More meaningful levels: training

Leveling your spartan now doesn’t really mean a whole lot does it? It is normally just a gun or a perk that you likely don’t have any interest in using anyways.

I have any idea that will make every level you get significant, and worth every bit of your effort!

I call it your Spartan’s training. Every level up you receive you get 1 training credit. You allocate each credit to one of 4 types of training- physical training, scout training, weapons training, and technology training. Each has a theme to it and after a certain amount of points are allocated to a specific one, you get a milestone bonus.

Physical training- increases your Spartan’s speed, strength, and power. Each point allocated here slightly increases your Spartan’s movement speed a tad, increases jump height, and you take increasingly reduced damage. Milestones include unlocking acrobatic moves such rolling and climbing and more advanced and deadly melee strikes.

Scout training- improves your Spartan’s ability to gather and relay information, and stealthiness. Every point you put here lowers the distance you show up on enemy radar, brightens enemy foe tags eventually you will see them through thin surfaces, dims your tag to enemies, etc. milestones could include tagging enemies, a waypoint indicating what gun an enemy is holding popping up over their head.

Weapon training- all about training your spartan to be a super deadly shot. Each point you put in slightly increases you fire rate and decreases your spread with all weapons. Milestones include a magnetism boost, adjustable zooming, etc.

Technology training- trains your spartan to be more tec savy and improve on his armor abilities, tactical packages, and support upgrades. Per level bonuses vary, but could include longer AA duration and more powerful perks. Milestones can vary from perk to perk and AA to AA as well and could also be unlocking tec only perks and AAs.

You can allocate credits anyway you want between these, focusing on one or two or all four.

Well that’s the jist of it! So do you hope to see something like this in halo xb1 as well? What would your spartan be? A physical giant? A super scout? Some combo? Thanks for reading.

Sammy I got to say this would be a pretty neat thing if they were to do a halo rpg other than that I don’t think this could work.

I also wanted to add that I think its really awesome how you are always thinking up these ideas and proposing them no matter how much negative things are said you always seem kind and respectful when others do not.

Keep thinking up these ideas as I do really enjoy reading through them…even when I may not agree.

So for all that I thank you :D.

I think your idea has potential in a Co-Op mode.
In case 343i continues with the Spartan Fireteam theme in their next Co-Op mode (I hope there will be one, a great one :]) and focuses on squad based team play, I think your concept of specializing your Spartan could fit in there, since even in Spartan Fireteams each Spartan is individually specialized in a certain field.

I liked this in Fable, an RPG. I wouldn’t like this in a PvP shooter, Halo or not.

And you want this in multiplayer? Words can not even begin to express my feelings for this idea. This is Halo not Pokemon.

Apart from the obvious flaw in your idea, this would make the game extremely unbalanced. I shouldn’t be punished by players just because they have more playtime than me therefore have better shields ect.

Unlockables through leveling up should only ever be customization options that have no effect in matchmaking.

Before I go on topic:

This is Shootin Sammy you are talking to, not a member of 343. This isn’t the first time, nor will it be the last he will make a thread about something that obviously wouldn’t work in an Arena Shooter Halo game. Bear in mind that all you will be doing is bumping it up.

Don’t bother explaining why it wouldn’t work. Dozens of threads have been done by him, all ending with everybody trying to figure out what is going through his head. Let it drop if the idea sucks, just like everything else. He isn’t a developer of 343 Industries, and I seriously doubt they would even consider anyone’s ideas on this forum, including the creator of this thread. To many people on the forum, he’s a troll. If you see him as such, DO NOT POST ON THIS THREAD! Back out of the thread AND POST SOMEWHERE ELSE, and let the thread sink!

Again, any attempt of convincing him otherwise is completely futile. Let the thread sink. All you will be doing is bumping his post, and kick other topics that probably deserve more discussion than this one.

On Topic: I can understand a Training mode to teach players the mechanics of the game. However, we shouldn’t be needing points to be grinding time away before we can actually have fun.

This idea wouldn’t work. In an RPG, maybe. In Multiplayer, no. This wouldn’t do anyone any favors. Players need to be functional at the START, not later after having their -Yoinks!- kicked 30 games down the road.

Sammy, I want my guy to be functional AT THE START, and not have my guy kicked around because I made the wrong choice days ago. In an RPG setting where everyone worked together, this is a good idea. Against other players, this is a mess. This wouldn’t be remotely balanced at all. It’s just overall a bad idea to have in multiplayer.

> I think your idea has potential in a Co-Op mode.
> In case 343i continues with the Spartan Fireteam theme in their next Co-Op mode (I hope there will be one, a great one :]) and focuses on squad based team play, I think your concept of specializing your Spartan could fit in there, since even in Spartan Fireteams each Spartan is individually specialized in a certain field.

Oh yes! The potential for this idea could really shine in a co op setting! Imagine spartans with different training emphasis working together to form a great team. That would be so awesome.

I’m very much hoping for a strong RPG feel to spartan ops in halo Xbox 1, such as a vast variety of enemies, encounters, in depth customization such as this training idea, an immersive story, item dropping and improving, and boss raids involving dozens of Spartans needing to coordinate flawlessly in order to beat.

How is this different than the last thread you made asking for the same RPG-esque traits to be implemented?

> How is this different than the last thread you made asking for the same RPG-esque traits to be implemented?

Oh significantly so I’m glad you ask. In my last thread I was simply proposing a new category for loadouts, that being your Spartan’s focus. But here I think that idea is vastly improved on with this training allocation. there is considerably more customization possible, it attacks the issue of useless leveling, and it would be very entertaining and rewarding for players.

It is a much more refined, final draft version if you will of what I initially put forth.

> > How is this different than the last thread you made asking for the same RPG-esque traits to be implemented?
>
> Oh significantly so I’m glad you ask. In my last thread I was simply proposing a new category for loadouts, that being your Spartan’s focus. But here I think that idea is vastly improved on with this training allocation. there is considerably more customization possible, it attacks the issue of useless leveling, and it would be very entertaining and rewarding for players.
>
> It is a much more refined, final draft version if you will of what I initially put forth.

No, it’s the same thing but you’re calling it something else. Same idea and the principle has no place in Halo.

> Before I go on topic:
>
> This is Shootin Sammy you are talking to, not a member of 343. This isn’t the first time, nor will it be the last he will make a thread about something that obviously wouldn’t work in an Arena Shooter Halo game. Bear in mind that all you will be doing is bumping it up.
>
> Don’t bother explaining why it wouldn’t work. Dozens of threads have been done by him, all ending with everybody trying to figure out what is going through his head. Let it drop if the idea sucks, just like everything else. He isn’t a developer of 343 Industries, and I seriously doubt they would even consider anyone’s ideas on this forum, including the creator of this thread. To many people on the forum, he’s a troll. If you see him as such, DO NOT POST ON THIS THREAD! Back out of the thread AND POST SOMEWHERE ELSE, and let the thread sink!
>
> Again, any attempt of convincing him otherwise is completely futile. Let the thread sink. All you will be doing is bumping his post, and kick other topics that probably deserve more discussion than this one.
>
> On Topic: I can understand a Training mode to teach players the mechanics of the game. However, we shouldn’t be needing points to be grinding time away before we can actually have fun.
>
> This idea wouldn’t work. In an RPG, maybe. In Multiplayer, no. This wouldn’t do anyone any favors. Players need to be functional at the START, not later after having their -Yoinks!- kicked 30 games down the road.
>
> Sammy, I want my guy to be functional AT THE START, and not have my guy kicked around because I made the wrong choice days ago. In an RPG setting where everyone worked together, this is a good idea. Against other players, this is a mess. This wouldn’t be remotely balanced at all. It’s just overall a bad idea to have in multiplayer.

First of all, hey! I take time out of my day to make these threads and do not appreciate you calling me a troll and encouraging others to let my threads sink, not cool man. How would you feel if I did that to you in your threads? Hmm?

Yes that is a legitimate concern, being at a disadvatage from being under leveled. Here’s what I propose for that; have the matchmaking system match players of similar level. That or play s ops & campaign first to level up to a point where you feel comfortable entering matchmaking.

> > Before I go on topic:
> >
> > This is Shootin Sammy you are talking to, not a member of 343. This isn’t the first time, nor will it be the last he will make a thread about something that obviously wouldn’t work in an Arena Shooter Halo game. Bear in mind that all you will be doing is bumping it up.
> >
> > Don’t bother explaining why it wouldn’t work. Dozens of threads have been done by him, all ending with everybody trying to figure out what is going through his head. Let it drop if the idea sucks, just like everything else. He isn’t a developer of 343 Industries, and I seriously doubt they would even consider anyone’s ideas on this forum, including the creator of this thread. To many people on the forum, he’s a troll. If you see him as such, DO NOT POST ON THIS THREAD! Back out of the thread AND POST SOMEWHERE ELSE, and let the thread sink!
> >
> > Again, any attempt of convincing him otherwise is completely futile. Let the thread sink. All you will be doing is bumping his post, and kick other topics that probably deserve more discussion than this one.
> >
> > On Topic: I can understand a Training mode to teach players the mechanics of the game. However, we shouldn’t be needing points to be grinding time away before we can actually have fun.
> >
> > This idea wouldn’t work. In an RPG, maybe. In Multiplayer, no. This wouldn’t do anyone any favors. Players need to be functional at the START, not later after having their -Yoinks!- kicked 30 games down the road.
> >
> > Sammy, I want my guy to be functional AT THE START, and not have my guy kicked around because I made the wrong choice days ago. In an RPG setting where everyone worked together, this is a good idea. Against other players, this is a mess. This wouldn’t be remotely balanced at all. It’s just overall a bad idea to have in multiplayer.
>
> First of all, hey! I take time out of my day to make these threads and do not appreciate you calling me a troll and encouraging others to let my threads sink, not cool man. How would you feel if I did that to you in your threads? Hmm?
>
> Yes that is a legitimate concern, being at a disadvatage from being under leveled. Here’s what I propose for that; have the matchmaking system match players of similar level. That or play s ops & campaign first to level up to a point where you feel comfortable entering matchmaking.

I’d rather keep the discussion to the thread, and Halo XB1, not have a large group of people coming over here and ask the same questions over and over again that have happened in your threads that you made in your past. It’s not worth having 6-10 pages of the same discussion over and over again about why you don’t get why it wouldn’t work in a multiplayer setting, with you wanting to add it in for the sake of “fun and innovation”, and bumping other topics that warrant more discussion.

I never called you a troll. I’m telling from other players that go to this forum that you do this in a rather trolling manner, and that your post history would indicate so. In such, there is no need for anyone to try and discuss against your topic, or your thinking, any further than it needs to be. At this point in time, it legitimately feels like we’re better off talking to a brick wall.

Unlike your thinking, I don’t try to come up with ideas to change the fundamentals of the game just for fun. I consider what impact would it do if such a feature were to be implemented, how would it be fair, what indication other than death would I put in place to let others know this character isn’t a person you want to stand close to, or that this guy would gun me down with perfect accuracy. None of those are still addressed in the situation in a game where the size of the maps varies too much for it to work. There’s no real indication since

1- Armor is for cosmetics only.

2- All guns have an infinite range.

3- All guns are meant for a specific niche instead of all-purpose like most guns in Modern Shooters.

4- All character models are the same for everyone( and in the case of multiple races, all races looks the same).

Sure, I can grind it up(which in of itself is a crap-tastic idea) before hoping into multiplayer, but that doesn’t change the fact that MM is based on a player’s skill and W/L ratio, not a level that unlocks points for a player to pick and hope get the right combination unless I want to be completely useless in combat.

Your ideas are not refined. In a PvE setting, such as Spartan Ops or Firefight, this wouldn’t be a bad idea. But in a PvP setting, such as Matchmaking, this wouldn’t work.

It is seriously, all you ever see is, “It is good-” and that’s all the inspiration you need to make another thread. Sometimes, a repeat of the last thread, only worded differently.

The warning at my previous post is to deter anyone who is not really going to be discussing about the topic at hand, and anyone who plans on trying to explain to you about why this wouldn’t work in an arena shooter since that has been done time and time again. It’s not worth having 6+ pages of discussion, like the last 3 threads you made, of people trying to explain why it wouldn’t work in an arena shooter, or people trying to figure out why you take ideas that work in a PvE or Modern Shooter environment, and you dodging the question and never answering it. You brought it, not me.

>

I don’t mean to be rude, but I go through all the effor to explain why I’d hate your last idea to be in the main Halo games, only to get no reply and now you post something more convoluted…

I just… I don’t even know why I bother anymore.

Here let me just put it simply:

As a side game, where the entire game is dedicated to this sort of focus, possibly based on marines or ODST’s, this idea would be fantastic. Like all of your ideas, there is merit to it. I just personally do not want it in an arena shooter game.

At the risk of offending you OP…this is undoubtedly one of, if not the worst ideas I’ve ever read for MP in terms of balance.

The point of an arena shooter is to have an even and balanced start. Your idea throws that completely out the window with no hope of recovery. I really hope this doesn’t make it into any Halo game.

No offence, it’s just my honest opinion.

~ Duck.

P.s. Also, having read your previous thread, Snickerdoodle is right; you’ve just tried to re-brand the same idea/ concept so that you can post a new thread, probably hoping for a better reception than last time. By rights, this thread should really be locked as it’s essentially the same as your last one. I therefore suggest you don’t argue with a monitor, it’s not a very wise course of action and they’re not stupid people.

Yeah…maybe we just get this a game of its own…maybe “Halo: Infinity” or something to compete with Destiny…(not needed).
Otherwise, I don’t suggest this in the mainstream title unless it’s SpOps or Campaign ONLY.

i respect that you put time into writing these things sammy, however halo really isn’t your game, certain parts may be, but most aren’t.

to put it comparatively trying to add MMO and loadout/class based gameplay mechanics into halo is like trying to ask McDonalds for a pizza.

> >
>
> I don’t mean to be rude, but I go through all the effor to explain why I’d hate your last idea to be in the main Halo games, only to get no reply and now you post something more convoluted…
>
> I just… I don’t even know why I bother anymore.
>
> Here let me just put it simply:
>
> As a side game, where the entire game is dedicated to this sort of focus, possibly based on marines or ODST’s, this idea would be fantastic. Like all of your ideas, there is merit to it. I just personally do not want it in an arena shooter game.

No dont feel like you shouldn’t bother, I know sometimes it is hard for me to respond to everyone from the shear volume of responses and my apologies if I don’t get to you.

Anyways I assure you I don’t envision this consuming matchmaking, just something to make spartan ops more fun and replayable and consolidated to a single playlist that is slayer/objective mix. You would play that playlist here and there right? It would be fun, what kind of training would you focus on silent?

> By rights, this thread should really be locked as it’s essentially the same as your last one. I therefore suggest you don’t argue with a monitor, it’s not a very wise course of action and they’re not stupid people.

Good point and consider it done. :slight_smile: