MORE black screens from join in progress?

I’m pretty excited about the premise of being able to constantly find a game and never being permanently down - 3 people via Halo 4’s join in progress. However, I’m also concerned about how the previous Halo games get frequent black screens whenever someone leaves a MM game or when someone joins a custom game. The -Yoink!- black screens have been in several iterations of Halo games and it’s ridiculous that this problem hasn’t been fixed after all these years. Not only do these black screens cause at least 30 seconds of dead time, but they also can respawn all weapons on the map. They canscrew up kills and give people a free shield recharge, sometimes right before a last headshot. They can be accompanied by lag spikes, too.

I’m guessing Halo 4 will have done something to help with black screens, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they were still present in some form. Join in progress might actually make this issue worse with people constantly joining games after a potential black screen has happened from someone quitting. It’s now more important than ever for black screens to be fixed since people are going to be joining and leaving games even more than in past Halo games.

Discuss.

i doubt black screen will be present for in session joining. itd be too frequent to the point where it’d be a bigger problem than previous halo games

> i doubt black screen will be present for in session joining. itd be too frequent to the point where it’d be a bigger problem than previous halo games

I’m hoping that’s the case, but online Campaign and Firefight lag hasn’t been fixed from Halo 3/ODST, and as I mentioned before, black screens have been in multiplayer since Halo 2.

I just hope the game can freaken remember your spree, and weapon spawns during it…

> I’m pretty excited about the premise of being able to constantly find a game and never being permanently down - 3 people via Halo 4’s join in progress. However, I’m also concerned about how the previous Halo games get frequent black screens whenever someone leaves a MM game or when someone joins a custom game. The -Yoink!- black screens have been in several iterations of Halo games and it’s ridiculous that this problem hasn’t been fixed after all these years. Not only do these black screens cause at least 30 seconds of dead time, but they also can respawn all weapons on the map. They canscrew up kills and give people a free shield recharge, sometimes right before a last headshot. They can be accompanied by lag spikes, too.
>
> I’m guessing Halo 4 will have done something to help with black screens, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they were still present in some form. Join in progress might actually make this issue worse with people constantly joining games after a potential black screen has happened from someone quitting. It’s now more important than ever for black screens to be fixed since people are going to be joining and leaving games even more than in past Halo games.
>
> Discuss.

With how much time 343 has put into this there is no way they did not think of that.

I have heard that the connection is suppose to be better than dedicated servers. But we will wait and see.

Black screen when you are on a multikill thats montage worthy is the most frustrating thing in video games.

i’m afraid of this, the only way for it not to black screen is to pick one host and stick with it through out the game even if that host is totally crap causing massive lagg leading to more quitting.

its a choice between crap connection and constant blackscreens, i say get rid of JIP.

Think gears 3 or minecraft it joins in progress yet it doesnt slap every player in at a time its a load screen for the joining players that get eased into the game without a hitch
from there you press the button to spawn
simple and clean

> I have heard that the connection is suppose to be better than dedicated servers. But we will wait and see.

Sorry but that’s technically impossible, at best propaganda from someone who knows little of these things.
First of all, on p2p the 360 does all calculations while on a Dedicated server the server hardware does the calculations, and server hardware is at least on par with the rumored 720 sepcs, which makes it faster.
Secondly, on p2p the hosts connection matters most, since host has to send the data to the players (1 lane street).
On a dedicated server, the server got much more bandwith the a usual user and can send it in real time (autoban), faster and better.
If you live remotly, say in teh middle of Australia, p2p would be a better option since there is no nearby servers. But if you live in the western world (USA, EU, Asia) or even close to a city in Australia, Dedicated servers are better, closer, faster.

OnT:
Well, if the game had dedicated server there would be no blackscreens, lost sprees or host changes at all. Let’s hope Halo 5 brings the servers :slight_smile:
It should be possible to make a drop in/out system without blackscreens unless the host changes, but those who join will most likely be at a (slight) disadvantage instead. Still, a small price to pay to ensure everyone else has a better experience.

> > I have heard that the connection is suppose to be better than dedicated servers. But we will wait and see.
>
> Sorry but that’s technically impossible, at best propaganda from someone who knows little of these things.
> First of all, on p2p the 360 does all calculations while on a Dedicated server the server hardware does the calculations, and server hardware is at least on par with the rumored 720 sepcs, which makes it faster.
> Secondly, on p2p the hosts connection matters most, since host has to send the data to the players (1 lane street).
> On a dedicated server, the server got much more bandwith the a usual user and can send it in real time (autoban), faster and better.
> If you live remotly, say in teh middle of Australia, p2p would be a better option since there is no nearby servers. But if you live in the western world (USA, EU, Asia) or even close to a city in Australia, Dedicated servers are better, closer, faster.
>
> OnT:
> Well, if the game had dedicated server there would be no blackscreens, lost sprees or host changes at all. Let’s hope Halo 5 brings the servers :slight_smile:
> It should be possible to make a drop in/out system without blackscreens unless the host changes, but those who join will most likely be at a (slight) disadvantage instead. Still, a small price to pay to ensure everyone else has a better experience.

Thanks for the info. It was just something I heard.

I have been wanting dedicated servers anyways.

> > I have heard that the connection is suppose to be better than dedicated servers. But we will wait and see.
>
> Sorry but that’s technically impossible, at best propaganda from someone who knows little of these things.
> First of all, on p2p the 360 does all calculations while on a Dedicated server the server hardware does the calculations, and server hardware is at least on par with the rumored 720 sepcs, which makes it faster.
> Secondly, on p2p the hosts connection matters most, since host has to send the data to the players (1 lane street).
> On a dedicated server, the server got much more bandwith the a usual user and can send it in real time (autoban), faster and better.
> If you live remotly, say in teh middle of Australia, p2p would be a better option since there is no nearby servers. But if you live in the western world (USA, EU, Asia) or even close to a city in Australia, Dedicated servers are better, closer, faster.
>
> OnT:
> Well, if the game had dedicated server there would be no blackscreens, lost sprees or host changes at all. Let’s hope Halo 5 brings the servers :slight_smile:
> It should be possible to make a drop in/out system without blackscreens unless the host changes, but those who join will most likely be at a (slight) disadvantage instead. Still, a small price to pay to ensure everyone else has a better experience.

and what people don’t mention is that dedicated servers have to run thousands of games simultaneously while sending and receiving information to hundreds of thousands of people at the same time.

with a peer 2 peer, that number is reduced to 1 game and a maximum of 8 people .

personally i prefer peer 2 peer.

> > > I have heard that the connection is suppose to be better than dedicated servers. But we will wait and see.
> >
> > Sorry but that’s technically impossible, at best propaganda from someone who knows little of these things.
> > First of all, on p2p the 360 does all calculations while on a Dedicated server the server hardware does the calculations, and server hardware is at least on par with the rumored 720 sepcs, which makes it faster.
> > Secondly, on p2p the hosts connection matters most, since host has to send the data to the players (1 lane street).
> > On a dedicated server, the server got much more bandwith the a usual user and can send it in real time (autoban), faster and better.
> > If you live remotly, say in teh middle of Australia, p2p would be a better option since there is no nearby servers. But if you live in the western world (USA, EU, Asia) or even close to a city in Australia, Dedicated servers are better, closer, faster.
> >
> > OnT:
> > Well, if the game had dedicated server there would be no blackscreens, lost sprees or host changes at all. Let’s hope Halo 5 brings the servers :slight_smile:
> > It should be possible to make a drop in/out system without blackscreens unless the host changes, but those who join will most likely be at a (slight) disadvantage instead. Still, a small price to pay to ensure everyone else has a better experience.
>
> and what people don’t mention is that dedicated servers have to run thousands of games simultaneously while sending and receiving information to hundreds of thousands of people at the same time.
>
> with a peer 2 peer, that number is reduced to 1 game and a maximum of <mark>8</mark> people .
>
> personally i prefer peer 2 peer.

I think you mean 16.

> > > > I have heard that the connection is suppose to be better than dedicated servers. But we will wait and see.
> > >
> > > Sorry but that’s technically impossible, at best propaganda from someone who knows little of these things.
> > > First of all, on p2p the 360 does all calculations while on a Dedicated server the server hardware does the calculations, and server hardware is at least on par with the rumored 720 sepcs, which makes it faster.
> > > Secondly, on p2p the hosts connection matters most, since host has to send the data to the players (1 lane street).
> > > On a dedicated server, the server got much more bandwith the a usual user and can send it in real time (autoban), faster and better.
> > > If you live remotly, say in teh middle of Australia, p2p would be a better option since there is no nearby servers. But if you live in the western world (USA, EU, Asia) or even close to a city in Australia, Dedicated servers are better, closer, faster.
> > >
> > > OnT:
> > > Well, if the game had dedicated server there would be no blackscreens, lost sprees or host changes at all. Let’s hope Halo 5 brings the servers :slight_smile:
> > > It should be possible to make a drop in/out system without blackscreens unless the host changes, but those who join will most likely be at a (slight) disadvantage instead. Still, a small price to pay to ensure everyone else has a better experience.
> >
> > and what people don’t mention is that dedicated servers have to run thousands of games simultaneously while sending and receiving information to hundreds of thousands of people at the same time.
> >
> > with a peer 2 peer, that number is reduced to 1 game and a maximum of <mark>8</mark> people .
> >
> > personally i prefer peer 2 peer.
>
> I think you mean 16.

F!!!

yea, i meant 16 … i swear i typed 16 though.

I get black screens all the time when people join custom games while in progress. Never thought of this but it is definately a potential problem.

Hopefully won’t be like Reach’s never ending black screen.