Military Salutations

So I know its something that one should stop thinking about because its science fiction but it is going to kill me. What is the Salutation protocols of the UNSCDF?! Because there are circumstances where traditional salute practice is upheld and others where its completely ignored and it is killing me! Has anyone tried to create a unified version of this as to the circumstantial exemptions? Because you’ve got personnel saluting in their BDU’s, their Work Fatigues, their Ceremonial Dress. But not in their Cryo Proof clothing and officers not returning salutes! Can someone explain this to me?

This bugs the crap out of me too.

Especially when MC and Johnson walk off the elevator and two ranks of (I’m assuming) junior enlisted salute them.

That is not protocol, as both are enlisted members of the UNSC.

Fred-104, as a LTJG (a commissioned officer), would be due a salute from MC. It’ll interesting to see if they are ever together in a non-combat scenario in the game and MC does or does not salute him, as we are to believe from the early novels that he holds military traditions very close to his heart.

It is allowed, not required, for every service member regardless of rank to salute, at least in the USA, recipients of the Medal of Honor.

If MC has been awarded the UNSC equivalent, I’m willing to forgive to cutscene salute.

343 feel free to jump in here!

If you need an actual service member to act as a military advisor on traditions and courtesies, where do I apply?! :slight_smile:

Just for the record, it is okay for certain uniforms, typically those that don’t have a cover (hat), to be exempt from saluting.

For example, in the United States Navy, we do not have to salute while in our PT uniform.

> 2618387461932991;2:
> This bugs the crap out of me too.
>
> Especially when MC and Johnson walk off the elevator and two ranks of (I’m assuming) junior enlisted salute them.
>
> That is not protocol, as both are enlisted members of the UNSC.
>
> Fred-104, as a LTJG (a commissioned officer), would be due a salute from MC. It’ll interesting to see if they are ever together in a non-combat scenario in the game and MC does or does not salute him, as we are to believe from the early novels that he holds military traditions very close to his heart.
>
> It is allowed, not required, for every service member regardless of rank to salute, at least in the USA, recipients of the Medal of Honor.
>
> If MC has been awarded the UNSC equivalent, I’m willing to forgive to cutscene salute.
>
> 343 feel free to jump in here!
>
> If you need an actual service member to act as a military advisor on traditions and courtesies, where do I apply?! :slight_smile:
>
> Just for the record, it is okay for certain uniforms, typically those that don’t have a cover (hat), to be exempt from saluting.
>
> For example, in the United States Navy, we do not have to salute while in our PT uniform.

yeah chief is a recipient of the UNSC equivalent of the Medal of Honour

The closest saluting protocol I’ve found is that a CO does not have to return the salute during action; saluting has for the most part completely replaced standing at attention, And a Salute can be brought to bear in any uniform whether that be general work uniform, BDU, fatigues or Ceremonial dress and you can wear hats inside when not at arms… for some reason actually how would that apply inside space stations?
The only problem with this protocol is that it’s ignored numerous times such as the CO returning the Salute or not despite being in times of non action

Watsonian: Despite popular perception, the UNSC isn’t a carbon copy of the US military. Protocol is bound to be different in some respects. Noncoms have been addressed as “Sir” since The Fall of Reach and Combat Evolved, after all.

Doylist: Someone didn’t do the research.