Monetization

does anyone know if infinite will be monitized with lootboxes, warzone req like system or cosmetic purchases ?
sidenote i would find this very unfortunate i sure alot of the fanbase would agree i mean who can honestly say they like being nickel and dimed

Infinite will not feature lootboxes obtained through real money or any sort of premium currency. If lootboxes do appear in Infinite, they will not be tied to real money.

Beyond that, we have no other information on what Infinite’s monetization system will be like, aside from the fact that Infinite will have some sort of monetization.

> 2533274817408735;2:
> Infinite will not feature lootboxes obtained through real money or any sort of premium currency. If lootboxes do appear in Infinite, they will not be tied to real money.
>
> Beyond that, we have no other information on what Infinite’s monetization system will be like, aside from the fact that Infinite will have some sort of monetization.

thanks for responding i just hope the monetization system is used responsibly

Didn’t they have a job listing a while back with microtransactions in the description or something?

> 2535440120215345;4:
> Didn’t they have a job listing a while back with microtransactions in the description or something?

not sure but microtransactions take more effort to implement than i think most people realise

> 2533274817408735;2:
> Infinite will not feature lootboxes obtained through real money or any sort of premium currency. If lootboxes do appear in Infinite, they will not be tied to real money.
>
> Beyond that, we have no other information on what Infinite’s monetization system will be like, aside from the fact that Infinite will have some sort of monetization.

Hearing this, I can actually trust 343I on not messing up this segment of the game. If lootboxes do appear in Infinite, they won’t be tied to real money, but the only worry is what they will contain.

Sea of Thieves implemented microtransactions in the “fairest” way possible I believe. Not perfect, because its next to impossible to earn them in game, but you pay for what you want, no randomization. Also they’re purely cosmetic. If Halo did something like that, I would be ok with it.

The best idea I have come up with (and actually discovered Youtubers such as Favyn have come up with as well) is this:

mtx’s are available to be purchased either directly or in some sort of REQ pack. Inside would include weapon and armor skins. However, in order to equip the armor skins you’d get from these purchases, you must earn the achievement/ purchase with credits the base armor first. This allows for the player to see armor as an accomplishment and as something to be sought after, rather than a luck of the draw. It also lets those who prefer a bit more “flashiness” to get just that, but they must earn the armor to do so.

I just don’t want them to do a GOW 5

> 2535428779736382;9:
> I just don’t want them to do a GOW 5

My thoughts too. Gears 5 has not got loot boxes but it has a free to play economy in a full priced game, unnecessary grinds, content that cannot be earned behind pay walls, and the store prices are terrible for a full priced game. I hope Infinite is not the same but it easily could be, or not.

> 2783251376877086;7:
> Sea of Thieves implemented microtransactions in the “fairest” way possible I believe. Not perfect, because its next to impossible to earn them in game, but you pay for what you want, no randomization. Also they’re purely cosmetic. If Halo did something like that, I would be ok with it.

i really like sea of thieves but i have to disagree, that microtransactions are implemented in a fair way. the way to earn the currency ingame is more or less useless, bc very unlikely to find skelletons who drop the currency and then the amount is very small (but it will still be used as an excuse). additional the ingame store is also part of the gameworld and you always see what you are missing out if you don’t buy the pets. additional many people love pets, so the likeliness of wanting to have one could be higher and there is no other way to get any pets, so i even would argue, that the mts are not purely cosmetic.
additional: you have to buy ingame currency, but the amount you buy doesn’t match the amount you need to buy a pet. so the price for a pet is actually higher, than it is suggested. in the end you will always have some currency left and there is no way to get it back if you stop playing the game.

i still haven’t seen any fair way of implementing MTs and i highly doubt that it is possible, bc they are not designed to be fair. they are designed to be sold and the game is designed around MTs being sold, so the game actually is designed worse for the player than it could be.

> 2592250499819446;10:
> > 2535428779736382;9:
> > I just don’t want them to do a GOW 5
>
> My thoughts too. Gears 5 has not got loot boxes but it has a free to play economy in a full priced game, unnecessary grinds, content that cannot be earned behind pay walls, and the store prices are terrible for a full priced game. I hope Infinite is not the same but it easily could be, or not.

thats what i fear will happen, bc i think the driving force behind both games MT systems is microsoft and they are known for forcing MT systems. also the kind of battlepass system which is announced to come to MCC looks to me like a testing system for a future battlepass, or even to get people used to it in halo

> 2533274793122050;11:
> > 2783251376877086;7:
> > Sea of Thieves implemented microtransactions in the “fairest” way possible I believe. Not perfect, because its next to impossible to earn them in game, but you pay for what you want, no randomization. Also they’re purely cosmetic. If Halo did something like that, I would be ok with it.
>
> i really like sea of thieves but i have to disagree, that microtransactions are implemented in a fair way. the way to earn the currency ingame is more or less useless, bc very unlikely to find skelletons who drop the currency and then the amount is very small (but it will still be used as an excuse). additional the ingame store is also part of the gameworld and you always see what you are missing out if you don’t buy the pets. additional many people love pets, so the likeliness of wanting to have one could be higher and there is no other way to get any pets, so i even would argue, that the mts are not purely cosmetic.
> additional: you have to buy ingame currency, but the amount you buy doesn’t match the amount you need to buy a pet. so the price for a pet is actually higher, than it is suggested. in the end you will always have some currency left and there is no way to get it back if you stop playing the game.
>
> i still haven’t seen any fair way of implementing MTs and i highly doubt that it is possible, bc they are not designed to be fair. they are designed to be sold and the game is designed around MTs being sold, so the game actually is designed worse for the player than it could be.
>
>
>
>
> > 2592250499819446;10:
> > > 2535428779736382;9:
> > > I just don’t want them to do a GOW 5
> >
> > My thoughts too. Gears 5 has not got loot boxes but it has a free to play economy in a full priced game, unnecessary grinds, content that cannot be earned behind pay walls, and the store prices are terrible for a full priced game. I hope Infinite is not the same but it easily could be, or not.
>
> thats what i fear will happen, bc i think the driving force behind both games MT systems is microsoft and they are known for forcing MT systems. also the kind of battlepass system which is announced to come to MCC looks to me like a testing system for a future battlepass, or even to get people used to it in halo

I hope it won’t happen either. It’s a reason Halo Infinite will remain on my avoid list until I know more, but I bet they won’t reveal it until the last possible minute, or until post release, like CoD Blackout.

We only know two things so far.

  1. There will be mtx
  2. It won’t be in the form of lootboxes

Well no lootboxes is a good start. As for other microtransactions, I have faith they won’t be too bad. I think 343 knows they HAVE to knock it out of the park with this one or else they’ll lose almost everybody that’s still left after 5. Also, the backlash Gears 5 is getting will hopefully convince Microsoft to tone the mtxs down a lot (seriously that’s my one complaint with Gears 5 I’m hopelessly addicted and having a blast but I’m not earning anything for my playtime because the grinds are so ridiculous and most of the cool stuff is behind a paywall -_-).

> 2592250499819446;10:
> > 2535428779736382;9:
> > I just don’t want them to do a GOW 5
>
> My thoughts too. Gears 5 has not got loot boxes but it has a free to play economy in a full priced game, unnecessary grinds, content that cannot be earned behind pay walls, and the store prices are terrible for a full priced game. I hope Infinite is not the same but it easily could be, or not.

Gears is a most interesting one as it really a test case for the new game pass/MT system I really do think MS will use a refined version of this for infinite. Will that be a good or bad thing who knows?
a large bulk of playerbase will be on halo infinite from the game pass and it currently seems to resemble a free to play monetisation system. Player retention and ongoing engagement is also another big consideration as the live service trend is also tied into the above model (if games like apex and fortnite are anything to go by) mcc whilst free is already paving the way for conditioning the halo community into seasons and a battle pass format

AT BEST it will be a battle pass system.

Given how the information about monetization is sort of hidden, it makes me worried that 343, or Microsoft, is going to pull an EA and add in something. Not lootboxes, but something else.

I am hoping that they do stick to there “No monetization” claim. I have no issue with it just being cosmetics, but I would rather have it all as in game unlocks (Like back in the Reach days). This would make replay ability and the community grow so much.

> 2533274903762048;18:
> I am hoping that they do stick to there “No monetization” claim. I have no issue with it just being cosmetics, but I would rather have it all as in game unlocks (Like back in the Reach days). This would make replay ability and the community grow so much.

It’s no loot boxes , no monetisation has never been stated by 343i , go back and read the quote I think it was Chris Lee, no loot boxes vs no monetisation are 2 very different realities indeed

> 2535406126289417;15:
> > 2592250499819446;10:
> > > 2535428779736382;9:
> > > I just don’t want them to do a GOW 5
> >
> > My thoughts too. Gears 5 has not got loot boxes but it has a free to play economy in a full priced game, unnecessary grinds, content that cannot be earned behind pay walls, and the store prices are terrible for a full priced game. I hope Infinite is not the same but it easily could be, or not.
>
> Gears is a most interesting one as it really a test case for the new game pass/MT system I really do think MS will use a refined version of this for infinite. Will that be a good or bad thing who knows?
> a large bulk of playerbase will be on halo infinite from the game pass and it currently seems to resemble a free to play monetisation system. Player retention and ongoing engagement is also another big consideration as the live service trend is also tied into the above model (if games like apex and fortnite are anything to go by) mcc whilst free is already paving the way for conditioning the halo community into seasons and a battle pass format

I agree with what you say about them testing the water with game pass. However they don’t seem to be caring about the players that bought the retail versions. In fact, the ones that bought the retail version got a bad deal. I doubt I’ll ever buy game pass, not enough games on it interest me to justify the sub. Also many games I want at launch over the next year will not be on game pass day one. I’ll be passing on Infinite until all is known, especially after Gears 5.