More Stealth Elements

For a game series with an emphasis on “sandbox-style” gameplay, you would think that stealth would be a more viable option. We haven’t really gotten to be stealthy except in scripted moments. Now I’m not saying that Halo’s stealth elements need to be on par with games like Dishonored (a great game by the way) or Splinter Cell. Nor am I saying that you should be able to sneak your way past every enemy all the time. But, in most encounters, enemies will always know that you are in the area no matter what. And even if you can catch them off guard, you usually only get the chance to stealth kill a few enemies before the rest are alerted.
It’s kind of hard to put what I’m trying to say into words, but this is basically the jist of it: I think the sniper should go back to being unheard by enemies like it was in CE (not in multiplayer of course). I think that stealth should be a more viable gameplay option. You should be able to stealth kill all the enemies in an area or sneak past them if you can (although I note again, not in EVERY encounter). Maybe it can even have gameplay benefits. I just think it would add more player choice to encounters.

And here you have an area to innovate in for Halo 5!

OT: I agree.

Great idea!

this is a pretty good idea, I’d love optional stealth, but stealth doesn’t really work that well from a first-person view.

> this is a pretty good idea, I’d love optional stealth, but stealth doesn’t really work that well from a first-person view.

I’ve seen it pulled off quite well in Dishonored and the Crysis series… That said, I’d like for the ODST-specific weapons (M6C SOCOM and Silenced SMG) to return and play as more stealth-oriented additions to the sandbox. They could work beautifully with Active Camo (in whatever form it may be in the next game).

Great idea. I sometimes myself attempt to sneak through and assassinate enemies.
But its like the AI always know where u are

The bullet trail would have to be thick. It was easy to spot in CE

Edit: didn’t know you meant campaign.

Good idea OP for some campaign variety.

Agreed. The last stealth mission in Halo was from Reach.
And it wasn’t all that great.

Since in the next Halo game, we know Chief is hiding from someone or something, I feel a stealth mission would fit in perfectly.

I thought it read “Stealth Enemies”, and i was thinking “NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE”
That would be an experience in the terrifying.

But stealth missions would be cool. But what if the enemy AIs were trying to counter stealth you? Like you and them are all invisible and you’re trying to outmanoeuvre each other

One thing that would really help stealth is if Active Camo would only work when moving as opposed to not working when moving. Crouch walking would be optimal for this. Then we need a lot of options for stealth kills like silenced variants of existing weapons (pistol, DMR, Sniper…) and plenty assassination opportunities. There should be a system that identifies whether your enemies are on to you or not, and you should have to quickly kill enemies so they don’t report you through the COMs (which would throw stealth out of the window for the rest of the mission). There should also be a symbol on the screen to tell players if they are safe to walk freely or if there are enemies around (like an eye at the side of your HUD). It would be fun, especially if we get an achievement to complete a whole mission without being detected.

EDIT: Crouch walking should make you less prone to being detected, as should staying in cover.

Would definitely love to see more of this in campaign.

Possibly making entire levels requiring stealth would be pretty cool.

Thank you!!!
I’ve wanted this ever since “The Truth and Reconciliation” back in CE.
Maybe They could update the AA system and different forms of stealth could be utilized each with its own drawback, and enemy AI could have a MGS like awareness phases that determine behavior. But overall a system similar to the Crysis series should be the model for FPS stealth elements if you ask me.

I am 100% in favor of having more realistic AI, where if you move slowly (so as to be quiet) out of their range of vision they will not see you.

That being said, I would still prefer not to clutter game mechanics be introducing stealth gameplay beyond possibly a very limited shadow/light mechanic that would more or less only come into play in areas that the developers intentionally wanted you to be able to scope things out.

> this is a pretty good idea, I’d love optional stealth, but stealth doesn’t really work that well from a first-person view.

Play Dishonored bro.

> Great idea. I sometimes myself attempt to sneak through and assassinate enemies.
> <mark>But its like the AI always know where u are</mark>

I think it has something to do with Master Chief’s giant metal quarter-ton Grunt-stomping boots. He hasn’t taken them off in years, the smelly boot rash alone is probably a dead giveaway.

> > Great idea. I sometimes myself attempt to sneak through and assassinate enemies.
> > <mark>But its like the AI always know where u are</mark>
>
> I think it has something to do with Master Chief’s giant metal quarter-ton Grunt-stomping boots. He hasn’t taken them off in years, the smelly boot rash alone is probably a dead giveaway.

Lol but seriously, in the books the Spartans have been described as moving silently despite their armor.

Agreed.

I like to either take a couple guys out without the rest knowing or just sneak past them all.I always wanted more stealth options in halo.

Please read it people!!!

In Spartan Ops have a mission in this style, the name is “NEED TO KNOW,” you who want to play that style must necessarily take a look. There’s a way to kill all the enemies in a stealthy way. Do the following: kill all the first grunts on the way (in a stealthy way, of course), then go to the right and kill the Zealot on the computer, then kill the Elite Warrior (yellow) in the middle of the stage (just give it a fast beat do not press the button to hit, hit fast) then immediately kill the Elite Storm on the left side of where you entered (hidden behind the rocks), and to finalize kill all grunts stealthily.

Only the first part of the mission gives way to do this. The rest is giving same shot. But it gives you an idea of what you want for Halo 5.

> For a game series with an emphasis on “sandbox-style” gameplay, you would think that stealth would be a more viable option. We haven’t really gotten to be stealthy except in scripted moments. Now I’m not saying that Halo’s stealth elements need to be on par with games like Dishonored (a great game by the way) or Splinter Cell. Nor am I saying that you should be able to sneak your way past every enemy all the time. But, in most encounters, enemies will always know that you are in the area no matter what. And even if you can catch them off guard, you usually only get the chance to stealth kill a few enemies before the rest are alerted.
> It’s kind of hard to put what I’m trying to say into words, but this is basically the jist of it: I think the sniper should go back to being unheard by enemies like it was in CE (not in multiplayer of course). I think that stealth should be a more viable gameplay option. You should be able to stealth kill all the enemies in an area or sneak past them if you can (although I note again, not in EVERY encounter). Maybe it can even have gameplay benefits. I just think it would add more player choice to encounters.

And those scripted moments are just plain terrible.

Honestly, there is no true stealth anymore. It was in Halo 1, but now, if you fire a shot, throw a grenade, or enter a vehicle, everyone in the freaking room will be onto you.

Likewise, sleeping Grunts are a tragedy. If you wake one up, they all wake up, they never go back to sleep. And if an Elite sees you, even if he doesn’t do his alert animation, they all wake up. This is especially evident in Spartan Ops Episode 6 Chapter 1.