MISCELLANEOUS SECTION?

In essence, a section where we can talk about anything and everything. You would think that “General Discussion” would be it but it specifically says “discuss Xbox and Halo topics”. I’m talking about a section where we can talk about music, movies, news, real life etc… ANYTHING not Halo related.

I didn’t frequent B.net much but the Flood section was similar to this, right? I’m sure that I’m not the first to bring this up so I ask why this hasn’t been implemented yet.

There is a whole place dedicated for this, and it is in a topic called ‘Yo!’.

Click here to go to Yo!.

That’s a thread though, and I am aware of its existence. I’m thinking of a section where topics can be created and people who wanna talk about a specific movie, an artist/genre of music, a video game, a video, a show, etc… can just go there instead of having to bring up a certain topic in a thread and hope people won’t ignore them.

It would be more organized in my opinion. Honestly, keeping ALL misc. talk in ONE thread isn’t the smartest idea.

It was trailed and failed during the Gamma stages of the forums which was a few months back, Yo! was found to be a better substitute so they kept it.

> It was trailed and failed during the Gamma stages of the forums which was a few months back, Yo! was found to be a better substitute so they kept it.

May I ask why?

I just don’t see how people would prefer one thread that is supposed to cover all misc. talk, taking into consideration that “miscellaneous” constitutes an innumerable amount of things. From what I see, “Yo!” is just a thread where members interact with each other and occasionally talk about a specific matter (like the ME3 demo posts I see in the latest page or two).

For example, if I wanna discuss a new Drake song, I would rather make a thread about it than a post in a cluttered page which will most likely be overlooked for that reason. A thread will always get more traffic.

> > It was trailed and failed during the Gamma stages of the forums which was a few months back, Yo! was found to be a better substitute so they kept it.
>
> May I ask why?
>
> I just don’t see how people would prefer one thread that is supposed to cover all misc. talk, taking into consideration that “miscellaneous” constitutes an innumerable amount of things. From what I see, “Yo!” is just a thread where members interact with each other and occasionally talk about a specific matter (like the ME3 demo posts I see in the latest page or two).
>
> For example, if I wanna discuss a new Drake song, I would rather make a thread about it than a post in a cluttered page which will most likely be overlooked for that reason. A thread will always get more traffic.

There was too much spam, duplicate topics and in general, arguing in the off-topic section during Gamma, with Yo!, if something big kicks off, an argument for example and it goes on for a while without any moderator attention, then the topic can be locked, posts can be removed/edited, Moderators can send out their warnings, everyone can take a breather, and then continue.
With an off-topic section, someone can just simply make topic, after topic, after topic, after topic, on the same thing while in Yo!, you just make a post, and if anyone wants to make any input on the discussion, they will reply to you, if not, then you try to find another conversation starter, or heck, even hop into the current one.

Take for example how ‘The Flood’ on Bungie.net is, right now it is just trolls, users linking to shock sites and general flaming at each other, the section is a mess, the same would and will happen here.

> > > It was trailed and failed during the Gamma stages of the forums which was a few months back, Yo! was found to be a better substitute so they kept it.
> >
> > May I ask why?
> >
> > I just don’t see how people would prefer one thread that is supposed to cover all misc. talk, taking into consideration that “miscellaneous” constitutes an innumerable amount of things. From what I see, “Yo!” is just a thread where members interact with each other and occasionally talk about a specific matter (like the ME3 demo posts I see in the latest page or two).
> >
> > For example, if I wanna discuss a new Drake song, I would rather make a thread about it than a post in a cluttered page which will most likely be overlooked for that reason. A thread will always get more traffic.
>
> There was too much spam, duplicate topics and in general, arguing in the off-topic section during Gamma, with Yo!, if something big kicks off, an argument for example and it goes on for a while without any moderator attention, then the topic can be locked, posts can be removed/edited, Moderators can send out their warnings, everyone can take a breather, and then continue.
> With an off-topic section, someone can just simply make topic, after topic, after topic, after topic, on the same thing while in Yo!, you just make a post, and if anyone wants to make any input on the discussion, they will reply to you, if not, then you try to find another conversation starter, or heck, even hop into the current one.
>
> Take for example how ‘The Flood’ on Bungie.net is, right now it is just trolls, users linking to shock sites and general flaming at each other, the section is a mess, the same would and will happen here.

I had a lengthy, in-depth response to this but I just lost it…

I’ll just summarize it I guess.

Arguing is all over the forum. It couldn’t be much more than the arguing in the H4 section. IMO, arguing is good as long as it doesn’t turn personal. Duplicate threads can be merged and/or deleted. It shouldn’t too much a daunting task. I understand that managing Yo! is much easier for the mods but it really isn’t ideal at all. No one likes to be ignored and Yo! doesn’t guarantee AT ALL that someone is gonna respond to you and ensue in a discussion about the topic you presented. A thread will always get more traffic/views than a single post in 20-post page ever will. A thread almost guarantees you a response. The off-topic section will surely get more views than Yo! does because there’s not really a whole section’s population present in Yo!. It will bring in different people with different interests which is sure to provide diverse discussion.

I doubt the off-topic section here would suffer the same fate because of the mods here and how strict they are. Plus, the members here really aren’t similar at all to B.net’s.