Mobility W/O Sprint. Innovate w/o degrading Halo.

Alright people, I’m gonna spend a little time talking about sprint in Halo.
hears loud collective groan
Yes, yes I’m well aware this topic has been worn out over the years, but I need to get this out there.

Before we move on to my proposal, I want to make it clear; I don’t like what sprint has done to Halo. I never asked for it, never wanted it. I’m not going to explain every detail of why it degrades from Halo’s design nor am I going to indulge any pro-sprint arguments, because frankly, I’ve heard them all, and they’re very easily shot down. If you wish to learn more about sprint and its effect on Halo’s design, there’s plenty of source material for you to look up yourself.

Now let’s move on to the topic at hand, mobility.
It’s entirely possible to implement advanced movement into a game, without degrading and/or drastically changing Halo’s core gameplay.

Currently with Halo 5, sprint punishes players for using it, severely. But at the same time, you’re required to use it to effectively traverse maps that are essentially built around the mechanic.
Even mechanics such as Spartan Charge and sliding, require sprint to function.

So, in order for this to work with classic Halo gameplay, something sprint cannot do, we have to create a mechanic that follows three simple rules:

  1. Does not force the player to put their gun down; it must be up and usable at all times.
  2. Does not increase player speed; a static, maximum speed is needed for proper map design.
  3. Does not degrade from and/or force a negative change in established mechanics and/or game design.

Although these rules can be bent somewhat, the positives MUST out weigh the negatives in order to justify it’s existence. The rules are in place to improve and evolve Halo in a healthy manner, which sprint fails to do. So feel free to come up with your own ideas based off of the rules provided. I’ll be reading them.

Here are my proposals:

  1. Map pick-up based Armor Abilities. Things like sprint, thrusters and jet pack could remain in the series as pickups on the map. The custom games community would jump for joy with this one, not to mention it would maintain the ever so important even starts. Players could improve their mobility, if they’re willing to fight for it. This is possibly the simplest mechanic to implement, since we’ve already seen what Armor Abilities can bring to the table gameplay wise.
  2. A mechanic that I will refer to as “Thrust”. Imagine a meter that could be spent on mobility options on the fly, that constantly recharges, but could only be spent on one option at a time. Tap or hold a button to place you in Thrust mode, and you are able add a variety of mobility options, without breaking the above rules. In Thrust mode you can: Press crouch to slide in any relatively forward direction, hold your melee to charge up a spartan charge, and stablize in the air regardless of zoom if you jump. There are many possibilities past these if we’re willing to bend Rule 3, such as wall running and or scaling, faster reloading and/or mantling.
  3. Lastly. No movement gimmick mechanics at all. Pure, and simple. Halo returns to it’s more platform style roots. Although, this would be met with opposition, this is arguably the healthiest option. Even if it doesn’t evolve the series, it most certainly wouldn’t degrade from the gameplay that many of us have grown to love.

It’s OK to improve upon the game. But change for the sake of change, is wrong. Changing a established franchise to conform to generic overused trends, is also wrong. I hate to use it as an example, but there is a reason people continuously flock to Cod every year; it provides a consistent experience that people want. People will continue to buy something, that continues to do the thing they like. Imagine that? This is something that 343, fails to grasp. CS:GO is a excellent example of a game that stands the test of time. Halo can also be that game, they just have to have a little faith in what Bungie started.

Edit: sigh I was hoping I would get more creative solutions. Now we’ve just dived back into same old arguments. In hindsight, I should of expected this.

Pro-sprinters, when I say I’ve heard every argument, I mean it. When you say there’s nothing wrong with sprint in Halo, what you really mean is you have no problem with the Halo’s that are entirely built off the mechanic. That is the case for Halo 4, 5 and to a lesser extent, Reach. Which is fine, but blatantly ignoring negative changes to gameplay, and treating people poorly who have well thought out counter arguments and are willing to take the time to even explain in detail why sprint is degrading, is ultimately unhealthy for the community. Same goes for Anti-sprint arguments. Please be kind to your fellow Halo fans.

And for the love of god, can we please stay on topic?

Edit2: I’m going to dispel some common misconceptions about the anti-sprint argument.

  1. We’re not asking for carbon copies of the original trilogy, we ask that the series evolves in a healthy manner. It was the sole purpose of this post.
  2. Sprint alone isn’t the issue; it’s the rest of Halo being forcibly balanced out to accommodate it. You don’t just put a foreign mechanic like sprint into Halo and it just magically works. If this was the case, there never would have been a problem with it in the first place. It changes everything from map design to weapon balance. The game ends up drastically changing from the ground up, which is exactly what we’re fighting against.

Actually, thats not a bad idea. It would put rewards back into the maps and these mechanics are not essential nor are they game breaking. The result, a power weapon spawn and AA spawn equally effective in the right hands (kinda like Reach, which is my point that even though the game had these new abilities, they could be taken out with extreme ease). The thrust abilities kinda seem pointless to me and I would love to have the option of just not touching it, however it would definitely create a positive change in map design, which currently is just “scale it all up 40% and decrease base speed to compensate”. Good constructive criticism, but unfortunately 343 probably wont even glance at this post.

One more thing, H2 and H3 had this idea. Speed boost anyone? Custom power ups? they dont change maps, just priorities.

> 2533274959783086;2:
> …but unfortunately 343 probably wont even glance at this post.

God, I wish this wasn’t true. But thank you.

> 2533274830444029;1:
> 2. A mechanic that I will refer to as “Thrust”. Imagine a meter that could be spent on mobility options on the fly, that constantly recharges, but could only be spent on one option at a time. Tap or hold a button to place you in Thrust mode, and you are able add a variety of mobility options, without breaking the above rules. In Thrust mode you can: Press crouch to slide in any relatively forward direction, hold your melee to charge up a spartan charge, and stablize in the air regardless of zoom if you jump. There are many possibilities past these if we’re willing to bend Rule 3, such as wall running and or scaling, faster reloading and/or mantling.

You know, I really like this idea. I had a similar thought in the past but never put it into words. I think you wouldn’t even need an additional button, most if not all of these mechanics could be implemented using the jump button, so there’s less clutter on the gamepad.

Crouch + Direction + Jump = Slide
(Jump + Direction + Crouch = Crouch Jump)
Hold down Melee = Charge
Hold down Jump = Stabilize
Hold down Reload = Instant Reload
Stabilize + Direction = Mantling

If sprint is genuinely just intended to be a tool used to traverse larger areas in a shorter span of time, then having guns ready while sprinting should be a perfectly good solution. Just allow us to shoot while we sprint…

I’ve suggested this probably hundreds of times now, and every single time, everyone (including the sprint lovers/defenders) always responds by asking me, “Sure, sounds fine to me, but why not just increase base movement speeds?” . . . and I never respond, because their question is precisely the one which myself and many, many other longtime Halo fans have been tossing out there for six years. Why not just increase base movement speeds?

I personally like sprint as it is, I honestly don’t see anything wrong with it. :confused:

> 2533274875773841;7:
> I personally like sprint as it is, I honestly don’t see anything wrong with it. :confused:

Fair enough, but if you don’t see what’s wrong with it then you’re simply ignoring or not bothering to look at all the harm it does to gameplay. Not saying you have to hate sprint. It’s perfectly OK for you to not mind it.

But let me ask you: Would you be upset if Halo 6 ditched sprint in favor of higher base movement speeds. Interested to hear your answer.

You know, you don’t have to use sprint, and you can tailor your gameplay to take advantage of those who do use it.

> 2535406658680196;9:
> You know, you don’t have to use sprint, and you can tailor your gameplay to take advantage of those who do use it.

^This. Can you calmly illustrate why sprint is hurting everything?

> 2535406658680196;9:
> You know, you don’t have to use sprint, and you can tailor your gameplay to take advantage of those who do use it.

You mean tailor it like you did your post here?

Would it bother you to not have sprint in Halo 6, if you could still move about or just as fast as you do when sprinting in H5?

Thing is with sprint, it didn’t add to he gameplay. It makes you go faster people say. It doesn’t because the maps are being dtretched out to accomodate for your raise of speed. You ever saw how big Truth is compared to Midship?

This is daft sprint while it could be tweaked i guess to make it more useful i do believe that their should be disadvantages to using our spartan abilities i.e Ground pound makes you a sitting duck and so forth. But that isn’t to say i would be unhappy if it went. I just think Halo 5 made a spartan feel like a super soldier you know?. Some of the old halos you seemed to move like Robocop lol.

> 2533274809055865;10:
> > 2535406658680196;9:
> > You know, you don’t have to use sprint, and you can tailor your gameplay to take advantage of those who do use it.
>
>
> ^This. Can you calmly illustrate why sprint is hurting everything?

  1. Ever turn a corner? Someone randomly spartan charges you? And you’re pretty much dead because it’s near impossible to retaliate?
  2. Radar. Someone can sprint up behind you, and you won’t see it coming because you won’t be able to see them on the radar until they assassinate you.
  3. Map design.
  4. Enemies can escape a lot easier.
  5. Fundamentally just changes the way the game is played.

I didn’t see it at first, but come on. It’s obvious that it’s played way differently than any other Halo. Which doesn’t make sense considering it’s a sequel.

> 2533274793616507;14:
> > 2533274809055865;10:
> > > 2535406658680196;9:
> > > You know, you don’t have to use sprint, and you can tailor your gameplay to take advantage of those who do use it.
> >
> >
> > ^This. Can you calmly illustrate why sprint is hurting everything?
>
>
> 1. Ever turn a corner? Someone randomly spartan charges you? And you’re pretty much dead because it’s near impossible to retaliate?
> 2. Radar. Someone can sprint up behind you, and you won’t see it coming because you won’t be able to see them on the radar until they assassinate you.
> 3. Map design.
> 4. Enemies can escape a lot easier.
> 5. Fundamentally just changes the way the game is played.
> I didn’t see it at first, but come on. It’s obvious that it’s played way differently than any other Halo. Which doesn’t make sense considering it’s a sequel.

Doesn’t make sense? hell they even made a reason for it in game as part of the universe etc. Games evolve as do Spartans as the years go on. Obviously the GEN2 Armor will do different things than previous Armor sets I.e thrusters, which lead to charge and then ground pound. And 1 and 2 are down to situational awareness.

There HAS to be some correlation between the fact that as soon as sprint got introduced into halo things started to go downhill

what I would like to see is a system where if you run straight forward after a couple seconds your speed will increase but you can still shoot while “sprinting”, it is absolutely imperative in Halo that you are never separated from your ability to fire or throw grenades IMO, clamber also ruins this aspect since it changes the platforming element in a big way forcing players to put their guns away to make jumps

> 2533274885506317;15:
> > 2533274793616507;14:
> > > 2533274809055865;10:
> > > > 2535406658680196;9:
> > > > You know, you don’t have to use sprint, and you can tailor your gameplay to take advantage of those who do use it.
> > >
> > >
> > > ^This. Can you calmly illustrate why sprint is hurting everything?
> >
> >
> > 1. Ever turn a corner? Someone randomly spartan charges you? And you’re pretty much dead because it’s near impossible to retaliate?
> > 2. Radar. Someone can sprint up behind you, and you won’t see it coming because you won’t be able to see them on the radar until they assassinate you.
> > 3. Map design.
> > 4. Enemies can escape a lot easier.
> > 5. Fundamentally just changes the way the game is played.
> >
> > I didn’t see it at first, but come on. It’s obvious that it’s played way differently than any other Halo. Which doesn’t make sense considering it’s a sequel.
>
>
> Doesn’t make sense? hell they even made a reason for it in game as part of the universe etc. Games evolve as do Spartans as the years go on. Obviously the GEN2 Armor will do different things than previous Armor sets I.e thursters, which lead to charge and then ground pound. And 1 and 2 are down to situational awareness.

Yeah, evolve with the times. Sprint is so new to games. Halo has to adapt, breh!

I sold my girlfriend’s car while she was on a vacation with her girlfriends two weeks ago. I combined that money with the trade-in value of my own car, and I bought myself a brand new Hummer. She was so pissed when she got back… She screamed at me, “HOW AM I GOING TO GET TO WORK???”… I told her (calmly of course), “Baby, things evolve. You just gotta adapt with change as it comes”. She was still a little upset, but she totally understood.

I just thought I’d share this story with you Waypointers bc I’d have never thought to use “evolution” as a legitimate, undebatable cause for any/everything if not for reading many of y’all’s posts here. Oh, and the Hummer is sick btw! #GarageEvolved

> 2533274875773841;7:
> I personally like sprint as it is, I honestly don’t see anything wrong with it. :confused:

Watch some of your multi player games in theater mode. If you are in an engagement the first couple guys to die far too often spawn behind the enemy team. Sprint allows them to quickly reenter the the same battle they were just eliminated from.

> 2533274793616507;14:
> > 2533274809055865;10:
> > > 2535406658680196;9:
> > > You know, you don’t have to use sprint, and you can tailor your gameplay to take advantage of those who do use it.
> >
> >
> > ^This. Can you calmly illustrate why sprint is hurting everything?
>
>
> 1. Ever turn a corner? Someone randomly spartan charges you? And you’re pretty much dead because it’s near impossible to retaliate?
> 2. Radar. Someone can sprint up behind you, and you won’t see it coming because you won’t be able to see them on the radar until they assassinate you.
> 3. Map design.
> 4. Enemies can escape a lot easier.
> 5. Fundamentally just changes the way the game is played.
>
> I didn’t see it at first, but come on. It’s obvious that it’s played way differently than any other Halo. Which doesn’t make sense considering it’s a sequel.

Thanks, very good points, and I agree with many of them, there are aggravating elements to it I agree. But maybe some of those illustrate actual ‘advantages’ of using sprint rather than problems, if you know what I mean. Gun down and no shield recharge are massive disadvantages, whereas perhaps escaping, and the ability to close ground on people more rapidly balance it out? I don’t feel like I get my butt kicked due to sprint, but more to bad positioning on my part

> 2533274885506317;15:
> Doesn’t make sense? hell they even made a reason for it in game as part of the universe etc. Games evolve as do Spartans as the years go on. Obviously the GEN2 Armor will do different things than previous Armor sets I.e thrusters, which lead to charge and then ground pound. And 1 and 2 are down to situational awareness.

So because the armor evolved I can no longer shoot while running? Seems like hell of a downgrade to me. Can I please have the old armor back?