Mixing static spawns with random weapon drops

Most of the issues revolving around random weapon drops was that they occurred in areas that made them too hard to predict. But what if we blended the old and the new together in a way that kept the key weapon spawn locations the same, and provided some variety in what spawned there?

For instance, using The Pit as an example, what if initially all the default weapons (2 Snipers, 2 Shotguns, 1 Rocket Launcher, 1 Energy Sword, 1 OS, one Camo) all spawned in their traditional locations. Then as the match progressed, the weapons that spawned in those places got a little variety.

The Sniper spawn could, over the course of the game, spawn Beam Rifles, Focus Rifles, or Binary Rifles at random. The Shotgun spawn could turn out to be Scattershots. Rockets could spawn an Incineration Cannon. And the Sword could have a chance to be the Hammer.

This adds some variety and a small random factor without necessarily getting in the way of balance and flow.

I can see the Sword/Hammer and Shotgun/Scattergun potentially work. It will highly depend on how balanced the two pairs can be.

Currently, the Beam Rifle is a much easier weapon to use thanks to the high aim assist allowing players to no scope pretty easy compared to the other rifles, plusit always have more ammo than the Sniper Rifle, allowing them to get even more kills than they would have. Then there is the 1SK Binary Rifle.

I think it can work on some weapon spawns, but I don’t think all of them can be done. It will have to be handled on the situation, instead of a wide sweep, as all weapons have varying power and can be better than the other. But, yeah. I can see this being something cool.

Random ordinances were there because frankie and some others at 343 thought there was a problem with weapon spawn camping , it was random because it was the intention of being that why .

I don’t like random ordinances drops that much, but they can already make weapons have static spawns anyway in team slayer and legendary BRs. If there was a problem then they are a few ways 343 can change it without making relatively pointless of what the goal was suppose to be. They can make so that everyone has drop recon or the announcer or a prompt announces when and where a pw will drop . Also no need to change the random ordinances to what you are suggest since you can already do that in halo 4

IMO, the worst part of random PODs and RODs was never knowing what weapons my enemies could have. True, The Sniper, Beam, and Binary rifles are all similar in function and role, but each are slightly more powerful–the Beam Rifle has more magnetism than the Sniper, and the Binary Rifle is a one-shot-kill. In a close match of CTF on The Pit, a team may win or lose not because they were more skilled or organized (superior) than the other team, but because they happened to get a better or more appropriate weapon at the weapon spawn. It’s still a variable that is completely out of control of the players.

In my opinion, if you’re trying to give more variety to weapons used in matchmaking, then have different weapons spawn on different maps. Sure, the Sword spawned in The Pit, but the Hammer spawned in Guardian. Perhaps on Covenant-themed maps, Beam Rifles could spawn instead of Sniper Rifles. Or on Forerunner-themed maps, Incineration Cannons could spawn instead of Rocket Launchers. Variety need not come at the expense of predictable game behavior.

> IMO, the worst part of random PODs and RODs was never knowing what weapons my enemies could have. True, The Sniper, Beam, and Binary rifles are all similar in function and role, but each are slightly more powerful–the Beam Rifle has more magnetism than the Sniper, and the Binary Rifle is a one-shot-kill. In a close match of CTF on The Pit, a team may win or lose not because they were more skilled or organized (superior) than the other team, but because they happened to get a better or more appropriate weapon at the weapon spawn. It’s still a variable that is completely out of control of the players.
>
> In my opinion, if you’re trying to give more variety to weapons used in matchmaking, then have different weapons spawn on different maps. Sure, the Sword spawned in The Pit, but the Hammer spawned in Guardian. Perhaps on Covenant-themed maps, Beam Rifles could spawn instead of Sniper Rifles. Or on Forerunner-themed maps, Incineration Cannons could spawn instead of Rocket Launchers. Variety need not come at the expense of predictable game behavior.

That’s the thing though, certain weapons can be easily tweaked. The magnetism on the Beam Rifle was no higher than the Sniper in Halo 2 and 3. And the Binary still plays differently enough that they are balanced in the end when you go Sniper vs Binary (because a single shot messes up his aim, and aiming alone gives away his position)

And worse comes to worst, when there’s one spawn per base, rig it so that it’s the same on either side no matter which comes up.

There was no problem with the old system, none. I am going to use one of my posts from another topic as my reference points showing the benefits of the old system:

Static spawn encourage map control gameplay.

Map Control is GOOD. Players know where other players will roughly be, so don’t get ambushed as easily. Now, you could argue that a good player should always be ready, and yes they should, but the thing is, cat and mouse does not make for good game play. people can go minutes without seeing another player, whereas with Map control, you know where to go, where to get back into the fight and attempt to gain control for yourself. and players feel a sense of accomplishment in this, taking players away from their good spots. Halo 4 eliminated this, and it is bad for gameplay.