More Open World, RPG, Live Service Elements in H6?

Here is how I could see Halo Infinite existing, in 3 primary game “modes”:

Traditional Halo Campaign:
I believe the campaign formula will be mostly unchanged from previous Halo games. I think people love Halo campaigns as they are and 343 would be foolish to totally throw that away. Obviously I hope the story is vastly improved from Halo 5’s and 343 has stated that they’ll have Master Chief be the focus. I do however believe there will be more large area missions that involve some freedom to explore and choose your path to the next objective. Think of the Halo Combat Evolved missions Halo and The Silent Cartographer. I do think if 343 wants to, they can structure parts of the campaign more like Halo 3 ODST in terms of an “open world”. I think about those 2 weird missions in Halo 5 where you’re running around talking to people at “hubs” and wonder about the original intent there, but I’ll discuss where I think the meat of open world, RPG, and live services would come into play in the next section…

New Live Service Open World with RPG Elements:
Imagine Destiny’s approach to a live service game and throw it into the Halo universe. I think it sounds great, and I don’t think it’s that much of a stretch to take Warzone Firefight and put it into a shared open world with events and missions/quests. Imagine creating your custom “multi-player” spartan and being put on a Halo ring where you have a base (akin to the Tower in Destiny). Maybe you have a menu where an AI presents a map and/or quests and tasks for you, or maybe you have various characters that come and go offering quests and rewards in this hub more like Destiny. Imagine the entire ring is an open world and that there are all sorts of things to find and do scattered everywhere. You can get/earn loot like Destiny for new armor and customization with some of the rewards being random and some being fixed. Basically you take the current REQ pack system and work it into this. For example, maybe there’s a facility that used to make a specific vehicle (or even vehicle variant) and it’s overrun with Flood or some enemy and there’s a quest to go clear it out that unlocks that vehicle to be in your arsenal to take and use from home base. Armor, weapons, vehicles, and powerups could all work into this system. 343 might have work to do to ensure everybody isn’t constantly just running around with power weapons, but perhaps ammo could regulate that for them. I think if they wanted to, they could even make armor be more than cosmetic in this mode. They could even expand on this mode in the future with other locations that you have to access by earning your own Pelican or similar type of transport that’s needed to travel between these large locations.

Traditional Halo Multiplayer:
Nothing too much to say here. Everybody has their own opinions on the gameplay mechanics that they want (Halo 5 mobility VS earlier Halo 2/3 era games), but I’m not going to dive into my thoughts on that. I think here you’ll see social playlists, ranked/competitive playlists of arena, Warzone, and Firefight modes just like Halo 5 currently offers. I do hope 343 creates a “pro” competitive playlist where the eSports crowd gets their way for gameplay to compete. Unlike Destiny, I think the multiplayer will continue to focus on being balanced and having a level playing field in arena just like Halo 5. Aside from cosmetics, I don’t think gear from the previous mode I described will carry over to arena here, but it certainly might for Warzone games.

Some references related to my thoughts:
Halo Infinite E3 2018 Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzwddyOeiXo
343 Blog about Slipspace Engine: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/our-journey-beginsWhen we started this project, the team’s vision for the game was ambitious – so much so that we knew we had to build new tech to fully realize our goals for Halo Infinite
Live Service Game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeIHEMsxJv4
Art Style and Design Approach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4cu5XtwLfY
Pro’s thoughts on Halo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7qrx6yB2Bc

Hey Op While I love the idea of an Open World MMO style element being brought to halo. Heres the thing. It is a great idea one ive had in my head for while. The problem is seeing as how Infinite will focus on chief. I doubt it would become open world anytime soon. Reason is the intent is to finish chiefs story. Most likely if they do in fact continue halo after chiefs story. Buy all means id love to see an open world halo but instead of it being a 3rd person rpg like World of Warcraft. Id rather it be an open world first person shooter kinda like destiney. But where im making my own spartan or elite charachter who starts off as a fresh recruit to the unsc or swords of sanghelios. Good idea though perhaps we will see it after Halo Infinite

Open World: No
RPG elements: Nope
Live Service: God no

None of those things belong in a core Halo game. Go nuts with spinoffs, but all it will serve to do is detract from the core experience trying to stuff all this into a mainline Halo game. Crysis 1 is about as open I would ever be willing to see the game go. ODST’s open world was basically window dressing, an engaging interlude in between the real meat of the game and it was never meant to support more than that aside from a terminal scavenger hunt.

I’ve never gone through a Halo campaign or played a multiplayer match and thought: “you know what this needs? more busywork…”

RPG? No way bro!
This f* RPG elements are f* everywere man, I’m so much tired of them

> 2533275022531756;4:
> RPG? No way bro!
> This f* RPG elements are f* everywere man, I’m so much tired of them

Have to agree. Large open areas like what we’re expecting with Metro Exodus would be great, but I don’t want the game to get any closer to resembling an RPG.

I don’t want rpg or mmo elements but I’m not wholeheartedly against an opeworld approached. I mean, I thought it worked well in ODST. Or, at the very least, have larger campaign missions that emphasize exploration like in CE.

> 2533274819446242;3:
> Open World: No
> RPG elements: Nope
> Live Service: God no
>
> None of those things belong in a core Halo game. Go nuts with spinoffs, but all it will serve to do is detract from the core experience trying to stuff all this into a mainline Halo game. Crysis 1 is about as open I would ever be willing to see the game go. ODST’s open world was basically window dressing, an engaging interlude in between the real meat of the game and it was never meant to support more than that aside from a terminal scavenger hunt.
>
> I’ve never gone through a Halo campaign or played a multiplayer match and thought: “you know what this needs? more busywork…”

i agree so much with this. i want a halo open wordl i had a blast with ODST, but not in the main story, hey! 343i can always go with reach again and lets not forget ONYX. the novels are there for something

While I certainly hear a lot of your opinions loud and clear, I don’t feel like most of you even understood my post. I do not want the core Halo experience to change. I am basically suggesting the tried and true Halo campaign and multiplayer we know and love remain intact, but a new AND SEPARATE open world mode be introduced as a live service. I personally think it would be great to have something new to Halo that adds longevity without detracting from the core Halo experience. I’d personally be much more invested in pursuing new unlocks (vehicles and gear) if most of them were more than the REQ burn cards that last a few minutes in Warzone (which is the case for the vast majority of Halo 5 REQ packs). I think a live service multiplayer/shared open world mode with RPG elements would accomplish this nicely. I think players that have never gotten into Halo, but love some other live service games might just get their feet wet in the Halo universe.

> 2533274921115718;7:
> > 2533274819446242;3:
> > Open World: No
> > RPG elements: Nope
> > Live Service: God no
> >
> > None of those things belong in a core Halo game. Go nuts with spinoffs, but all it will serve to do is detract from the core experience trying to stuff all this into a mainline Halo game. Crysis 1 is about as open I would ever be willing to see the game go. ODST’s open world was basically window dressing, an engaging interlude in between the real meat of the game and it was never meant to support more than that aside from a terminal scavenger hunt.
> >
> > I’ve never gone through a Halo campaign or played a multiplayer match and thought: “you know what this needs? more busywork…”
>
> i agree so much with this. i want a halo open wordl i had a blast with ODST, but not in the main story, hey! 343i can always go with reach again and lets not forget ONYX. the novels are there for something

If you read my post, I never suggested any of this for the main story. I did suggest some more open missions like Combat Evolved. All these other elements I think belong in a separate new mode that’s not playing traditional Halo MP or chief’s campaign.

If they’re going to do Open World, they have to swing for the fences and make something completely groundbreaking. Please, for the love of God, DO NOT do the Destiny style ‘open world’, where it’s not open world at all, and its just a few lazy ‘areas’ that are separated by loading screens. That kind of ‘open world’ is super lame.

If they can’t pull of a truly massive open world with next gen tech, then I’d rather they just stick to a lengthy linear campaign structure tbh.

> 2533274814282332;10:
> If they’re going to do Open World, they have to swing for the fences and make something completely groundbreaking. Please, for the love of God, DO NOT do the Destiny style ‘open world’, where it’s not open world at all, and its just a few lazy ‘areas’ that are separated by loading screens. That kind of ‘open world’ is super lame.
>
> If they can’t pull of a truly massive open world with next gen tech, then I’d rather they just stick to a lengthy linear campaign structure tbh.

Size isn’t everything. A game that’s just your typical Ubisoft open world times ten is not groundbreaking. A bigger open world is not necessarily even better. For example, the Just Cause franchise has some of the biggest worlds out there, but it’s plagued by the fact that for the most part, there is nothing interesting in most parts of the map. There are many smaller open world games out there that make for more interesting exploration. The quality of an open world is not determined by its size, but how much interesting stuff there is to find and do.

Open world games are really hard to make. And frankly, I haven’t seen anything that’d suggest 343i would be able to create anything but a fmediocre open world game. They don’t have any experience with open world games, which is why I’d rather have them make a linear campaign: because that’s something they at least have experience with.

> 2696128169785407;8:
> While I certainly hear a lot of your opinions loud and clear, I don’t feel like most of you even understood my post. I do not want the core Halo experience to change. I am basically suggesting the tried and true Halo campaign and multiplayer we know and love remain intact, but a new AND SEPARATE open world mode be introduced as a live service. I personally think it would be great to have something new to Halo that adds longevity without detracting from the core Halo experience. I’d personally be much more invested in pursuing new unlocks (vehicles and gear) if most of them were more than the REQ burn cards that last a few minutes in Warzone (which is the case for the vast majority of Halo 5 REQ packs). I think a live service multiplayer/shared open world mode with RPG elements would accomplish this nicely. I think players that have never gotten into Halo, but love some other live service games might just get their feet wet in the Halo universe.

Game development doesn’t happen in a vacuum. Development time and resources are not infinite, inevitably the RPG, open world, live service malarkey is going to cause problems for the other parts of the game. Warzone alone had huge effect on Halo 5 and it was not nearly large an endeavor as what you are suggesting.

It suffers the same problem as people suggesting that 343 “just do both” classic and modern Halo gameplay with Infinite. Just do two game’s worth of design on the same amount of resources… it simply isn’t practical.

> 2533274814282332;10:
> If they’re going to do Open World, they have to swing for the fences and make something completely groundbreaking. Please, for the love of God, DO NOT do the Destiny style ‘open world’, where it’s not open world at all, and its just a few lazy ‘areas’ that are separated by loading screens. That kind of ‘open world’ is super lame.
>
> If they can’t pull of a truly massive open world with next gen tech, then I’d rather they just stick to a lengthy linear campaign structure tbh.

game confirmed for current gen xbox

> 2533274825830455;11:
> > 2533274814282332;10:
> > If they’re going to do Open World, they have to swing for the fences and make something completely groundbreaking. Please, for the love of God, DO NOT do the Destiny style ‘open world’, where it’s not open world at all, and its just a few lazy ‘areas’ that are separated by loading screens. That kind of ‘open world’ is super lame.
> >
> > If they can’t pull of a truly massive open world with next gen tech, then I’d rather they just stick to a lengthy linear campaign structure tbh.
>
> Size isn’t everything. A game that’s just your typical Ubisoft open world times ten is not groundbreaking. A bigger open world is not necessarily even better. For example, the Just Cause franchise has some of the biggest worlds out there, but it’s plagued by the fact that for the most part, there is nothing interesting in most parts of the map. There are many smaller open world games out there that make for more interesting exploration. The quality of an open world is not determined by its size, but how much interesting stuff there is to find and do.
>
> Open world games are really hard to make. And frankly, I haven’t seen anything that’d suggest 343i would be able to create anything but a fmediocre open world game. They don’t have any experience with open world games, which is why I’d rather have them make a linear campaign: because that’s something they at least have experience with.

I wasnt talking about map size, I was talking about project scope and ambition. If they’re going to do an open world game then it better be more ambitious and well thought out than anything we’ve seen, or else I dont really think it’s going to work, and dont think it’s going to be worth changing Halo for.

I dont care if the open world size is the biggest in history, or if its average. If it’s not massively ambitious and well thought, and is instead lazy and sectioned off by loading screens like Destiny, then theres no point in making the campaign open world at all.

If given the choice between the two, I’d rather they stick to linear storytelling. But from every hint and theme shown in the reveal trailer, I would bet they’re going with an open world concept.

> 2533274819446242;12:
> > 2696128169785407;8:
> > While I certainly hear a lot of your opinions loud and clear, I don’t feel like most of you even understood my post. I do not want the core Halo experience to change. I am basically suggesting the tried and true Halo campaign and multiplayer we know and love remain intact, but a new AND SEPARATE open world mode be introduced as a live service. I personally think it would be great to have something new to Halo that adds longevity without detracting from the core Halo experience. I’d personally be much more invested in pursuing new unlocks (vehicles and gear) if most of them were more than the REQ burn cards that last a few minutes in Warzone (which is the case for the vast majority of Halo 5 REQ packs). I think a live service multiplayer/shared open world mode with RPG elements would accomplish this nicely. I think players that have never gotten into Halo, but love some other live service games might just get their feet wet in the Halo universe.
>
> Game development doesn’t happen in a vacuum. Development time and resources are not infinite, inevitably the RPG, open world, live service malarkey is going to cause problems for the other parts of the game. Warzone alone had huge effect on Halo 5 and it was not nearly large an endeavor as what you are suggesting.
>
> It suffers the same problem as people suggesting that 343 “just do both” classic and modern Halo gameplay with Infinite. Just do two game’s worth of design on the same amount of resources… it simply isn’t practical.

Agreed. You can’t expect 343 to stuff a variety of game types into a singe game. That would take several years longer than creating a single game at a time. It would be like releasing H3 and ODST in the same title and then throwing in Halo Wars as well. Instead, it would make more sense to create multiple games over several years. That way, you can have multiple titles that go into a variety of game types as opposed to releasing it all at once. Plus, you can release games every couple years as opposed to once every decade or so.

You also run into another problem when you release everything at once. If you release a single game and it gets bad reception, then you get to make corrections to the next release. If you push it all out at once, you can’t make adjustments until the next release a decade later. By that point, you’ve lost most of your fan base.

> 2696128169785407;8:
> While I certainly hear a lot of your opinions loud and clear, I don’t feel like most of you even understood my post. I do not want the core Halo experience to change. I am basically suggesting the tried and true Halo campaign and multiplayer we know and love remain intact, but a new AND SEPARATE open world mode be introduced as a live service. I personally think it would be great to have something new to Halo that adds longevity without detracting from the core Halo experience. I’d personally be much more invested in pursuing new unlocks (vehicles and gear) if most of them were more than the REQ burn cards that last a few minutes in Warzone (which is the case for the vast majority of Halo 5 REQ packs). I think a live service multiplayer/shared open world mode with RPG elements would accomplish this nicely. I think players that have never gotten into Halo, but love some other live service games might just get their feet wet in the Halo universe.

Just no. Why? Because I want to play a complete product. I do not like the way Destiny, or the Division, or GTA online does thing. I find boring and tedious to play for gear when all you do is repetitive gameplay for a ridiculously pre-determinate time period. I mean, that is what an MMO is and I don’t like MMOs because of this grind and I don’t want Halo to become that, not even in a spin off. Invest that time into making more SP missions in standard campaign, or find a few upgrades, like Crysis, where u keep them indefinitely. But most importantly, make a story that makes me want to replay the levels, like every Halo game, except 5, has made me want to do. Heck, finally add space battles, like Reach and 4, but more of it. Also, they need to start releasing DLC campaign missions, something that has been bothering me that was missing from previous Halo games. MP needs to be more like 2, 3, Reach, and 4’s BTB.

> 2533274819446242;12:
> > 2696128169785407;8:
> > While I certainly hear a lot of your opinions loud and clear, I don’t feel like most of you even understood my post. I do not want the core Halo experience to change. I am basically suggesting the tried and true Halo campaign and multiplayer we know and love remain intact, but a new AND SEPARATE open world mode be introduced as a live service. I personally think it would be great to have something new to Halo that adds longevity without detracting from the core Halo experience. I’d personally be much more invested in pursuing new unlocks (vehicles and gear) if most of them were more than the REQ burn cards that last a few minutes in Warzone (which is the case for the vast majority of Halo 5 REQ packs). I think a live service multiplayer/shared open world mode with RPG elements would accomplish this nicely. I think players that have never gotten into Halo, but love some other live service games might just get their feet wet in the Halo universe.
>
> Game development doesn’t happen in a vacuum. Development time and resources are not infinite, inevitably the RPG, open world, live service malarkey is going to cause problems for the other parts of the game. Warzone alone had huge effect on Halo 5 and it was not nearly large an endeavor as what you are suggesting.
>
> It suffers the same problem as people suggesting that 343 “just do both” classic and modern Halo gameplay with Infinite. Just do two game’s worth of design on the same amount of resources… it simply isn’t practical.

I agree with this, but Halo 5 came out in 2015 and it’s looking like 2019 may not happen either. I’m 100% on board with 343 taking their time to deliver a great Halo, but it seems to me that they should have extra development time to work on stuff. In terms of monetizing the game so it’s worthwhile for Microsoft, I think the extra development time for a live service mode would be worth it for them. More stuff to do in a game will be more players sticking with the game for longer, which likely means more money people will spend on microtransactions as well as more people interested in Game Pass subscriptions. Also keep in mind, a live service mode could be added to the game later (after launch) like Firefight was for Halo 5.

I will say this though: I’d much rather have a fantastic traditional campaign and multiplayer with nothing else than adding a new mode and everything just being mediocre.

> 2533274846260431;16:
> > 2696128169785407;8:
>
> Just no. Why? Because I want to play a complete product. I do not like the way Destiny, or the Division, or GTA online does thing. I find boring and tedious to play for gear when all you do is repetitive gameplay for a ridiculously pre-determinate time period. I mean, that is what an MMO is and I don’t like MMOs because of this grind and I don’t want Halo to become that, not even in a spin off. Invest that time into making more SP missions in standard campaign, or find a few upgrades, like Crysis, where u keep them indefinitely. But most importantly, make a story that makes me want to replay the levels, like every Halo game, except 5, has made me want to do. Heck, finally add space battles, like Reach and 4, but more of it. Also, they need to start releasing DLC campaign missions, something that has been bothering me that was missing from previous Halo games. MP needs to be more like 2, 3, Reach, and 4’s BTB.

• Complete product: I also want a complete product, but if we get a complete traditional Halo game along with a partially complete live service type mode that gets added at or after launch, I’m perfectly fine with that. - Content focus: I am 100% on board that having an amazing campaign that I want to replay. That is my #1 desire for any Halo game to get right. I do not enjoy grinding in games either and prefer to replay a great campaign rather than do a bunch of mundane tasks in a poorly conceived live service approach, but I would still love to see a well done open world live service mode for Halo and invest in my customized Spartan. I would love to see Halo add space battles in a bigger way than they did with Halo Reach (or Halo 4), but what I want showcased are the larger ships fighting each other, even if I’m just seeing it through the cockpit of my small fighter. I also really want to see Halo go underwater, both with Master Chief/infantry fights and vehicles. - Money for Microsoft (live service and DLC): In terms of monetizing the game so it’s worthwhile for Microsoft, I think the extra development time for a live service mode would be worth it for them. I think it would be a blast to have an open world sandbox to play around in and I’d sink more time into specifically “upgrading” my Spartan in such a mode instead of just playing Halo MP for fun and any cool, random REQ items I get are a bonus. I feel like the current method of unlocking everything through REQ packs that you earn by playing and what you get is entirely random needs an overhaul. I want to be able to work toward specific items in specific ways, which I think could tie very nicely into some RPG elements in a live service, open world mode. Even if they just keep Halo as traditional campaign and MP I really wish they’d make some specific achievements linked to gear unlocks (for example getting so many kills with a BR unlocks a new BR skin). I’d love to get more campaign missions and I’d be willing to pay for them as DLC, but it would have to be a worthwhile story that’s not part of the main storyline akin to a flashback of Blue Team or something like that - I don’t think it’s smart or fair to have the main storyline require DLC. I sincerely hope 343 keeps all MP maps free to all.

I’d love to see an open world Halo game with RPG elements but not with the Master Chief story line. I feel those elements would work best in another ODST game.