up to a height of 25-30 to avoid the cave and alaska or montana area.

While that is a great trick, it’s not a possibility on my current project (It’s on Paradiso). I never said it was difficult, just tedious…

Losing inspiration when you’re half done, and just staring at it not knowing what to do… That’s always a real -Yoink-.

Spawns or finding spawns for any non red or blue team

Placing kill boundaries, by far. Spawns are alright, you drop them, make sure that the player isn’t staring at a wall or can be spawn-sniped or trapped. But for kill boundaries, I find myself going into customs a lot to test if the boundary actually went as far as it looks, but that little red line lies sometimes! I can usually find some safe spot on a building to jetpack up to then I have to reload the map in forge etc…

why can’t players just stop being camping/glitching/map-abusing whores and just play the game SHEESH! :stuck_out_tongue:

I would have to say confining your creativity to work with whats available.

My friend and I usually tag team our forge creations and have some ideas that always end up being way beyond what we are capable of within the games forge mode.

> But for kill boundaries, I find myself going into customs a lot to test if the boundary actually went as far as it looks, but that little red line lies sometimes! I can usually find some safe spot on a building to jetpack up to then I have to reload the map in forge etc…

Tip: the line is never off by more than 0.1wu. It appears to be a tenth of a unit too small when viewed from inside, and a tenth of a world unit too large when viewed from outside (or is it the other way around?), so you can view it from both sides and then average them to find where it is. If all else fails, always make it slightly larger than the platform or ledge it is supposed to cover.