More Vehicular Combat For Halo 4

In the past few days i have replayed through the halo 3 campaign with a friend and it struck me just how fun and well-designed the vehicle combat was, and also how much of it there was. Levels such as the Ark, The Covenant, and the 4th and 5th missions where you fight the Scarab (sorry for bad memory) were full of vehicles such as mongeese, warthogs and ghosts. The ark and Covenant missions had large-scale battles including Scorpions, Wraiths and Hornets. I really, really enjoyed these missions and it made me realize that these were missing from Halo reach.

Halo Reach consisted of mainly small skirmishes. The mission with the Falcon in the city and Long Night of Solace were impressive and good fun but what else was there? A short drive in civilian vehicles in Winter Contingency, a short mongoose run in the final mission, and a few scattered parts during other missions. I don’t mean to sound ungrateful because i was amazed by LNoS and i really enjoyed flying the falcon but that was about it. The mission that looked like it would be a huge clash of vehicles was Tip Of The Spear. The cutscene prior to the mission really got me going for a huge showdown with the covenant. What we got instead - A boring side mission to take out AA guns while the huge battle was shown in the distance.

Reach was mostly small infantry battles with little scale. The same can be said in multiplayer, where not a single vehicle can be found in the 4v4 maps, compared to Halo 3’s mongeese, warthogs and ghosts.

What i’m trying to say is, Vehicles are an important aspect of Halo’s gameplay and are incredibly fun to drive and fight with. 343i, please keep this in mind and have some huge-scale vehicle warfare in Halo 4.

Because i know some people are incredibly lazy - TLDR; Halo 3 had lots of fun vehicular combat whilst Halo Reach had little. Halo 4 should have a lot of battles with vehicles.

We need more missions like Outskirts from Halo 2. Remember how it was a gritty, challenging battle in the allys which turned into a long but fun vehicle battle.

Reach was severely lacking in terms of vehicular action. I really hope they rectify that mistake in Halo 4. Bigger environments to drive around, and a lot more vehicle on vehicle action would be most welcome. The Ark, Quarantine Zone, Outskirts/Metropolis, Uplift Reserve, Covenant, and Assault on the Control Room, are great examples.

I’ve unfortunately only played a few missions on Halo 2 and none of Halo CE - thatll be changed come november :wink: - are there many vehicle sections in them? Even on ODST there were a lot. The banshee mission was very fun. If Halo 4 sees humanity fighting a brand new enemy, im hoping that means some completely new vehicles to use.

> I’ve unfortunately only played a few missions on Halo 2 and none of Halo CE - thatll be changed come november :wink: - are there many vehicle sections in them? Even on ODST there were a lot. The banshee mission was very fun. If Halo 4 sees humanity fighting a brand new enemy, im hoping that means some completely new vehicles to use.

Bring on the forunner vehicles?

I remember (this will make me sound old) when i first played Halo CE in 2001, (spoiler for you x iD WiLLIaMS) The first time i touched down on halo and got to drive a Warhog, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Since when do i get to drive a truck in a shooting game?

It was the start of a Niche, and i wish it to continue in Halo 4.

I want to see vehicle usage at about the same level as Halo 3. Halo Reach simply didn’t have enough parts in which we could use a Warthog or Scorpion, and in my mind, Halo 2 had too much vehicle usage; it became a little dull, and, in some parts, it didn’t make much sense (sending waves of Ghosts to take out a tank. Result? A lot of destroyed vehicles and dead Elites). Halo 3 and ODST got the balance perfect.

> I want to see vehicle usage at about the same level as Halo 3. Halo Reach simply didn’t have enough parts in which we could use a Warthog or Scorpion, and in my mind, Halo 2 had too much vehicle usage; it became a little dull, and, in some parts, it didn’t make much sense (sending waves of Ghosts to take out a tank. Result? A lot of destroyed vehicles and dead Elites). Halo 3 and ODST got the balance perfect.

This. Halo Reach severely lacked vehicular combat, another reason why its campaign was one of the weakest in the series. Halo 2 and 3 got it right, especially Halo 3.

Halo 2 had the best vehicular combat by far.

> Halo 2 had the best vehicular combat by far.

Agreed. You got to drive every single vehicle in the game, both UNSC and Covenant. And the best part is that vehicle combat didn’t feel superimposed like in Reach. It felt natural. It felt right. And it was a hell of a blast!

I love playing The Covenant on Halo 3, flying in the Hornet, then taking out those Scarabs. I would even let a Marine drop me in, not the greatest idea. I also loved the final level, driving thru total armaggeddon in a Warthog, I felt epic.

the greatest mistake with vehicles on Reach is not having us fight a Scarab.

When Carter killed the Scarab I was like; “Shame, wasted a perfectly good fight”