More exploration pl0x!

One problem I had with Halo 4 was that there were many large areas that were beautifully crafted and were eye candy, but they were in the BACKGROUND. Like when you first walk away from the Wreckage on the second mission and you see the towering Forerunner pillars looming in the distance. I WANT TO GO OVER THERE. Unfortunately, the actual path you CAN explore is quite uninteresting and limited compared what lurks behind the scenes. Can you imagine actually exploring another section in the Infinity than the maintenance causeway, which is just a couple of tall wide, hallways with some vehicles? Can you imagine going deeper into the Forerunner facility on Reclaimer for a long time? What about actually going inside a Covenant supercarrier and taking it down? Or getting to fly even longer in your Pelican to other towers on Shutdown? The list goes on… So what I’m asking is to have a more sandbox oriented campaign, kind of like Crysis 1.

I agree. Remember The Ark and The Covenant from Halo 3? Ah, the good ol’ days.

> I agree. Remember The Ark and The Covenant from Halo 3? Ah, the good ol’ days.

They hardly give exploration, Silent Cartographer and Halo (Halo CE not Halo 3) are better examples exploration

> > I agree. Remember The Ark and The Covenant from Halo 3? Ah, the good ol’ days.
>
> They hardly give exploration, Silent Cartographer and Halo (Halo CE not Halo 3) are better examples exploration

Let’s agree to disagree before this turns into a “which Halo is better” argument.

> > I agree. Remember The Ark and The Covenant from Halo 3? Ah, the good ol’ days.
>
> They hardly give exploration, Silent Cartographer and Halo (Halo CE not Halo 3) are better examples exploration

They give more exploration and sandbox gameplay than most missions in Halo 4. And plus, the areas you get to play in are interesting to look at and walk around in.

> > > I agree. Remember The Ark and The Covenant from Halo 3? Ah, the good ol’ days.
> >
> > They hardly give exploration, Silent Cartographer and Halo (Halo CE not Halo 3) are better examples exploration
>
> Let’s agree to disagree before this turns into a “which Halo is better” argument.

Still, Silent Cartographer is a great mission.

> > > > I agree. Remember The Ark and The Covenant from Halo 3? Ah, the good ol’ days.
> > >
> > > They hardly give exploration, Silent Cartographer and Halo (Halo CE not Halo 3) are better examples exploration
> >
> > Let’s agree to disagree before this turns into a “which Halo is better” argument.
>
> Still, Silent Cartographer is a great mission.

I agree. But Halo 3 is my all time fav.

The thing about Halo games it feels like we’re moving on a rail, we move from point A to B, maybe go back, move to point C, they should try change it up

Ep 1 Ch 1 of SPOPS is a good example. Open area, you’re given several weapons and vehicles, and you take out the objectives in whichever way you see fit.

> The thing about Halo games it feels like we’re moving on a rail, we move from point A to B, maybe go back, move to point C, they should try change it up

Two Betrayals and Silent Cartographer would like a word with you.

> > The thing about Halo games it feels like we’re moving on a rail, we move from point A to B, maybe go back, move to point C, they should try change it up
>
> Two Betrayals and Silent Cartographer would like a word with you.

I already mentioned CE had open levels like Halo and Silent Cartographer, levels should be like CE then (which I’d love since CE is my favourite game)

> > > The thing about Halo games it feels like we’re moving on a rail, we move from point A to B, maybe go back, move to point C, they should try change it up
> >
> > Two Betrayals and Silent Cartographer would like a word with you.
>
> I already mentioned CE had open levels like Halo and Silent Cartographer, levels should be like CE then (which I’d love since CE is my favourite game)

But less backtracking and less repetitive environments.

> > > > The thing about Halo games it feels like we’re moving on a rail, we move from point A to B, maybe go back, move to point C, they should try change it up
> > >
> > > Two Betrayals and Silent Cartographer would like a word with you.
> >
> > I already mentioned CE had open levels like Halo and Silent Cartographer, levels should be like CE then (which I’d love since CE is my favourite game)
>
> But less backtracking and less repetitive environments.

Aye.

> > > > The thing about Halo games it feels like we’re moving on a rail, we move from point A to B, maybe go back, move to point C, they should try change it up
> > >
> > > Two Betrayals and Silent Cartographer would like a word with you.
> >
> > I already mentioned CE had open levels like Halo and Silent Cartographer, levels should be like CE then (which I’d love since CE is my favourite game)
>
> But less backtracking and less repetitive environments.

Agreed

> I agree. Remember The Ark and The Covenant from Halo 3? Ah, the good ol’ days.

My two faves :slight_smile:

I think that the game should move away from cliffside paths and tunnels andnarrow canyons (which are just a pretty way to shove us into a corridor) and give us actual open maps once in a while. Think of the Global Battles prototype Bungie cut from Reach, things like what Destiny is shaping up to be. Give us more freedom in just walking around, don’t place soft kill boundaries and reward exploration! I want to see skulls as collectibles, and make some of them HARD! Like that -Yoink!- grenade-jump skull in The Ark, or the other one that required perfect placing of the grav lift. Also, the game should have more Easter Eggs, and more obvious ones than in 4 (like Easter Eggs from Reach/Halo 3 that were just outright weird visually). Another thing that could make exploration awesome is allowing a player to play optional objectives within missions when he just walks around. Maybe we could join a battle that was supposed to be in background, or infiltrate a small enemy base to destroy its commander (which would have some effect on the rest of the mission- like less enemies, for instance). Just give us more ways to play the game, and a better Sandbox, on some trulkly open maps (New Alexandria/Silent Cartographer style) and it would really increase replayability.

I definitely think that the amount of exploration was definitely hindered in Halo 4 but i believe it wasn’t by choice as Halo 4 any many other games that have lately been coming out for the xbox 360 have maxed out the performance of the system.

I think moving forward with the xbox one, I think the days of the “giant” sandbox will return, along with split screen play, and many other features that have been hampered down by the maxed out 360.

> Ep 1 Ch 1 of SPOPS is a good example. Open area, you’re given several weapons and vehicles, and you take out the objectives in whichever way you see fit.

Exactly. 343i should take that to the extreme in Halo 5’s campaign. Just give us more ares like that and less linear areas.