Misconceptions about Competitive Community

Sigh, this is going to be painful.

1. Competitive players only want BR starts only.

False. The BR has random spread and a relatively low killtime. Many competitive players are pushing for settings that use the Lightrifle or DMR instead, because they are more accurate and therefore outcomes are determined more by skill than random spread.

Others argue that the BR is the best because it encourages map movement due to its poor accuracy and effective range. But not all or even most consider the BR to be the best choice.

2. Competitive players hate loadouts.

False. Many competitive settings utilize loadouts. I’m sure you’ve all seen Deluxe settings, but there are many other popular settings such as GoldPro that make use of multiple weapons in loadouts.

Not all competitive settings utilize loadouts, but it would be incorrect to say none of them do.

3. Competitive players only care about CSR.

False. While ranks can encourage competitive play and can be fun to show off, they aren’t the end-all to competitive gaming. Competitive players care about equal and fair settings first and foremost. Ranks are just an icing on the cake.

4. Competitive players strip down the game for the hell of it.

False. They remove options that give unfair advantages.

For instance, holding the high ground is key in maps like Abandon. Jetpacks can just fly up there, or even eliminate the need for that high ground to begin with because you can always just gain height by flying anyways. Regeneration field allows you to utilize cover for an advantage in 1v1’s. Personal Ordnance gives out random power weapons, so the team that has an advantage is randomly picked regardless if they are better or not.

So on so forth. If something has been removed it is because it is imbalanced in some form or another.

Sometimes, but not always, they also remove options for the sake of speeding up gameplay, even if said options are balanced.

For instance, Hardlight shield allows you to retreat without much threat from long ranges.

Good post though im pretty sure the br spreads upward in a straight line. I think thats why they kept it in team throwdown

Not a competitive player, but I agree with you. Especially pertaining #1 and to #3.

Nice to see some not-so-negative feed back, thanks for your input.

<mark>Yes this is true</mark> not everyone in the competitive community thinks the same thing.

Although I do want BR starts (as it encourages people to learn how to strafe), I do dislike loadouts (they could work but not in this game) and I really think CSR is very important for preventing quitting.

Apparently (as some other guy told me the other day) the majority of THC wants DMR starts although not many people on here seem to want them.

Well, this thread is one that I can actually agree with; no hate, just a sensible explanation of the wants of the competitive players (Some of then at least). This is much better wording than “This is unbalanced and it ruins the game”. I seriously would like for you guys to get your version of the game, seriously.

Good luck.

> Apparently (as some other guy told me the other day) the majority of THC wants DMR starts although not many people on here seem to want them.

This is true, however that doesnt mean we like the DMR as is. Most agree it needs a decrease in aim assist and descope over flinch.

The thing we DONT want is for the DMR to get a damage nerf. There are other ways to fix the sandbox without making kill times longer. I think that is one of the major concerns right now.

I fall on the side of the DMR but its hard to be super faithful due to the DMR in its current state.

> And who do you think you are to make all of these conclusions? The face of competitive players?

This post is a compilation of different popular viewpoints I’ve seen along with the popularly accepted definition of competitive gaming itself. Competitive gaming is about balance, skill and equality, you can’t say Halo CE was uncompetitive just because it lacked ranks.

I included as many different viewpoints as possible. I didn’t outright say “competitive players all hate BR starts” or “no one in the competitive community cares about ranks”. I listed explanations as to why people prefer BR starts and why people do not for instance.

I’m not saying what I listed is 100% accurate or true for each individual person. But I would say it is what the competitive community thinks in general.

I’m not some elected spokesperson. I’m just saying this is what I think, this is what I’ve seen a lot of other people think, and here are some things that people don’t agree with even though they fall under the same category.

> Good post though im pretty sure the br spreads upward in a straight line. I think thats why they kept it in team throwdown

No, it does not. Spread is 100% random. It recoils upward, but the bullets spread in a cone, and is randomized every trigger pull.

The thing about the BR is it awards the player with steadier aim and better movement in a 1 vs 1.The last thing you want to do is stand still and spam the BR.Best thing to do is 4 shots to chest and 5th at the head.While remaining as mobile as possible such as jumping and strafing.Preferably at the same time lol.

Problem with the DMR is that it has no range limitation at the moment and strafing/better movement is irrelevant against it.Mostly due to the DMR god like aim assist and bullet magnetism.Which falls even outside of its reticule.You can almost and in some cases you can fight someone 1 vs 1 without even using the right stick since the game will aim and hit the target for you.

The LR has low aim assist but moderate magnetism, its spread its much smaller out of scope which allows for more accurate shots.The scopes shots are single shots like the DMR but have a barely noticeable flight time which makes it harder to shoots cross map.The LR also gives the players multiple options in how to engage someone.Such as 2 scoped shots and 2 unscoped shots to kill someone.Its a interesting gun.

The Carbine is…uh…Spam away!Then reload.Its a inconsistent POS.I hope that thing gets a small damage buff.Kill times are unpredictable with that thing.Sometimes i can manage to hit all 8 shots, other times its take a entire mag or i’m dead.

Somehow i ended up giving my view on the precision guns, owell.If you read it all, cool.If not, Cool!

All precision weapons have the same aim assist gravitation.
All precision weapons have the same magnetism, except the carbine which has slightly more.

The difference is the range of the aim assist, where the DMR has the most aim assist range, the LR is second, and the BR/carbine are both third.

I just want a Halo 3 Social Slayer playlist. That is good enough for me.
It was a casual-competitive playlist and that’s why I loved Halo 3.

whoops…

> 2. Competitive players hate loadouts.
>
> False. Many competitive settings utilize loadouts. I’m sure you’ve all seen Deluxe settings, but there are many other popular settings such as GoldPro that make use of multiple weapons in loadouts.
>
> Not all competitive settings utilize loadouts, but it would be incorrect to say none of them do.

I think this is the biggest concern I have with “Competitive” players. Many call for the death of AA’s, Packages and load outs without thinking more than.

We’re not starting the same so it’s not balanced.

Very few competitive games start everyone on an even playing field. Football players have different stats, Basketball players are different heights, magic decks are almost always different, and fencers have had their weapons customized to fit their fighting style.

For example I tried two threads, one that tried to find settings using load outs, (restricting/banning weapons, AAs and packages) and it was flamed to all hell when most of the questions had been answered in the opening post.

The second was a way to balance the tactical package sandbox, and it was simply ignored.

If things are so awful as people exclaim them to be you should be trying to figure out ways to make them work. If a hero enters DotA 2 unbalanced, people sit down and look at it from all angles. Synergy with heroes, items, positioning on the map, counter picks, before even suggesting a change and at most drastic an entire re-work. Something I think the competitive community can deserve to look at.

I just think it’s important to add that there are many casual players who prefer balanced gameplay but aren’t necissarily competitive.

I find it very frustrating when I voice my opinion, and people say “then just go play throwback if you like the old halos!”

First of all it’s throwdown and second of all, I’m looking for balanced gameplay which doesn’t have to mean classic or competitive.

Dont have a huge problem with ordinance drops though they definately need tweeking

A Storm is Coming, Mr. Wayne.

Im adaptable

> Sigh, this is going to be painful.

I hope you’re not feeling any pain, cause you don’t deserve any. This is a good post.

We all know that only certain members of the competitive community will go to ridiculous lengths to express their dislike of current settings. Halo is and always will be a work in progress. Patience is a virtue. There is more to this game than multiplayer competitive settings. Way more.

Any competitive player that can express their opinion without the drama is always welcome. Someone like you.

> > 2. Competitive players hate loadouts.
> >
> > False. Many competitive settings utilize loadouts. I’m sure you’ve all seen Deluxe settings, but there are many other popular settings such as GoldPro that make use of multiple weapons in loadouts.
> >
> > Not all competitive settings utilize loadouts, but it would be incorrect to say none of them do.
>
> I think this is the biggest concern I have with “Competitive” players. Many call for the death of AA’s, Packages and load outs without thinking more than.
>
> We’re not starting the same so it’s not balanced.
>
> Very few competitive games start everyone on an even playing field. Football players have different stats, Basketball players are different heights, magic decks are almost always different, and fencers have had their weapons customized to fit their fighting style.
>
> For example I tried two threads, one that tried to find settings using load outs, (restricting/banning weapons, AAs and packages) and it was flamed to all hell when most of the questions had been answered in the opening post.
>
> The second was a way to balance the tactical package sandbox, and it was simply ignored.
>
> If things are so awful as people exclaim them to be you should be trying to figure out ways to make them work. If a hero enters DotA 2 unbalanced, people sit down and look at it from all angles. Synergy with heroes, items, positioning on the map, counter picks, before even suggesting a change and at most drastic an entire re-work. Something I think the competitive community can deserve to look at.

Agreed 100%, and I can give another example of a highly competitive sport where all players do not have the same starting equipment - GOLF. While each player is limited to 14 clubs in the bag (a loadout if you will), they can have any combination of clubs in the bag as long as they conform to USGA or R&A specifications. They can use either graphite or steel shafts (though few professionals use graphite unless it is in a wood/driver). They also play the course at different times of the day which makes the course play differently due to course condition (divots and ball marks), temperature, wind, and other weather conditions. I have yet to see a golfer complain that they lost because of random weather - they deal with it, improvise, and make the best of the conditions at hand.

I also find it preposterous that these “competitive” players feel that jet packs unbalance the game. Just because you cannot play in 3 dimensions does not make it unbalanced, it means you are unable to adapt to another variable (much like Khan in Star Trek II). You would think that some of these die hards would only have a fair, even match if all players lined up on opposing sides facing each other with one shot in the barrel like the pre Revolutionary War battles. They are like the English complaining about how guerilla warfare wasn’t fair during that time.