More colorblind issues

Dear 343i,

I know that you don’t care about the upwards of 10% of the adult male population with red/green colorblindness, because you designed a game full of rust-colored levels in which the red team blends in perfectly. You’ve also stated as much in saying that you will NOT follow other game developers in creating a colorblind mode which changes color templates for us, despite how seemingly easy it would be.

All of your dislike of colorblind gamers aside, PLEASE, and this is my final request on the subject, PLEASE create an option for an opaque radar. The red dots? Yeah, with the rust colored levels coming through the translucent radar, they tend to blend in, along with the enemy skins.

Sincerely,

Someone who wants to be more competitive than he currently is.

Radar is opaque, not transclucent, and is blue.

Lack of colorblind is stupid; lets create a game which your franchise director can’t see properly on.

> Dear 343i,
>
> I know that you don’t care about the upwards of 10% of the adult male population with red/green colorblindness, because you designed a game full of rust-colored levels in which the red team blends in perfectly. You’ve also stated as much in saying that you will NOT follow other game developers in creating a colorblind mode which changes color templates for us, despite how seemingly easy it would be.
>
> All of your dislike of colorblind gamers aside, PLEASE, and this is my final request on the subject, PLEASE create an option for an opaque radar. The red dots? Yeah, with the rust colored levels coming through the translucent radar, they tend to blend in, along with the enemy skins.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Someone who wants to be more competitive than he currently is.

Is this the same case for all the Halo games? For that matter every single video game ever invented? In fact, every game period ever invented?

The radar is skewed far more to the translucent side of the opacity scale. I wouldn’t make a stink about it if it weren’t difficult for me to see (and my non CB friends have no issue with it). The red dots become extremely difficult for me to see on maps like Adrift or Abandon, unless I take my eye off my reticle and stare at my radar. The green/yellow dots of teammates (not sure which color it is) are easily noticeable without doing so.

And Hedronox, I’m told that the CoD franchise has a colorblind mode. Not the WoW colorblind mode that just tells you what color an item is, but one that actually affects what you see in gameplay.

> The radar is skewed far more to the translucent side of the opacity scale. I wouldn’t make a stink about it if it weren’t difficult for me to see (and my non CB friends have no issue with it). The red dots become extremely difficult for me to see on maps like Adrift or Abandon, unless I take my eye off my reticle and stare at my radar. The green/yellow dots of teammates (not sure which color it is) are easily noticeable without doing so.
>
> And Hedronox, I’m told that the CoD franchise has a colorblind mode. Not the WoW colorblind mode that just tells you what color an item is, but one that actually affects what you see in gameplay.

The CoD franchise DOES have a Colorblind mode, which changes the minimap/radar and name tags above players - The enemy would become orange and the teammate’s green would turn blue.

BF3 has one as well; It was alread yin the PC version but it came to the Console version several months before in a title update.

If you can’t do anything about it now, what about change brightness? It definitely affects something somehow.

Most of my relatives are colourblind, dad included. I’m not fortunately. I was thinking when I first played multiplayer how red certain maps seemed, didn’t realise it was actually affecting others.

343i should really look into this, good post OP. Hope you can find a way around this in the meantime.

I too am red green colourblind and also have problems with the minimap/radar :frowning: Really puzzled as to why 343 wouldn’t have a colourblind mode! Surely wouldn’t be too difficult to fix this… please?

Has there been an official response from 343 re. colourblindness issues in game???

Yes, they’ve publicly stated that they will NOT create a colorblind mode, as other developers have done. Then they pat themselves on the back for “choosing colors that take into consideration those who are colorblind” or some such nonsense, and continue along their merry way, while the gamers suffer.

I might say it in a different way, but I agree. I am in no way colorblind, and I can hardly see other spartans and I have trouble viewing radar which was never a problem.

1.) The spartan colors are so light and with a lot of the maps have a “gleaming” quality to them they aren’t highly visible. But I got over it. But on larger maps sometimes the only way I spot guys is nametags. But I’ll live.

2.) The radar needs fixing. Bungies was excellent. On most of the forge maps and some stock ones the lighting reacts in a weird way or when I have the energy sword the radar blends into my upheld hand. Radar is important when using a sword. And the arrows were somewhat of a misfire to represent vertical position.

Here’s the thing, since most people are not colorblind in any way, they dont care including me.Sorry to say that but its true, and no… people like me would never understand how it affects you since we are not colorblind.

So address it this way to 343.“343 how would it feel trying to create a video game without a keyboard and mouse”.There ya go and done, now they have an idea on what you mean.Just whining about not being able to see a couple colors does not make it seem urgent to normal people.Just saying, and yes i just said normal people.To me being colorblind is not normal.

Your probably wondering why i even posted since it does not concern me, well i did cause i’m bored and lurk on these forums, not to mention i have no life.That is all.

But I’m not trying to describe the problem beyond “the other team is camouflaged to me if I’m on blue team”. That’s not too difficult to understand, nor is “I can’t see the red dots because the red level shines through the radar. Please make the radar opaque.”

If you can’t understand that, I’m not sure how you’re able to form sentences, much less reply to my post. It’s simple- an opaque radar would solve the radar problems. That’s not much to ask. Different colored skins (say, yellow? Reach had yellow and green skins for multi-team, and I’d assume 4 has the capability) is a more complex procedure, but they don’t care. And 10% of men isn’t a small number.

> Yes, they’ve publicly stated that they will NOT create a colorblind mode, as other developers have done. Then they pat themselves on the back for “choosing colors that take into consideration those who are colorblind” or some such nonsense, and continue along their merry way, while the gamers suffer.

It really puzzles me that a developer of such a populated game would decide NOT to have a colourblind mode…

Bizarre. :confused:

This is how I see it. 343 said they are NOT going to make a colour blind mode. This means exactly what it says.

Sure, many people may agree that this is unfair for people with the disorder, but they are not legally contracted to do so.

This is life.

I’m red/green colourblind (and Canadian, thus the u in the word colour) and have not noticed any issues playing Halo4.

My red-green color blind (severely) friend, adapted brilliantly. I sympathise with you, but frankly I have poor peripheral vision, but Halo has helped me adapt and train it. It’s time to adapt.

> I’m red/green colourblind (and Canadian, thus the u in the word colour) and have not noticed any issues playing Halo4.

I suffer from colour deficiency and the radar isn’t an issue but it is a struggle on some maps to distinguish players for me depending where they are.
I don’t find it that big of an issue but don’t ever ask me to go choose a paint colour for your home.